Re: My laptop's intrusive noisy fan

  • zecoj
    Message 1 of 14 , May 4, 2003
      are you running windoz or Linux? What is your model?
      for inspiron i8k's, there are utilities for both os.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "darrenwhite_uk"
      <darrenwhite_uk@y...> wrote:
      > Dose any one else get pissed off with their laptop's noisy fan. I
      > don't mind when it's on all the time or off all the time. It's when it
      > goes on for a second then off for 2 then on for 1 and so on and so on.
      > This seams to be worst when view web pages. It really distracts me.
      >
      > Is this the scenario with all laptop dell or non-dells. Do all laptops
      > have fans?
      >
      > Darren
      >
      > (sorry not Linux specific i know but it is a dell)
    • Peter Hayes
      Message 2 of 14 , May 4, 2003
        On Sunday 04 May 2003 18:24, darrenwhite_uk wrote:
        > Dose any one else get pissed off with their laptop's noisy fan. I
        > don't mind when it's on all the time or off all the time. It's when it
        > goes on for a second then off for 2 then on for 1 and so on and so on.
        > This seams to be worst when view web pages. It really distracts me.

        Your fan shouldn't be cycling on and off like that. It should come on for a
        few minutes, then go off for a similar time.

        I use Gkrellm to set the fan parameters, a hysterisis of 5 to 7 degrees should
        be ok.

        Peter
      • Damon Davison
        Message 3 of 14 , May 4, 2003
          Under Linux, you can control the fans with several tools: gkrellm
          uses i8kfan to control the fans according to temperature
          thresholds you choose. The kind of behavior you describe most
          often occurs (assuming no defect) when the laptop is either on
          surface that does not let the heat dissipate, or when the fans
          are blocked.

          If nothing else helps, look at the Apple PowerBooks and iBooks.
          They are the quietest laptops I have ever (not) heard.

          Best,

          Damon

          --

          Damon Allen Davison
          davison@...

          "A UNIX life is hard."
        • Dave Kristol
          Message 4 of 14 , May 5, 2003
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Damon Davison
            <davison@u...> wrote:
            > Under Linux, you can control the fans with several tools: gkrellm
            > uses i8kfan to control the fans according to temperature
            > thresholds you choose. The kind of behavior you describe most
            > often occurs (assuming no defect) when the laptop is either on
            > surface that does not let the heat dissipate, or when the fans
            > are blocked.

            Interesting. Which version of gkrellm? I've got 1.2.13, but I don't
            see a display for fans. If it's not built in, could you describe what
            you did to enable fan control in gkrellm?

            Thanks
            Dave Kristol
          • zecoj
            Message 5 of 14 , May 5, 2003
              it's a plugin, using i8kfan utility. I've never tried 1.x but I'm
              using version 2 and it's working fine

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"
              <dmk-yahoo@k...> wrote:
              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Damon Davison
              > <davison@u...> wrote:
              > > Under Linux, you can control the fans with several tools: gkrellm
              > > uses i8kfan to control the fans according to temperature
              > > thresholds you choose. The kind of behavior you describe most
              > > often occurs (assuming no defect) when the laptop is either on
              > > surface that does not let the heat dissipate, or when the fans
              > > are blocked.
              >
              > Interesting. Which version of gkrellm? I've got 1.2.13, but I don't
              > see a display for fans. If it's not built in, could you describe what
              > you did to enable fan control in gkrellm?
              >
              > Thanks
              > Dave Kristol
            • darrenwhite_uk
              Message 6 of 14 , May 5, 2003
                Hello
                Thanks for the info.
                my laptop is a inspiron 8100, bios A08, Im running Red Hat 9
                I have tryed to install i8kutils using rpm. When I go to run it's sub
                programs I get the following errors

                [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8k <TAB>
                i8kbuttons i8kctl i8kfan i8kmon
                [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kbuttons
                unable to open i8k proc file: /proc/i8k[darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kctl
                can't open /proc/i8k: No such file or directory
                [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kfan
                can't open /proc/i8k: No such file or directory
                [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kmon
                /usr/bin/i8kmon: line 23: exec: tclsh: not found
                [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$

                So I don't know what went wrong with the install. Is this program
                avalable in sourse? rpm never seam to work well for me. It tell me
                that ependencies are missing when they are not or it puts this in
                stupid places.

