audio recording on inspiron 2650/suse 8.2

  • ccapocasa
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 29, 2003
      i'm running a dual boot win2k/suse 8.2 system.

      i can get suse to play back sound, but not to record.

      any suggestions?

      thanks, carlo
    • Randy Perkins
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 29, 2003

        > i'm running a dual boot win2k/suse 8.2 system.
        >
        > i can get suse to play back sound, but not to record.
        >
        > any suggestions?
        >
        > thanks, carlo

        i have 2650
        never tried to record sound

        my old toshiba laptop had a built in mic,,
        and i recorded audio thru it with linux

        i dont think my dell i2650 comes with an built in mic,
        did you hook a mic up to it ?

        see ya
        randy
      • ccapocasa
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 30, 2003
          randy,

          thanks for your fast reply. you're right, inspiron has no built-in mic. i use a headset
          and recording's no sweat on win2k.

          which means the error is probably somewhere in the linux driver jungle i'm a bit
          hesitant to plunge into... i'm a newbie to linux but i've seen with a friend what
          happens when you try to fool with linux drivers (i think last time substituted coffee
          for sleep for three days or four).

          carlo

          > i have 2650
          > never tried to record sound
          >
          > my old toshiba laptop had a built in mic,,
          > and i recorded audio thru it with linux
          >
          > i dont think my dell i2650 comes with an built in mic,
          > did you hook a mic up to it ?
          >
          > see ya
          > randy
        • Randy Perkins
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 30, 2003
            > i use a headset and recording's no sweat on win2k.

            hello again

            when i get home this evening
            i will see if i can dig up a mic
            and an adapter, and see what kind of results
            i get.

            one thing i can think of
            the input levels could be turned way down, or off.

            have you looked at the mixer applett with whichever
            desktop you use (gnome or kde) ??

            also,
            there is the command line tool 'aumix'
            which will show you the levels for various
            audio inputs/outputs

            see ya
            randy
          • Steve Harris
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 30, 2003
              On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 04:24:07 -0500, Randy Perkins wrote:
              > also,
              > there is the command line tool 'aumix'
              > which will show you the levels for various
              > audio inputs/outputs

              You also have to make sure that the mic input is selected for recording.

              - Steve
            • Randy Perkins
              Message 6 of 7 , May 1 12:28 AM
                On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 16:05, ccapocasa wrote:
                > randy,
                >
                > thanks for your fast reply. you're right, inspiron has no built-in
                > mic. i use a headset
                > and recording's no sweat on win2k.

                hello,

                i was able to record sound with my i2650
                i had only luck from the command line,
                i use rh9/kde and artsd when in GUI,
                and it didnt work right off the bat,
                so i went to the command line.

                hit <cntrl><alt><F1> or otherwise get to command prompt
                login if necessary

                first run 'aumix' and down arrow to Mic.
                then right arrow to bring the mic volume up.

                there should be a red "R" on the left side to
                show that the mic channel is in record mode.
                if it isnt, hit the space bar while the mic
                channel is highlighted

                i used the 'sox' program to record sounds
                see if you have it installed
                'rpm -q sox'
                it should spit back a version if it is installed.

                then to record sound
                'rec this_is_me_onmy_mic.wav'

                i get a couple warnings about channels and speed,
                but it records ok
                <cntrl>-C to exit

                to play back what you have recorded
                'play this_is_me_onmy_mic.wav'

                i also stumbled on another command line tool
                it requires the xawtv package
                check and see if you have it
                'rpm -q xawtv'
                i had it so it must get installed by default ??

                it provides a level meter so you can see your mic input
                run it like this
                'record -r 48000'
                a level meter will come up
                and hit the space bar to start recording
                the file will be automatically named record00x.wav
                note i had to set the -r option for the sample rate of the soundcard
                before it would work

                well thats it for me
                i didnt trouble shoot it in KDE
                but i know my hardware will record

                lets see if you get this far before we proceed

                see ya
                randy
              • ccapocasa
                Message 7 of 7 , May 1 2:08 PM
                  heya randy

                  thanks man, that's real nice of you.

                  i used kmix to check if all the volumes are up and they are, and the mic is
                  selected recording source (that's what the little red button is, isn't it steve?)

                  carlo