Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Inspiron 5k, mplayer & ATI?

Expand Messages
  • jvarsoke
    I ve recently upgraded (read re-installed) my SuSE 7.3 system to SuSE 8.2. Under 7.3 I had compiled mplayer 0.90rc4 and had video working, though for some
    Message 1 of 2 , May 23, 2003
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      I've recently upgraded (read re-installed) my SuSE 7.3 system to SuSE
      8.2. Under 7.3 I had compiled mplayer 0.90rc4 and had video working,
      though for some AVI/MPEG files I needed to use -hardframedrop. I
      never did anything special about the drivers and thus could only get
      -vo x11 to work. I was also using an older version of XFree86
      (whatever was new last year).

      But now that I've upgraded, DLed mplayer 0.91 and started using the
      ATI XFree86 driver recommended in the README for my 3D Rage P/M
      Mobility AGP 2x card (driver==Gatos from http://gatos.sourceforge.net)
      I get very odd results. While I can now use the -vo xv drivers all
      the drivers seem to have the same poor results. I get the message
      that my system is too slow (500MHz, 512Meg RAM), which I didn't get
      under SuSE 7.3, and while I can get a DVD to play I hickups ever 3
      seconds. -hardframedrop does not seem to help. And it doesn't matter
      how I resize the screen. Even a 20x20 pixel screen will produce the
      same results (which I find odd).

      I've compiled mplayer from the source and used --disable-cpu-detect,
      but I still can't seem to get any performance out of it.

      Anyone else have any luck?

      -jason
    • jvarsoke
      Upon further digging and experimenting I found that it was primarily the DVD playback that produced the problems. And when the cache was full there was no
      Message 2 of 2 , May 24, 2003
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        Upon further digging and experimenting I found that it was primarily
        the DVD playback that produced the problems. And when the cache was
        full there was no stutter. I guess all this new video driver stuff I
        was playing with was a goose chase. Anyway, after delving into the
        FM, of RTFM fame, I found this little line to set the DMA access on
        the drive:

        hdparm -d1 -a8 -u1 /dev/hdc

        my system is still a tad slow, but watchable.

        -j
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.