Re: Dell I-2650 Dual Boot (RH Linux and XP)

  • Eswar Prakash
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2003
      Randy,

      Yes you are right, everything is fine right now. I am able to work
      fine with both systems, and I have even mounted my WinXP disk in
      LINUX. I am getting somewhere :) still lots to learn eh? Coming from a
      pure M$ background, I should say I am overwhelmed by all the stuff
      that Linux provides. Yet it is a thrill ride for me.

      One more question. I am sure you have an Ethernet card and USB ports
      in your system. OK, here is the situation. I am using a USB based
      cable modem. When I restart after plugging in the USB modem, I get the
      modem mapped to "eth0" and my loopback "localhost" seems to have
      "disappeared". After starting httpd (Apache Webserver) I am not able
      to connect "localhost" through my web browser. I know that I can
      configure my cable modem to use eth1 and let eth0 alone.

      Anyone knowledged in this respect?

      Thanks,
      Eswar

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Perkins"
      <randyperkins@r...> wrote:

      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > >    Anyone did this combination of Linux install before? RH
      > > install warned me that "Boot configuration may not suite your
      > > system, boot disk recommended" I panicked and DIDN'T make a
      /boot
      > > partition. I know that I have done something stupid there. I am
      new to
      > > Linux
      > > world. So, what do you recommend as a solution, also what is that
      > > warning all about?
      > >
      > >    I would also like to know, if my Old data will get
      > > corrupted/destroyed on a failed Linux installation, like will I be
      able
      > > to boot into WinXP until I solve this problem?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Eswar
      > >

      > hello
      >
      > i have a dual boot rh9 and winxp
      >
      > i never make a boot partition
      > i usually see a message similar to what you mention when
      > my / partition is not in the first 1024 cylinders.
      > i have never had a problem.
      > if i was a betting man, and i am, i would say you should be ok.
      >
      > now there is a difference between a /boot partition,
      > and a boot disk. a boot disk is always helpfull.
      >

      > Since i have no idea how you installed linux, i cant comment
      > on your winxp situation. i imagine you have rebooted by now
      > and know where you are at. write back if you have more details
      > of your situation.
      >
      > see ya
      >
      > randy
    • Randy Perkins
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2003
        >   One more question. I am sure you have an Ethernet card and USB
        > ports in your system. OK, here is the situation. I am using a USB based
        > cable modem. When I restart after plugging in the USB modem, I get the
        > modem mapped to "eth0" and my loopback "localhost"
        > seems to have

        glad you are working
        sorry i cant help you with usb modem,
        as i dont have one,
        and have never used usb network device in linux

        i used to have a dsl modem that could be ethernet/usb.
        i always used ethernet.

        this was a couple years ago and usb network products
        werent very stable, but this was in windows.

        if no one can get you going with usb modem,
        maybe your modem also has ethernet ?,
        or your ISP can provide you with a modem that supports ethernet.

        have fun
        randy