Re: [linux-dell-laptops] My laptop's intrusive noisy fan

  • Damon Davison
    Message 1 of 14 , May 4, 2003
      Under Linux, you can control the fans with several tools: gkrellm
      uses i8kfan to control the fans according to temperature
      thresholds you choose. The kind of behavior you describe most
      often occurs (assuming no defect) when the laptop is either on
      surface that does not let the heat dissipate, or when the fans
      are blocked.

      If nothing else helps, look at the Apple PowerBooks and iBooks.
      They are the quietest laptops I have ever (not) heard.

      Best,

      Damon

      --

      Damon Allen Davison
      davison@...

      "A UNIX life is hard."
    • Dave Kristol
      Message 2 of 14 , May 5, 2003
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Damon Davison
        <davison@u...> wrote:
        > Under Linux, you can control the fans with several tools: gkrellm
        > uses i8kfan to control the fans according to temperature
        > thresholds you choose. The kind of behavior you describe most
        > often occurs (assuming no defect) when the laptop is either on
        > surface that does not let the heat dissipate, or when the fans
        > are blocked.

        Interesting. Which version of gkrellm? I've got 1.2.13, but I don't
        see a display for fans. If it's not built in, could you describe what
        you did to enable fan control in gkrellm?

        Thanks
        Dave Kristol
      • zecoj
        Message 3 of 14 , May 5, 2003
          it's a plugin, using i8kfan utility. I've never tried 1.x but I'm
          using version 2 and it's working fine

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"
          <dmk-yahoo@k...> wrote:
          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Damon Davison
          > <davison@u...> wrote:
          > > Under Linux, you can control the fans with several tools: gkrellm
          > > uses i8kfan to control the fans according to temperature
          > > thresholds you choose. The kind of behavior you describe most
          > > often occurs (assuming no defect) when the laptop is either on
          > > surface that does not let the heat dissipate, or when the fans
          > > are blocked.
          >
          > Interesting. Which version of gkrellm? I've got 1.2.13, but I don't
          > see a display for fans. If it's not built in, could you describe what
          > you did to enable fan control in gkrellm?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Dave Kristol
        • darrenwhite_uk
          Message 4 of 14 , May 5, 2003
            Hello
            Thanks for the info.
            my laptop is a inspiron 8100, bios A08, Im running Red Hat 9
            I have tryed to install i8kutils using rpm. When I go to run it's sub
            programs I get the following errors

            [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8k <TAB>
            i8kbuttons i8kctl i8kfan i8kmon
            [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kbuttons
            unable to open i8k proc file: /proc/i8k[darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kctl
            can't open /proc/i8k: No such file or directory
            [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kfan
            can't open /proc/i8k: No such file or directory
            [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kmon
            /usr/bin/i8kmon: line 23: exec: tclsh: not found
            [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$

            So I don't know what went wrong with the install. Is this program
            avalable in sourse? rpm never seam to work well for me. It tell me
            that ependencies are missing when they are not or it puts this in
            stupid places.

            The other day I ramed scissors in the fans to shut them up while I
            finised reading somthing. when I palled the scissors out the fan went
            on and never stoped even though the air that was coming out the back
            was cool. I no stupid of me.

            Anyway how do I get this i8kutils thing working?
            Thanks for any help
            Darren
          • Norbert Preining
            Message 5 of 14 , May 5, 2003
              On Mon, 05 Mai 2003, darrenwhite_uk wrote:
              > [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8k <TAB>
              > i8kbuttons i8kctl i8kfan i8kmon
              > [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kbuttons
              > unable to open i8k proc file: /proc/i8k[darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kctl

              Do you have a kernel with i8k support running? The whole stuff only
              works with a kernel and a userland side. THe program you are starting is
              supposed to read information from the kernel driver...

              > [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kmon
              > /usr/bin/i8kmon: line 23: exec: tclsh: not found
              > that ependencies are missing when they are not or it puts this in

              What about thinking that the dependencies really ARE dependencies. You
              have to install tcl/tk (tclsh) for running i8kmon, but it is useless as
              long as there is no kernel running ...

              > Anyway how do I get this i8kutils thing working?

              I have it working, compile your own kernel, I don't know wether your
              linux distribution ships a kernel with i8k support.

              Best wishes

              Norbert

              Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at> Technische Universit├Ąt Wien
              SADBERGE (n.)
              A violent green shrub which is ground up, mixed with twigs and
              gelatine and served with clonmult (q.v.) and buldoo (q.v.) in a
              container referred to for no known reason as a 'relish tray'.
              --- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff
            • Dave Kristol
              Message 6 of 14 , May 5, 2003
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "zecoj" <zecoj@y...> wrote:
                > it's a plugin, using i8kfan utility. I've never tried 1.x but I'm
                > using version 2 and it's working fine

                Could you supply more detail for the clueless? I found i8krellm,
                which purports to be a plug-in for gkrellm, but I can't get it to
                build. It fails because I don't have gtk-config and imlib-config
                programs. What/where are they?

                Did you use i8krellm or some other plugin? If i8krellm, how did you
                get it to build?

