Re: Dell I-2650 Dual Boot (RH Linux and XP)

  • perrymans
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29 7:21 AM
      Google search will give you more than enough info.

      While in RH, run /sbin/grub-install /dev/hda

      This will write GRUB to your MBR if not there already. Then go
      to /etc/grub.conf and edit it for windows. Use this as a reference:
      http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub.conf.txt

      It won't mess with you Windows drive unless you tell it to, such as
      writing over hda1 (if Windows was there first). in DOS, fdisk /mbr
      will reformat the MBR for Windows again, if all else fails.

      I currently use GRUB for Win98 and RH7.2 on one machine, and for RH9,
      Slackware 9, Debian Woody, Lycoris, and Solaris on another. GRUB is
      easy and works great.

      Sean.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Eswar Prakash"
      <eswar_prakash@y...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > Anyone did this combination of Linux install before? RH install
      > warned me that "Boot configuration may not suite your system, boot
      > disk recommended" I panicked and DIDN'T make a /boot partition. I
      > know that I have done something stupid there. I am new to Linux
      > world. So, what do you recommend as a solution, also what is that
      > warning all about?
      >
      > I would also like to know, if my Old data will get
      > corrupted/destroyed on a failed Linux installation, like will I be
      > able to boot into WinXP until I solve this problem?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Eswar
    • Eswar Prakash
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2003
        Randy,

        Yes you are right, everything is fine right now. I am able to work
        fine with both systems, and I have even mounted my WinXP disk in
        LINUX. I am getting somewhere :) still lots to learn eh? Coming from a
        pure M$ background, I should say I am overwhelmed by all the stuff
        that Linux provides. Yet it is a thrill ride for me.

        One more question. I am sure you have an Ethernet card and USB ports
        in your system. OK, here is the situation. I am using a USB based
        cable modem. When I restart after plugging in the USB modem, I get the
        modem mapped to "eth0" and my loopback "localhost" seems to have
        "disappeared". After starting httpd (Apache Webserver) I am not able
        to connect "localhost" through my web browser. I know that I can
        configure my cable modem to use eth1 and let eth0 alone.

        Anyone knowledged in this respect?

        Thanks,
        Eswar

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Perkins"
        <randyperkins@r...> wrote:

        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > >    Anyone did this combination of Linux install before? RH
        > > install warned me that "Boot configuration may not suite your
        > > system, boot disk recommended" I panicked and DIDN'T make a
        /boot
        > > partition. I know that I have done something stupid there. I am
        new to
        > > Linux
        > > world. So, what do you recommend as a solution, also what is that
        > > warning all about?
        > >
        > >    I would also like to know, if my Old data will get
        > > corrupted/destroyed on a failed Linux installation, like will I be
        able
        > > to boot into WinXP until I solve this problem?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Eswar
        > >

        > hello
        >
        > i have a dual boot rh9 and winxp
        >
        > i never make a boot partition
        > i usually see a message similar to what you mention when
        > my / partition is not in the first 1024 cylinders.
        > i have never had a problem.
        > if i was a betting man, and i am, i would say you should be ok.
        >
        > now there is a difference between a /boot partition,
        > and a boot disk. a boot disk is always helpfull.
        >

        > Since i have no idea how you installed linux, i cant comment
        > on your winxp situation. i imagine you have rebooted by now
        > and know where you are at. write back if you have more details
        > of your situation.
        >
        > see ya
        >
        > randy
      • Randy Perkins
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2003
          >   One more question. I am sure you have an Ethernet card and USB
          > ports in your system. OK, here is the situation. I am using a USB based
          > cable modem. When I restart after plugging in the USB modem, I get the
          > modem mapped to "eth0" and my loopback "localhost"
          > seems to have

          glad you are working
          sorry i cant help you with usb modem,
          as i dont have one,
          and have never used usb network device in linux

          i used to have a dsl modem that could be ethernet/usb.
          i always used ethernet.

          this was a couple years ago and usb network products
          werent very stable, but this was in windows.

          if no one can get you going with usb modem,
          maybe your modem also has ethernet ?,
          or your ISP can provide you with a modem that supports ethernet.

          have fun
          randy