PCMCIA/Wireless Issues

  • William R. Gaines
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2003
      I hate writing this kind of stuff because I know that I could eventually
      figure it out, but I am having problems with my wireless card. I would
      like to use the orinoco_cs driver. I am _very_ new at Linux, so I am
      sure that this is causing most of my problems. I have read through
      several howtos as well as many sites addressing wireless issues. It
      seems that whenever I try one thing, either nothing happens or it gets
      worse. For example, I installed Vector Linux SOHO 3.2. I then tried to
      install pcmcia-cs-3.2, and upon configuring it, it said that the kernel
      already had support for pcmcia, so it would just install the tools. I
      know at least one time when I did this, however, stuff stopped working
      even further - right now I have it where when I insert the card, I get
      two high beeps and the power light comes on (this stopped when I
      installed the pcmcia stuff one time, however). There are tons of things
      I've tried, but I'm sure they all overlap too much to sort out what
      caused what. Right now, if I type "cardmgr", I get something like this:

      cardmgr[458]: open_sock(socket 0) failed: Device or
      resource busy
      cardmgr[458]: another cardmgr is already running?

      I'm basically wanting to start from scratch, but I was wondering if
      anybody can give me fairly specific instructions. I was thinking I
      would reinstall Vector Linux, and then pick up on the directions from
      there. This way, we should all be on the same track if more problems
      arise. Any other ideas? I'm not real familiar with any of the
      diagnostic tools either, so if you would like me to try something with
      them, please be fairly specific as to what I need to do.

      Dell Inspiron 4150
      Vector Linux SOHO v3.2
      PCMCIA Orinoco Silver card

      Thanks for any help,
      Billy
    • Dave Kristol
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 29, 2003
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "William R. Gaines"
        <wrg@a...> wrote:
        > [...]
        > I'm basically wanting to start from scratch, but I was wondering if
        > anybody can give me fairly specific instructions. I was thinking I
        > would reinstall Vector Linux, and then pick up on the directions from
        > there. This way, we should all be on the same track if more problems
        > arise. Any other ideas? I'm not real familiar with any of the
        > diagnostic tools either, so if you would like me to try something with
        > them, please be fairly specific as to what I need to do.
        >
        > Dell Inspiron 4150
        > Vector Linux SOHO v3.2
        > PCMCIA Orinoco Silver card

        It sounds as though you're probably closer to getting it working than
        you realize. It's probably simpler to takes this a step at a time.

        When you insert your Orinoco card, what appears in the system log?
        (On Red Hat it's /var/log/messages. Not sure for Vector Linux.)

        If the system reports that it recognizes the card, then probably
        what's missing is for you to configure your card for use with your
        wireless network. That will be the next step....

        Dave Kristol
      • William R. Gaines
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 29, 2003
          First question: how can I bring a copy of the log over to Win XP? Any
          easy way or not?

          For the time being, this is copied by hand. I think it's right, but if
          not it should be close enough for you to help me figure out what's going
          on. Again, I'm trying to get my Orinoco Silver PCMCIA card to work on
          Vector Linux. When card is inserted, this appears in /var/log/messages:

          ---
          cardmgr[64]: socket1: Intersil PRISM2 Reference Design 11Mb/s WLAN Card
          kernel: cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffff: clean.
          cardmgr[64]: executing: 'modprobe prism2_cs'
          kernel: init_module: prism2_cs.o: 0.1.16-pre9 Loaded
          kernel: init_module: dev_info is: prism2_cs
          kernel: prism2_cs: index 0x01: Vcc 5.0, irq 3, io 0x0100-0x013f
          /etc/hotplug/net.agent: how do I bring interfaces up on this distro?
          /etc/hotplug/net.agent: register event not handled
          cardmgr[64]: executing: './wlan-ng start wlan0'
          kernel: ident: nic h/w: id=0x01 4.0.1
          kernel: ident: pri f/w: id=0x15 4.0.1
          kernel: ident: sta f/w: id=0x0f 8.10.1
          kernel: MFI:SUP:role=0x00:id=0x01:var=0x01:b/t=3/3
          kernel: CFI:SUP:role=0x00:id=0x02:var=0x01:b/t=5/5
          kernel: PRI:SUP:role=0x00:id=0x03:var=0x02:b/t=1/1
          kernel: STA:SUP:role=0x00:id=0x04:var=0x01:b/t=6/12
          kernel: PRI-CFI:ACT:role=0x01:id=0x02:var=0x01:b/t=1/5
          kernel: STA-CFI:ACT:role=0x01:id=0x02:var=0x01:b/t=1/6
          cardmgr[64]: + Failed to enable the device,
          resultcode=implementation_failure
          cardmgr[64]: + wlanctl-ng : No such device
          cardmgr[64]: + scan failed (implementation_failure)
          cardmgr[64]: + network not found. maybe start IBSS?
          ---

          BTW, I reinstalled Vector Linux and did nothing since then but enable
          PCMCIA support. Therefore, everything should be set as default. I have
          not re-installed pcmcia-cs-3.2.4 for orinoco_cs or anything yet. Where
          should I go from here?