                Thanks
                Dave Kristol
              • Dave Kristol
                Message 7 of 14 , May 5, 2003
                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "darrenwhite_uk"
                  <darrenwhite_uk@y...> wrote:
                  > Hello
                  > Thanks for the info.
                  > my laptop is a inspiron 8100, bios A08, Im running Red Hat 9
                  > I have tryed to install i8kutils using rpm. When I go to run it's sub
                  > programs I get the following errors
                  >
                  > [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8k <TAB>
                  > i8kbuttons i8kctl i8kfan i8kmon
                  > [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kbuttons
                  > unable to open i8k proc file: /proc/i8k[darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kctl
                  > can't open /proc/i8k: No such file or directory
                  > [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kfan
                  > can't open /proc/i8k: No such file or directory
                  > [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kmon
                  > /usr/bin/i8kmon: line 23: exec: tclsh: not found
                  > [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$
                  >
                  > So I don't know what went wrong with the install. Is this program
                  > avalable in sourse? rpm never seam to work well for me. It tell me
                  > that ependencies are missing when they are not or it puts this in
                  > stupid places.

                  Make sure the i8k kernel module is loaded. Try "lsmod | grep i8k".
                  If you get nothing but a prompt, try "insmod i8k", then try the above
                  again.

                  > The other day I ramed scissors in the fans to shut them up while I
                  > finised reading somthing. when I palled the scissors out the fan went
                  > on and never stoped even though the air that was coming out the back
                  > was cool. I no stupid of me.

                  It's probably unwise to jam the fans, lest you cook the processor.
                  The BIOS is known to have a bug such that it sometimes fails to read
                  the CPU temperature correctly. Try hitting Fn+z, which asks the BIOS
                  to reread the temperature. If the temperature is cool enough, the
                  BIOS will turn the fans off.

                  Dave Kristol
                • zecoj
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 5, 2003
                    Dave,
                    I'm quite sure that
                    gtk-config is in libgtk+*devel* package
                    imlib-config is in libimlib*-devel-* package
                    I'm running MDK9.1 and all of these packages are included in the CD's.

                    I've done that so long ago, and after finish building, I packed 'em up
                    for backup and they seem to do the job ;). I believe it asked for
                    some gtk development libs and imlib (image rendering library for X)

                    after finish building, load up i8k, get i8kutils from here:
                    http://people.debian.org/~dz/i8k/

                    Binh

                    --- fIn linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"
                    <dmk-yahoo@k...> wrote:
                    > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "zecoj" <zecoj@y...> wrote:
                    > > it's a plugin, using i8kfan utility. I've never tried 1.x but I'm
                    > > using version 2 and it's working fine
                    >
                    > Could you supply more detail for the clueless? I found i8krellm,
                    > which purports to be a plug-in for gkrellm, but I can't get it to
                    > build. It fails because I don't have gtk-config and imlib-config
                    > programs. What/where are they?
                    >
                    > Did you use i8krellm or some other plugin? If i8krellm, how did you
                    > get it to build?
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    > Dave Kristol
                  • Steve Harris
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 5, 2003
                      On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 08:02:25 -0000, zecoj wrote:
                      > after finish building, load up i8k, get i8kutils from here:
                      > http://people.debian.org/~dz/i8k/

                      It appears to be built into recent kernels allready.

                      - Steve
                    • Dave Kristol
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 5, 2003
                        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "zecoj" <zecoj@y...> wrote:
                        > Dave,
                        > I'm quite sure that
                        > gtk-config is in libgtk+*devel* package
                        > imlib-config is in libimlib*-devel-* package
                        > I'm running MDK9.1 and all of these packages are included in the CD's.
                        >
                        > I've done that so long ago, and after finish building, I packed 'em up
                        > for backup and they seem to do the job ;). I believe it asked for
                        > some gtk development libs and imlib (image rendering library for X)
                        >
                        > after finish building, load up i8k, get i8kutils from here:
                        > http://people.debian.org/~dz/i8k/

                        I feel like I'm descending into a rathole. I loaded gtk+-devel and
                        imlib-devel packages (and their dependencies) and find I need header,
                        gkrellm2/gkrellm.h. I find I (think I) can get that from the gkrellm
                        source RPM, but the i8krellm Makefile doesn't automatically pick it
                        up. (Heck, installing the source RPM merely drops the .tar.bz2 into
                        /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES.) Anyway, I think, with further effort I
                        could get the thing to build, but, gee, there must be an easier way!

                        What am I missing?

                        Dave Kristol
                      • Dave Kristol
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 8, 2003
                          <dmk-yahoo@k...> wrote:
                          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "zecoj" <zecoj@y...> wrote:
                          > > Dave,
                          > > I'm quite sure that
                          > > gtk-config is in libgtk+*devel* package
                          > > imlib-config is in libimlib*-devel-* package
                          > > I'm running MDK9.1 and all of these packages are included in the
                          CD's.

                          > > I've done that so long ago, and after finish building, I packed 'em up
                          > > for backup and they seem to do the job ;). I believe it asked for
                          > > some gtk development libs and imlib (image rendering library for X)
                          > >
                          > > after finish building, load up i8k, get i8kutils from here:
                          > > http://people.debian.org/~dz/i8k/
                          >
                          > I feel like I'm descending into a rathole. I loaded gtk+-devel and
                          > imlib-devel packages (and their dependencies) and find I need header,
                          > gkrellm2/gkrellm.h. I find I (think I) can get that from the gkrellm
                          > source RPM, but the i8krellm Makefile doesn't automatically pick it
                          > up. (Heck, installing the source RPM merely drops the .tar.bz2 into
                          > /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES.) Anyway, I think, with further effort I
                          > could get the thing to build, but, gee, there must be an easier way!

                          I successfully built (and am using) i8krellm on my I8200 with RH8.
                          The process was a bit of a nuisance, but it's not impossible. I've
                          written the whole thing up at
                          <http://kristol.org/david/dell-i8200/i8krellm.html>.

                          Dave Kristol