Re: Inspiron 5100

  • hfelton11
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2003
      howdee,

      :::no easy/short answer, cuz i dont know:::

      this looks like a new laptop from dell. if you check
      the linux-on-laptops.com/dell series, you see it hasnt
      even gotten a mention yet. this means you might be
      blazing new trails... the usual problem is the x-driver
      and so you should look up your ati-mobility-radeon-7500
      to see if it is supported in the drivers for the rh
      that you plan to install.

      start with a new distribution, work a piece-at-a-time,
      and ask for help as you go and everything should be ok.

      if you are expecting to be able to just convert your
      brand-new-laptop to linux without a little bit of work,
      then you might be disappointed. it usually takes a bit
      for folks to update drivers for new hardware. as i
      mentioned, x-windows is a typical stumbling-block.

      i wish you luck - when i bought my new laptop awhile
      ago - it took quite a bit of work to make it usable,
      but it generated a lot of satisfaction for the effort.
      now, of course, any recent distribution works on it...

      have fun, h.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Juan Ignacio Martinez
      Carrion" <webmaster@n...> wrote:
      > Hi, does anybody know about problems installing Linux Red-Hat on a
      > Dell Inspiron 5100.
      >
      > Thanks.
    • Bob Vincent
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2003
        Carrion" <webmaster@n...> wrote:
        > Hi, does anybody know about problems installing Linux Red-Hat on a
        > Dell Inspiron 5100.
        >
        > Thanks.

        I installed Redhat8 on my Inspiron5100 - actually I'm dual booting
        w/ XP Pro. The linux environment works great except for my wireless
        card. I got so excited about 802.11g that I just assumed there
        would be a linux driver and didn't check first. Anyone want to buy
        a Linksys WPC54g???

        I didn't have to tweak anything to get the redhat install to work -
        everything worked straight from the iso install. I was pleasantly
        surprised.

        A nice bonus: Synaptics offers linux drivers for their pointing
        device software. The touchpad does work from the redhat install but
        you need to the Synaptics drivers to get the cool gestures/touchpad
        features. Very cool.