Re: [linux-dell-laptops] '4DOS command search mode' in linux shell

  • W.K. Vladmir Ward
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2003
      My root shell on my BSD box is csh and does the same
      thing (e.g. 'cat' then up arrow would go to 'cat
      /var/log/messages')

      Yeah yeah, csh, I'm rather aware, but since it's
      running fine I don't want to muckle it up trying to
      switch the account to bash (tried once and failed
      miserably... as in had to reformat my drive -- don't
      ask, I have no idea how it got so bad). Do you know
      how to make it *not* do this, so that I can
      up/down-arrow and scroll through my commands? I don't
      know nearly as much csh stuff as bash.

      --- Iker Losada <tec.lox@...> wrote:

      > I newer regreted having switched to Linux, but there
      > was one feature I
      > missed from 4DOS, it is bash-history search. Lets
      > make it clear with an
      > example, if you write this sequence of commands:
      >
      > > ls
      > > cat mylog
      > > ls
      > > cat /var/log/messages
      > > cd /
      > > ls
      >
      > In a normal linux shell by pressing once up arrow
      > key you get the last
      > command, in the example:
      >
      > > cd /
      >
      > By pressing it again you get:
      >
      > > cat /var/log/messages
      >
      > In a 4Dos shell you can write:
      >
      > >cat
      >
      > and the press up arrow key and you will get
      > directly:
      > > cat /var/log/messages
      >
      > by pressing it once again you get:
      > > cat mylog
      >
      > If any of you like this feature can type the
      > following commands in the
      > shell:
      >
      > >bind '"\M-[A": history-search-backward'
      > >bind '"\M-[B": history-search-forward'
      >
      > If after trying you do like it, you can add both
      > lines to .bashrc
      >
      > Hope it's usefull for any of you.
      >
      > Best Regards,
      > Iker Losada
      > tec.lox@...

      =====

      "Black as holes within a memory... blue as our new second sun...
      I stick my hand into the shadows to pull the pieces from the sand,
      Which I attempt to reassemble, to see just who I might have been.
      I do not recognize the vessel, but the eyes seem so familiar...
      Like phosphorescent desert buttons singing one familiar song..."

      - Tool, "Third Eye"

      http://search.yahoo.com