Suspending A Dell I8.1K Experience & Howto

  • mpierce
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2003
      I've read everything on this and for the longest period of time, could
      not get this to work; a real tell of woe. After switching to LibraNet2.8
      (Debian based OS), I was determined to get it to work (see my post on my
      experience with this OS).

      Libranet uses kernel2.4.20 by default. My Inspiron has 256Mb Ram and a
      Nivida GEForce2GO video card with 32Mb of ram.My bios version is A13.

      Here is what I did to get it to work using a stock standard kernel2.4.20
      with both ACPI and APM enabled (my XFree86 is 4.3):

      1) Downloaded the package from Dell to create the S2D partition. This is
      difficult to locate on the Dell site. Everyone seems to refer to the
      what software to use to actually create the partition but not the
      The package name is RH7S2d.exe
      You will have to create a bootable floppy on a WIN machine by running
      this file and all the necessary packages will be there.

      2) Your hd will have to be setup correctly to allow you to use the tools
      in the package to create your S2D partition when you reboot your machine
      with your formatted floppy.
      My hd is formatted as so:
      hda1 Primary OS/2 hidden C drive 238.54*
      Logical Free 79.03
      hda5 Logical Linux ReiserFS 5765.93 /
      hda6 Logical Linux ext2 16.46 /boot
      hda7 Logical Linux ReiserFS 271.44 swap
      hda8 Logical Linux ReiserFS 370.14 /tmp
      hda9 Logical Linux ReiserFS 370.14 /var
      hda10 Logical Linux ReiserFS 2360.66 /usr/local
      hda3 Primary Linux ReiserFS 6292.34 /public
      hda4 Primary Linux ReiserFS 14246.19 /home

      *I left the space to create S2D as hda1 as everyone says to do this.
      The formula to know how much space is (system ram + video ram)*1.1 which
      gives some overhead (if I were recreating this to be on the safe side, I
      would double it to be able to increase system ram). The Dell program
      which I used to create the space, created the file type on the partition
      and left the free space after it.

      3) Your bootable floopy will have a number of tools on it. You will only
      need to really use fdisk and either mks2d.exe or phdisk.exe. (Dell says
      that Inspiron computers should use phdisk.exe to create the S2D. This
      was not the case with my experience as phdisk.exe did not work. I'll
      investigate this later.)

      Use fdisk and display your partitions. Now here is the moment of truth
      hda1 must be deleted using fdisk. Don't be chicken - delete the damn
      thing. Your sys will then ask to reboot. Reboot and now use one of the
      tools either mks2d.exe or phdisk.exe and let it create your S2D
      partition. Remove the disk when it is done and reboot.

      Your partition is there. Reboot into Linux and use cfdisk as root and
      verify this.

      4) Now, here is how you suspend. Your computer will not suspend if you
      are connected to your port replicator so, don't bother wasting your time
      fooling around with this. I don't know where your files are located if
      you are using RedHat or Mandrake or some other distro so, you'll have to
      locate them on your machine. I believe both Redhat and Mandrake install
      the necessary files by default.
      a) logout of your window manager
      b) ctrl+alt+f1 to a term and login as root
      c) kill the xserver, ie, /etc/init.d/gdm stop
      d) unload the nvidia driver with rmmod nvidia*
      e) fn+suspend

      You've suspended your system. To power up, briefly push the power
      button. (Fn+a complains that there is not enough space but will also
      suspend it after bitching.)

      If someone would have explained all of this in detail, I would have been
      able to get this working rather quickly and hopefully, this will enable
      you to do so.

      There are on my system in /etc/apm/ a number of scripts which restart
      pcmcia and reset my keyboard rate after a power up. All I have to do is
      pump -i eth1 (my Xircom card) and my networking is restored.

      Hope I've helped someone!