Re: gkrellm fan plugin [was: My laptop's intrusive noisy fan]

  • Dave Kristol
    Message 1 of 14 , May 5 4:02 PM
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "zecoj" <zecoj@y...> wrote:
      > Dave,
      > I'm quite sure that
      > gtk-config is in libgtk+*devel* package
      > imlib-config is in libimlib*-devel-* package
      > I'm running MDK9.1 and all of these packages are included in the CD's.
      >
      > I've done that so long ago, and after finish building, I packed 'em up
      > for backup and they seem to do the job ;). I believe it asked for
      > some gtk development libs and imlib (image rendering library for X)
      >
      > after finish building, load up i8k, get i8kutils from here:
      > http://people.debian.org/~dz/i8k/

      I feel like I'm descending into a rathole. I loaded gtk+-devel and
      imlib-devel packages (and their dependencies) and find I need header,
      gkrellm2/gkrellm.h. I find I (think I) can get that from the gkrellm
      source RPM, but the i8krellm Makefile doesn't automatically pick it
      up. (Heck, installing the source RPM merely drops the .tar.bz2 into
      /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES.) Anyway, I think, with further effort I
      could get the thing to build, but, gee, there must be an easier way!

      What am I missing?

      Dave Kristol
    • Dave Kristol
      Message 2 of 14 , May 8 7:03 AM
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"
        <dmk-yahoo@k...> wrote:
        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "zecoj" <zecoj@y...> wrote:
        > > Dave,
        > > I'm quite sure that
        > > gtk-config is in libgtk+*devel* package
        > > imlib-config is in libimlib*-devel-* package
        > > I'm running MDK9.1 and all of these packages are included in the
        CD's.

        > > I've done that so long ago, and after finish building, I packed 'em up
        > > for backup and they seem to do the job ;). I believe it asked for
        > > some gtk development libs and imlib (image rendering library for X)
        > >
        > > after finish building, load up i8k, get i8kutils from here:
        > > http://people.debian.org/~dz/i8k/
        >
        > I feel like I'm descending into a rathole. I loaded gtk+-devel and
        > imlib-devel packages (and their dependencies) and find I need header,
        > gkrellm2/gkrellm.h. I find I (think I) can get that from the gkrellm
        > source RPM, but the i8krellm Makefile doesn't automatically pick it
        > up. (Heck, installing the source RPM merely drops the .tar.bz2 into
        > /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES.) Anyway, I think, with further effort I
        > could get the thing to build, but, gee, there must be an easier way!

        I successfully built (and am using) i8krellm on my I8200 with RH8.
        The process was a bit of a nuisance, but it's not impossible. I've
        written the whole thing up at
        <http://kristol.org/david/dell-i8200/i8krellm.html>.

        Dave Kristol