[linux-dell-laptops] Install RH6.1 w/o x?

  • jconley@acm.org
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 24, 1999
      New with RH6.1 is the install program switches over to X. My Dell
      Inspiron 7500 is hanging when the X comes up. Actually, I don't know
      if it is a hang or just that I can't see anything on the display. The
      display is all black.

      I know X is running because I can ctrl-alt-F1 and see the console
      output that X puts up when it runs. I can also ctrl-alt-bksp and stop
      the X (but then the install also stops and all I can do is reboot). If
      I go to vt2 and ps I see...
      /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_Mach64 :1 vt7 -s 1440 xf86config
      running.

      I don't doubt that I can get X to work ok, if only I can get the
      install completed.

      So my question is, Is there a command line option (from the first
      install screen) to do the install without X, aka 6.0?
    • Terrence O'Connor
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 24, 1999
        For RH 6.1, you should be able to use expert mode to properly configure X to
        detect your video card. Just enter expert mode by typing 'linux expert' at
        the boot prompt. For your sake, the different consoles during installation
        should be:

        1 - Installation dialog
        2 - shell prompt
        3 - install log
        4 - system log
        5 - other messages
        7 - Xgraphical display

        I don't know what the consoles are in expert mode... but it should allow you
        to fix X. Good luck. Happy Thanksgiving! --tj
      • AndreaG287@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 24, 1999
          You might want to try to run Linux without X Windows. I was able to get the
          VGA mode working with Open Linux by Caldera Systems. I have Mandrake 6.0 and
          6.1. The Mandrake is based on the Red Hat distribution. Do you have the
          LS-120 floppy drive on your system ?
        • AndreaG287@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 24, 1999
            Did you get your X Windows working properly with the correct screen size ?
            Do you have the LS-120 Super Drive on your DELL ?
          • jconley@acm.org
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 29, 1999
              I could not get RH6.1 to run w/o X during the install, even in expert
              mode.

              I dropped back to RH6.0, which does not use X during install. I then
              used method 1 from http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/xserver.h
              tml. Thanks Steve!

              Next I will try the 'upgrade' from RH6.0 to RH6.1; hopefully it will
              pick up on the installed X and not revert to the installation X.

              -Jim

              =187

            • rgunning@jps.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 30, 1999
                At the initial prompt, try "expert text" to do the install. It will
                still try
                to configure X which you can skip. The installation will run entirely
                in text
                mode (at least on my full tower system).

                jconle-@... wrote:
                =191
                > I could not get RH6.1 to run w/o X during the install, even in expert
                > mode.
                >
                > I dropped back to RH6.0, which does not use X during install. I then
                > used method 1 from http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/xserver
                .h
                > tml. Thanks Steve!
                >
                > Next I will try the 'upgrade' from RH6.0 to RH6.1; hopefully it will
                > pick up on the installed X and not revert to the installation X.
                >
                > -Jim
                >
                > jconle-@... wrote:
                > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/?sta
                rt
                > =187
                > > New with RH6.1 is the install program switches over to X. My Dell
                > > Inspiron 7500 is hanging when the X comes up. Actually, I don't
                know
                > > if it is a hang or just that I can't see anything on the display.
                The
                > > display is all black.
                > >
                > > I know X is running because I can ctrl-alt-F1 and see the console
                > > output that X puts up when it runs. I can also ctrl-alt-bksp and
                stop
                > > the X (but then the install also stops and all I can do is reboot).
                > If
                > > I go to vt2 and ps I see...
                > > /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_Mach64 :1 vt7 -s 1440 xf86config
                > > running.
                > >
                > > I don't doubt that I can get X to work ok, if only I can get the
                > > install completed.
                > >
                > > So my question is, Is there a command line option (from the first
                > > install screen) to do the install without X, aka 6.0?

              • Patrik Haggquist
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 8, 2000
                  Read about the problem installaing on my 3700 and the screen went
                  black. Read about a suggestion to use Fn+F7 wich for some reason caused
                  the x-screen to appear and the contionue installation.
                  For getting the X to work you need to refere to all good information
                  avalible. There are several links for more info around
                  like http://www.ps.uci.edu/~tomba/inspiron/

                  good luck

                  /Patrik

                  =187