Re: Inspiron 5100

  • Bob Vincent
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2003
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Juan Ignacio Martinez
      Carrion" <webmaster@n...> wrote:
      > Hi, does anybody know about problems installing Linux Red-Hat on a
      > Dell Inspiron 5100.
      >
      > Thanks.

      I installed Redhat8 on my Inspiron5100 - actually I'm dual booting
      w/ XP Pro. The linux environment works great except for my wireless
      card. I got so excited about 802.11g that I just assumed there
      would be a linux driver and didn't check first. Anyone want to buy
      a Linksys WPC54g???

      I didn't have to tweak anything to get the redhat install to work -
      everything worked straight from the iso install. I was pleasantly
      surprised.

      A nice bonus: Synaptics offers linux drivers for their pointing
      device software. The touchpad does work from the redhat install but
      you need to the Synaptics drivers to get the cool gestures/touchpad
      features. Very cool.