Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 8500 ethernet card (Broadcom)

  • Teófilo Ruiz Suárez
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 2, 2003
      El 29-mar-2003 a las 11:01:38, Teófilo Ruiz Suárez escribió:
      > Hi all.

      Hi teo :P

      > I have just bought a new Inspiron 8500 [1] and it's coming to my office
      > with
      > UPS at this moment (I hope that :-P).

      It's not here yet :'(

      > I have been looking around and
      > everything looks all right between it and Linux, even the new ATI Radeon
      > 9000, but I have a little question about the integrated ethernet card, a
      > Broadcom one.
      >
      > What kernel driver, or module, do I have to build?

      I understand that it is a really new model and nobody has play with it,
      well, I'll be the one... ;-)

      I'll try to write a summary on how the (Debian) Linux installation process
      was and send it to this list and linux-laptop.net

      Cheers,
      --
      Teófilo Ruiz Suárez || (teo) || Sevilla, España
      teo@... <-> teo.ruiz@...
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 3, 2003
        If you are going to install red hat 9 on this you may have to comment out
        the mode line in the DRI section or the diaplay will loose its mind (non
        readable screen) after the screen saver trys to blank the display, the
        screen saver displays correctly. I have not tryed any other disto that
        supports XFree 4.3.0.

        Geoffrey

        At 02:02 PM 4/2/2003, you wrote:
        >El 29-mar-2003 a las 11:01:38, Teófilo Ruiz Suárez escribió:
        > > Hi all.
        >
        >Hi teo :P
        >
        > > I have just bought a new Inspiron 8500 [1] and it's coming to my office
        > > with
        > > UPS at this moment (I hope that :-P).
        >
        >It's not here yet :'(
        >
        > > I have been looking around and
        > > everything looks all right between it and Linux, even the new ATI Radeon
        > > 9000, but I have a little question about the integrated ethernet card, a
        > > Broadcom one.
        > >
        > > What kernel driver, or module, do I have to build?
        >
        >I understand that it is a really new model and nobody has play with it,
        >well, I'll be the one... ;-)
        >
        >I'll try to write a summary on how the (Debian) Linux installation process
        >was and send it to this list and linux-laptop.net
        >
        >Cheers,
        >--
        >Teófilo Ruiz Suárez || (teo) || Sevilla, España
        > teo@... <-> teo.ruiz@...
        >GnuPG Key ID: 420718E6
        >FPR: 0280 862C 064B FA76 9A1C EB64 5755 A66C 4207 18E6

        Geoffrey Deasey
        VP Systems
        Netpath, Inc.
        2260 South Church St.
        Suite 601
        Burlington, NC 27215
        www.netpath.net
        deasey@...
      • Teófilo Ruiz Suárez
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 3, 2003
          El 3-abr-2003 a las 09:28:26, Geoffrey Deasey escribió:
          > If you are going to install red hat 9 on this you may have to comment out
          > the mode line in the DRI section or the diaplay will loose its mind (non
          > readable screen) after the screen saver trys to blank the display, the
          > screen saver displays correctly. I have not tryed any other disto that
          > supports XFree 4.3.0.

          Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it works. Anyway I'm going to
          install Debian, whose XFree oficial packages are 4.2.1, however there are
          XFree 4.3 packages available.

          Huh, I am still afraid about the Broadcom card... :-S