Pentium M centrino kernel optimization?

  • linuxdell600m
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2003

      when rebuilding a kernel, what processor should I check off for a
      1.3Ghz Pentium M (centrino). Currently I've build the
      Pentium/Pentium Pro, but there is both a Pentium III and Pentium IV
      options.

      Would I notice any difference? I'm also thinking of recompiling
      XFree86 since I'm already running a non standard release that I had
      to compile.

      Thanks,

      -Eric
    • Christian Soeller
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2003
        linuxdell600m wrote:

        > when rebuilding a kernel, what processor should I check off for a
        > 1.3Ghz Pentium M (centrino). Currently I've build the
        > Pentium/Pentium Pro, but there is both a Pentium III and Pentium IV
        > options.

        I'd say pentium IV (based on the docs for the intel compiler icc 7.1
        which recommend '-march=pentium4' for Pentium 4, Xeon and Pentium M).

        > Would I notice any difference? I'm also thinking of recompiling
        > XFree86 since I'm already running a non standard release that I had
        > to compile.

        Don't know.

        Christian
      • Brian Dwornick
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2003
          I would recommend using:

          '-march=pentium3 -mcpu=pentium4'

          when compiling all packages.
          > when rebuilding a kernel, what processor should I check off for a
          > 1.3Ghz Pentium M (centrino). Currently I've build the
          > Pentium/Pentium Pro, but there is both a Pentium III and Pentium IV
          > options.

          I'd say pentium IV (based on the docs for the intel compiler icc 7.1
          which recommend '-march=pentium4' for Pentium 4, Xeon and Pentium M).

          > Would I notice any difference? I'm also thinking of recompiling
          > XFree86 since I'm already running a non standard release that I had
          > to compile.

          Don't know.

             Christian