Re: Harddisk replacement for Inspiron 8000

  • myronsussman
    Message 1 of 5 , May 6, 2003
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, John Vorstermans
      <john@s...> wrote:
      > Hi All.
      >
      > I am starting to get lots of errors from my 40G Hard drive from a
      cold
      > boot. Looks like it is on the way out. Tried a reformat but no
      > different.
      >
      > Can anyone point me to a good source for these drives? Possibly
      > upgrading to a larger one?
      >
      > What should I be looking for?
      >
      > Regards
      > John

      I recently upgraded the hard drive on my I8000. I bought a
      Toshiba MK4019GAX 40GB 5400 from knowledgeMicro.com. They have
      a good price (about $130, total with shipping about $140) and
      the product was shipped promptly. They do not provide tech
      support. I somehow ended up clicking twice and ordering two
      drives, but they took care of it without any problem and I
      got only one drive.

      Any IDE drive that is 9.5 mm will do.

      The hardest part is deciding how to move information from
      the old hard drive to the new one. I chose to purchase a
      media-bay carrier from Dell ($30 or so--don't forget to
      buy the screws, too. Ony some hardware stores carry them:
      M2.5 x 8 worked for me, but shorter would be OK) and put my
      old 20 GB drive (IBM) into it. Then I used Gnu parted
      to partition the new drive and copy the partitions from
      the old hard drive to the new one. I have a FAT32 Windows
      partition that copied fine, and the copy was bootable. When
      I am sure the new drive is OK, I plan to use the old drive
      as a backup device and for occasional extra storage.