[linux-dell-laptops] New to Linux/UNIX and need some help

  • Andrea Gregg
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 1999
      Here is the configuration of my DELL Inspiron 7500 notebook:
      128MB RAM
      ATI Rage Mobility Pro 3D with 8MB Video RAM
      XGA display (1024x768 max resolution)
      6x DVD Drive
      LS120 Super Drive

      How do I get Linux with X Windows installed properly on to this
      computer ?
      Where do I get the drive to use the LS120 Super Drive ?
      I am very new to Linux, I have only been using since September.
      I am taking an introductory class at school in UNIX, but I need more
      help with
      the hardware stuff. I have been trying to get X Windows to work and I
      have not been doing my school work or my housework. My mother wants me
      to do my school work because I am not doing well in one of my classes
      at school. So if anyone knows of some good books to help me with
      getting X Windows to work I would like that.
    • Neil
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 1999
        On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:09:27 -0800, you wrote:

        >How do I get Linux with X Windows installed properly on to this
        >computer ?

        Which distribution of Linux are you using ? (redhat, Suse ...)

        Neil
      • Terrence O'Connor
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 1999
          Adrea,

          Instead of purchasing books, your best bet is to use the internet. Some good
          sites to try to learn a little more about Linux are:

          www.linux.org - has plenty of "getting started" information
          http://www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html - lists information for specific
          systems like the dell inspiron
          www.rpmfind.net - contains a tool for searching for packages
          www.freshmeat.net - a software repository for Linux systems
          www.slashdot.org - its just kewl... 'nuff said

          As far as suggesting a distribution of Linux, I suggest your best bet is to
          get a copy of RedHat 6.1. It comes with a GUI install, which is nice if you
          are new to Linux / Unix based systems. You can download the RH 6.1 image
          straight from their website http://www.redhat.com/download/ or you can get a
          copy from CompUSA for $20 that comes with a nice manual and installation
          guide and StarOffice (which I do not suggest you install). It comes with the
          choice of installing Gnome or KDE or both... I use Gnome. But if you have
          the space... you might as well use both and find out which one you like
          better. Other people may suggest OpenLinux to you as it is also up and
          coming. But I can't offer as much advice. Hope this helps. later. --tj
        • AndreaG287@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 30, 1999
            I am using Mandrake and also I am trying Open Linux.
          • Neil
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 1999
              On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 21:04:02 EST, you wrote:

              >I am using Mandrake and also I am trying Open Linux.

              I don;t know about Madrake but Suse has a very good X configuration tool which
              makes it easy to get X up and running. Plus Suse comes with an excellent 400
              page manual which covers most of the basics of getting linux up and running.

              Neil