          Thanks,
          Billy

          > I'm basically wanting to start from scratch, but I was wondering if
          > anybody can give me fairly specific instructions. I was thinking I
          > would reinstall Vector Linux, and then pick up on the directions from
          > there. This way, we should all be on the same track if more problems
          > arise. Any other ideas? I'm not real familiar with any of the
          > diagnostic tools either, so if you would like me to try something with
          > them, please be fairly specific as to what I need to do.
          >
          > Dell Inspiron 4150
          > Vector Linux SOHO v3.2
          > PCMCIA Orinoco Silver card

          It sounds as though you're probably closer to getting it working than
          you realize. It's probably simpler to takes this a step at a time.

          When you insert your Orinoco card, what appears in the system log?
          (On Red Hat it's /var/log/messages. Not sure for Vector Linux.)

          If the system reports that it recognizes the card, then probably
          what's missing is for you to configure your card for use with your
          wireless network. That will be the next step....

          Dave Kristol

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Ian Bell
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 29, 2003
            On Tuesday 29 Apr 2003 9:16 pm, William R. Gaines wrote:
            > First question: how can I bring a copy of the log over to Win XP? Any
            > easy way or not?

            When you power up, the PCMCIA program beeps the PC speaker. If you get two
            high beeps all is OK. If you get one hi and one low it has failed. Do this
            with the card already inserted.

            I have found on several laptops that the file /etc/pcmcia/config.opts needs to
            be modified to make pcmcia work. Look for a message like:

            Config error ./config.opts line 8

            This will point you to the offending lin. I have found that just commenting
            it out usually works.

            Ian
          • Dave Kristol
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 29, 2003
              <wrg@a...> wrote:
              > First question: how can I bring a copy of the log over to Win XP? Any
              > easy way or not?
              >
              > For the time being, this is copied by hand. I think it's right, but if
              > not it should be close enough for you to help me figure out what's going
              > on. Again, I'm trying to get my Orinoco Silver PCMCIA card to work on
              > Vector Linux. When card is inserted, this appears in /var/log/messages:

              > ---
              > cardmgr[64]: socket1: Intersil PRISM2 Reference Design 11Mb/s WLAN Card
              > kernel: cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffff: clean.
              > cardmgr[64]: executing: 'modprobe prism2_cs'
              > kernel: init_module: prism2_cs.o: 0.1.16-pre9 Loaded
              > kernel: init_module: dev_info is: prism2_cs
              > kernel: prism2_cs: index 0x01: Vcc 5.0, irq 3, io 0x0100-0x013f
              > /etc/hotplug/net.agent: how do I bring interfaces up on this distro?
              > /etc/hotplug/net.agent: register event not handled
              > cardmgr[64]: executing: './wlan-ng start wlan0'
              > kernel: ident: nic h/w: id=0x01 4.0.1
              > kernel: ident: pri f/w: id=0x15 4.0.1
              > kernel: ident: sta f/w: id=0x0f 8.10.1
              > kernel: MFI:SUP:role=0x00:id=0x01:var=0x01:b/t=3/3
              > kernel: CFI:SUP:role=0x00:id=0x02:var=0x01:b/t=5/5
              > kernel: PRI:SUP:role=0x00:id=0x03:var=0x02:b/t=1/1
              > kernel: STA:SUP:role=0x00:id=0x04:var=0x01:b/t=6/12
              > kernel: PRI-CFI:ACT:role=0x01:id=0x02:var=0x01:b/t=1/5
              > kernel: STA-CFI:ACT:role=0x01:id=0x02:var=0x01:b/t=1/6
              > cardmgr[64]: + Failed to enable the device,
              > resultcode=implementation_failure
              > cardmgr[64]: + wlanctl-ng : No such device
              > cardmgr[64]: + scan failed (implementation_failure)
              > cardmgr[64]: + network not found. maybe start IBSS?
              > ---
              >
              > BTW, I reinstalled Vector Linux and did nothing since then but enable
              > PCMCIA support. Therefore, everything should be set as default. I have
              > not re-installed pcmcia-cs-3.2.4 for orinoco_cs or anything yet. Where
              > should I go from here?

              The good news is, it looks like your distro recognizes the card. (It
              appears to be using the prism2_cs driver, instead of orinoco_cs.) The
              bad news is, I don't know Vector Linux or wlan-ng, so I'm not sure
              what to do next. Evidently Vector Linux doesn't know how to use the
              hotplug agent.

              Sorry, I'm at the end of my expertise on this, but I'm sure someone
              else can hop in with more help.

              Dave Kristol
            • Sjoerd Mullender
              Message 6 of 6 , May 1, 2003
                On Tue, Apr 29 2003 "William R. Gaines" wrote:

                > First question: how can I bring a copy of the log over to Win XP? Any
                > easy way or not?

                To copy files from a Linux EXT2 (or EXT3) partition to Windows (while
                running Windows) you can use the program explore2fs
                (http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm).

                -- Sjoerd Mullender <sjoerd@...>