                The other day I ramed scissors in the fans to shut them up while I
                finised reading somthing. when I palled the scissors out the fan went
                on and never stoped even though the air that was coming out the back
                was cool. I no stupid of me.

                Anyway how do I get this i8kutils thing working?
                Thanks for any help
                Darren
              • Norbert Preining
                Message 7 of 14 , May 5, 2003
                  On Mon, 05 Mai 2003, darrenwhite_uk wrote:
                  > [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8k <TAB>
                  > i8kbuttons i8kctl i8kfan i8kmon
                  > [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kbuttons
                  > unable to open i8k proc file: /proc/i8k[darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kctl

                  Do you have a kernel with i8k support running? The whole stuff only
                  works with a kernel and a userland side. THe program you are starting is
                  supposed to read information from the kernel driver...

                  > [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kmon
                  > /usr/bin/i8kmon: line 23: exec: tclsh: not found
                  > that ependencies are missing when they are not or it puts this in

                  What about thinking that the dependencies really ARE dependencies. You
                  have to install tcl/tk (tclsh) for running i8kmon, but it is useless as
                  long as there is no kernel running ...

                  > Anyway how do I get this i8kutils thing working?

                  I have it working, compile your own kernel, I don't know wether your
                  linux distribution ships a kernel with i8k support.

                  Best wishes

                  Norbert

                  Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at> Technische Universit├Ąt Wien
                  SADBERGE (n.)
                  A violent green shrub which is ground up, mixed with twigs and
                  gelatine and served with clonmult (q.v.) and buldoo (q.v.) in a
                  container referred to for no known reason as a 'relish tray'.
                  --- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff
                • Dave Kristol
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 5, 2003
                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "zecoj" <zecoj@y...> wrote:
                    > it's a plugin, using i8kfan utility. I've never tried 1.x but I'm
                    > using version 2 and it's working fine

                    Could you supply more detail for the clueless? I found i8krellm,
                    which purports to be a plug-in for gkrellm, but I can't get it to
                    build. It fails because I don't have gtk-config and imlib-config
                    programs. What/where are they?

                    Did you use i8krellm or some other plugin? If i8krellm, how did you
                    get it to build?

                    Thanks
                    Dave Kristol
                  • Dave Kristol
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 5, 2003
                      <darrenwhite_uk@y...> wrote:
                      > Hello
                      > Thanks for the info.
                      > my laptop is a inspiron 8100, bios A08, Im running Red Hat 9
                      > I have tryed to install i8kutils using rpm. When I go to run it's sub
                      > programs I get the following errors
                      >
                      > [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8k <TAB>
                      > i8kbuttons i8kctl i8kfan i8kmon
                      > [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kbuttons
                      > unable to open i8k proc file: /proc/i8k[darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kctl
                      > can't open /proc/i8k: No such file or directory
                      > [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kfan
                      > can't open /proc/i8k: No such file or directory
                      > [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$ i8kmon
                      > /usr/bin/i8kmon: line 23: exec: tclsh: not found
                      > [darren@dhcppc1 darren]$
                      >
                      > So I don't know what went wrong with the install. Is this program
                      > avalable in sourse? rpm never seam to work well for me. It tell me
                      > that ependencies are missing when they are not or it puts this in
                      > stupid places.

                      Make sure the i8k kernel module is loaded. Try "lsmod | grep i8k".
                      If you get nothing but a prompt, try "insmod i8k", then try the above
                      again.

                      > The other day I ramed scissors in the fans to shut them up while I
                      > finised reading somthing. when I palled the scissors out the fan went
                      > on and never stoped even though the air that was coming out the back
                      > was cool. I no stupid of me.

                      It's probably unwise to jam the fans, lest you cook the processor.
                      The BIOS is known to have a bug such that it sometimes fails to read
                      the CPU temperature correctly. Try hitting Fn+z, which asks the BIOS
                      to reread the temperature. If the temperature is cool enough, the
                      BIOS will turn the fans off.

