Re: [linux-dell-laptops] inspiron 4000 scsi controller

  • jsc3@gtf.org
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4 4:01 PM
      None of the Dells comes with a built in SCSI controller, at least
      not in recent memory. There is a FireWire controller on some of
      them, but the Inspiron 4000 is not one of them (I have an 8000,
      which does have FireWire, and my wife has a 4000, which does not - so
      I use a PCMCIA card). I can tell you with absolute certainty
      that there is no SCSI built-in on the I4000.

      In fact, it is very rare for ANY laptop to come with SCSI these
      days, and they weren't exactly common even in the past, except
      on some Sun SPARC based laptops I have seen (Tadpole SparcBook)
      and perhaps on some of the Apple laptops.

      If you want SCSI for something, you are probably going to have
      to get a PCMCIA card or some other kind of adapter. I would
      recommend USB 2.0 or FireWire instead unless you have some
      kind of really compelling reason you must use SCSI.

      On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 01:58:51PM -0700, Chris Graves wrote:
      ->
      -> Anyone happen to know what scsi controller is used in an inspiron 4000?
      -> I got this machine a couple years ago (see sys info below) and can't
      -> find much useful information in the "technical" specs on the Dell site.
      ->
      -> P3 900/700MHz
      -> ATI Rage Mobility
      -> 10Gb HDD