Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Have to install NVIDIA kernel every time to use X windows !?!

  • Adam Lowry
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
      ronin2@... wrote:
      > The NVIDIA kernel module does NOT need to be loaded before startx. That
      > was the whole point of my message.
      >
      > I just verified this by leaving the X environment and removing NVdriver
      > with rmmod. Then I did "startx" and it came up just fine.
      >
      > Once again, NVdriver does NOT need to be loaded before starting X. If X
      > is properly configured loading the driver is part of starting X.
      >
      > Kevin

      This is not entirely true. startx does not use insmod or modprobe; it
      makes a request to the kernel module loader. If NVdriver is not loaded
      at startup (which is perfectly acceptable and has no ill effects) then
      it will look for the character device 195. If you're running the nvidia
      driver 3123 or less, the line to add to modules.conf is

      alias char-major-195 NVdriver

      If you're using > 3123, use

      alias char-major-195 nvidia

      just like Mr. Trickett stated.

      But loading the module at startup is not really a problem, in my opinion.

      --
      Adam Lowry adam at therobots dot org
      "Irrationality is the square root of all evil"
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
        On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 10:55:30 +0800
        Adam Lowry <adam@...> wrote:

        > This is not entirely true. startx does not use insmod or modprobe; it
        > makes a request to the kernel module loader. If NVdriver is not loaded
        > at startup (which is perfectly acceptable and has no ill effects) then
        > it will look for the character device 195. If you're running the
        > nvidia driver 3123 or less, the line to add to modules.conf is
        > alias char-major-195 NVdriver
        > If you're using > 3123, use
        > alias char-major-195 nvidia
        > just like Mr. Trickett stated.

        What part of what I said do you believe to be wrong?

        I said loading NVdriver is part of startx. I said you don't need to load
        NVdriver before doing startx.

        Both of these are repeatably, verifiably correct.

        What you said about char-major is true but I didn't address that.

        Kevin