                      Dave Kristol
                    • zecoj
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 5, 2003
                        Dave,
                        I'm quite sure that
                        gtk-config is in libgtk+*devel* package
                        imlib-config is in libimlib*-devel-* package
                        I'm running MDK9.1 and all of these packages are included in the CD's.

                        I've done that so long ago, and after finish building, I packed 'em up
                        for backup and they seem to do the job ;). I believe it asked for
                        some gtk development libs and imlib (image rendering library for X)

                        after finish building, load up i8k, get i8kutils from here:
                        http://people.debian.org/~dz/i8k/

                        Binh

                        --- fIn linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"
                        <dmk-yahoo@k...> wrote:
                        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "zecoj" <zecoj@y...> wrote:
                        > > it's a plugin, using i8kfan utility. I've never tried 1.x but I'm
                        > > using version 2 and it's working fine
                        >
                        > Could you supply more detail for the clueless? I found i8krellm,
                        > which purports to be a plug-in for gkrellm, but I can't get it to
                        > build. It fails because I don't have gtk-config and imlib-config
                        > programs. What/where are they?
                        >
                        > Did you use i8krellm or some other plugin? If i8krellm, how did you
                        > get it to build?
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        > Dave Kristol
                      • Steve Harris
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 5, 2003
                          On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 08:02:25 -0000, zecoj wrote:
                          > after finish building, load up i8k, get i8kutils from here:
                          > http://people.debian.org/~dz/i8k/

                          It appears to be built into recent kernels allready.

                          - Steve
                        • Dave Kristol
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 5, 2003
                            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "zecoj" <zecoj@y...> wrote:
                            > Dave,
                            > I'm quite sure that
                            > gtk-config is in libgtk+*devel* package
                            > imlib-config is in libimlib*-devel-* package
                            > I'm running MDK9.1 and all of these packages are included in the CD's.
                            >
                            > I've done that so long ago, and after finish building, I packed 'em up
                            > for backup and they seem to do the job ;). I believe it asked for
                            > some gtk development libs and imlib (image rendering library for X)
                            >
                            > after finish building, load up i8k, get i8kutils from here:
                            > http://people.debian.org/~dz/i8k/

                            I feel like I'm descending into a rathole. I loaded gtk+-devel and
                            imlib-devel packages (and their dependencies) and find I need header,
                            gkrellm2/gkrellm.h. I find I (think I) can get that from the gkrellm
                            source RPM, but the i8krellm Makefile doesn't automatically pick it
                            up. (Heck, installing the source RPM merely drops the .tar.bz2 into
                            /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES.) Anyway, I think, with further effort I
                            could get the thing to build, but, gee, there must be an easier way!

                            What am I missing?

                            Dave Kristol
                          • Dave Kristol
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 8, 2003
                              <dmk-yahoo@k...> wrote:
                              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "zecoj" <zecoj@y...> wrote:
                              > > Dave,
                              > > I'm quite sure that
                              > > gtk-config is in libgtk+*devel* package
                              > > imlib-config is in libimlib*-devel-* package
                              > > I'm running MDK9.1 and all of these packages are included in the
                              CD's.

                              > > I've done that so long ago, and after finish building, I packed 'em up
                              > > for backup and they seem to do the job ;). I believe it asked for
                              > > some gtk development libs and imlib (image rendering library for X)
                              > >
                              > > after finish building, load up i8k, get i8kutils from here:
                              > > http://people.debian.org/~dz/i8k/
                              >
                              > I feel like I'm descending into a rathole. I loaded gtk+-devel and
                              > imlib-devel packages (and their dependencies) and find I need header,
                              > gkrellm2/gkrellm.h. I find I (think I) can get that from the gkrellm
                              > source RPM, but the i8krellm Makefile doesn't automatically pick it
                              > up. (Heck, installing the source RPM merely drops the .tar.bz2 into
                              > /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES.) Anyway, I think, with further effort I
                              > could get the thing to build, but, gee, there must be an easier way!

                              I successfully built (and am using) i8krellm on my I8200 with RH8.
                              The process was a bit of a nuisance, but it's not impossible. I've
                              written the whole thing up at
                              <http://kristol.org/david/dell-i8200/i8krellm.html>.

                              Dave Kristol