RedHat 9 installation on a c840

  • Nelson, Ben
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2003
      FWIW, I installed RedHat 9 on my c840 last night, and the nv driver didn't work at
      all for me. In fact, I had to perform a text based install because the graphical install
      just hung on a black screen when it tried to load the 'nv' driver. (this may be the
      same problem Bruce Woodward is seeing)

      Once I got the machine intalled, I installed the nvidia driver downloaded from the nvidia
      web site and everything worked just fine. According to the release notes for XFree86
      4.3, support for the GeForce4 was supposed to be added. Not sure if that only
      applies to the non-mobile version of the chipset (shouldn't really matter though).

      Another thing I noticed was that the default desktop environment was really slow,
      even on my 2.2 Ghz, GeForce4 Latitude c840. This wasn't a huge problem for
      me since I run WindowMaker anyways, but I thought other people would like to know
      if they like to use Gnome/Sawfish, or whatever it is that RedHat is using as their
      default WM these days.

      RH 9 also recognized all of my hardware right off the bat. No extra configuration
      required. I don't have the miniPCI wireless adapter, but my PCMCIA Orinoco Gold
      wireless card was recognized and works.

      With RedHat 7.3, I had to explicitly configure the kernel to use DMA on my cdrw/dvd
      drive. But, again, RedHat 9 has DMA turned on. CD burning works, haven't had a
      chance to try DVD playback yet.

      All ports on my port replicator seem to be working just fine. I've tried the VGA
      port, the PS/2 ports, the serial port and the USB ports.

      One small annoyance was that VMWare couldn't compile the necessary modules it
      needs to run. Specifically, the vmnet module. I downloaded the Beta version of
      VMWare 4 and it works great, has new features and a better UI anyways. I remember
      having this same problem with VMWare when RH7.3 first came out, and I had to figure
      out and make a small tweak to the vmnet source code to get it to compile. They
      ended up coming out with a new release (3.2 I think) that fixed the problem. I didn't
      even bother this time, since verson 4 beta seems to work and I'd probably be
      getting an upgrade license to version 4 when it gets released anyway.

      The new Xcursor support in XFree86 4.3 is pretty nice to have.

      --Ben