redhat 8.0 hangs at IDE initialization

  • tcart128
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2003
      I just installed RH 8.0 on a Dell D600. The system hangs during boot.

      Here are the last few lines during the boot sequence:

      Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
      ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
      idebus=xx
      PCI_IDE: unknown IDE controller on PCI bus 00 device f9, VID=8086,
      DID=24ca
      PCI: Enabling device 00:1f.1 (0005 -> 0007)
      PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:1f.1
      PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:1d.2
      PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 02:00.0
      PCI_IDE: chipset revision 1
      PCI_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
      ide0: BM-DMA at 0xbfa0-0xbfa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
      ide1: BM-DMA at 0xbfa8-0xbfaf, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio

      It hangs at this point. My first attempt at this installation was
      with a dual boot system. My latest attempt is a single boot system
      with only RH 8.0 installed. The kernel with this installation is
      2.4.18-14. Any help will be appreciated.
    • Christian Soeller
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2003
        tcart128 wrote:
        > I just installed RH 8.0 on a Dell D600. The system hangs during boot.

        Others have reported success with RH 9 on D600 and 600m (see list
        archives). Maybe you should give that a try.

        Christian
      • tcart128
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2003
          RH 9.0 installed and booted OK

          RH 9.0 (which worked) came with 2.4.20-8 and the RH 8.0 distribution
          came with kernel 2.4.18-14 (and would not boot). Maybe 2.4.18-14
          does not support the IDE controller in the D600.

          Thanks for the suggestion.

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Christian Soeller
          <c.soeller@a...> wrote:
          > tcart128 wrote:
          > > I just installed RH 8.0 on a Dell D600. The system hangs during
          boot.

          > Others have reported success with RH 9 on D600 and 600m (see list
          > archives). Maybe you should give that a try.
          >
          > Christian
        • Michael Kornby
          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2003
            No help from me, I am afraid. But FWIW, I have the same problem with a
            Latitude LS and RH 8.0. Hangs at the same point. Boots fine with the
            boot floppy. I am stuck too. Is there any chance that RH 9.0 would
            work better?

            Newbie Michael

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "tcart128" <mass170@n...>