Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Have to install NVIDIA kernel every time to use X windows !?!

  • ronin2@bellatlantic.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
      On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 22:28:29 -0800
      Raju Kurunkad <rajukv@...> wrote:

      > Try adding NVdriver to /etc/modules

      This will cause NVdriver to be inserted during startup.

      I'm skeptical of all this. I've been using NVIDIA for almost two years,
      and I've never been required to insert NVdriver before I startx. In fact
      inserting NVdriver is part of startx.

      I believe the problem is somewhere else, but I'll confess I don't know
      where.

      Kevin
    • Philip Trickett
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
        On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 18:03, ronin2@... wrote:
        > On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 22:28:29 -0800
        > Raju Kurunkad <rajukv@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Try adding NVdriver to /etc/modules
        >
        > This will cause NVdriver to be inserted during startup.
        >
        > I'm skeptical of all this. I've been using NVIDIA for almost two years,
        > and I've never been required to insert NVdriver before I startx. In fact
        > inserting NVdriver is part of startx.

        Try putting this in your /etc/modules.conf

        alias char-major-195 nvidia

        That should fix it hopefully.

        Phil
      • W.K. Vladmir Ward
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003

          There are two parts of the nvidia driver. One is the kernel module, which needs to be loaded before startx. The second is the X driver which is loaded in your XF86Config file.

          Under slackware (which doesn't help much if you're using a different distro which basically sets everything up for you), you would add "/usr/sbin/modprobe nvidia" (I believe that's the path to modprobe...? not on a linux machine at the moment)

          Probably doesn't help you too much though, sorry :(

          Raju Kurunkad <rajukv@...> wrote:

          > Try adding NVdriver to /etc/modules

          This will cause NVdriver to be inserted during startup.

          I'm skeptical of all this. I've been using NVIDIA for almost two years,
          and I've never been required to insert NVdriver before I startx. In fact
          inserting NVdriver is part of startx.

          I believe the problem is somewhere else, but I'll confess I don't know
          where.

          Kevin

          "Walking side by side with death, the devil mocks their every step
          The snow drives back the foot that's slow, the dogs of doom are howling more
          They carry news that must get through, to build a dream for me and you
          They choose the path where no-one goes."

          -Led Zeppelin, "No Quarter"

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • ronin2@bellatlantic.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
            On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:32:47 -0800 (PST)
            "W.K. Vladmir Ward" <web_raptor.geo@...> wrote:

            > There are two parts of the nvidia driver. One is the kernel module,
            > >which needs to be loaded before startx. The second is the X driver
            > >>which is loaded in your XF86Config file.

            The NVIDIA kernel module does NOT need to be loaded before startx. That
            was the whole point of my message.

            I just verified this by leaving the X environment and removing NVdriver
            with rmmod. Then I did "startx" and it came up just fine.

            Once again, NVdriver does NOT need to be loaded before starting X. If X
            is properly configured loading the driver is part of starting X.

            Kevin
          • Adam Lowry
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
              ronin2@... wrote:
              > The NVIDIA kernel module does NOT need to be loaded before startx. That
              > was the whole point of my message.
              >
              > I just verified this by leaving the X environment and removing NVdriver
              > with rmmod. Then I did "startx" and it came up just fine.
              >
              > Once again, NVdriver does NOT need to be loaded before starting X. If X
              > is properly configured loading the driver is part of starting X.
              >
              > Kevin

              This is not entirely true. startx does not use insmod or modprobe; it
              makes a request to the kernel module loader. If NVdriver is not loaded
              at startup (which is perfectly acceptable and has no ill effects) then
              it will look for the character device 195. If you're running the nvidia
              driver 3123 or less, the line to add to modules.conf is

              alias char-major-195 NVdriver

              If you're using > 3123, use

              alias char-major-195 nvidia

              just like Mr. Trickett stated.

              But loading the module at startup is not really a problem, in my opinion.

              --
              Adam Lowry adam at therobots dot org
              "Irrationality is the square root of all evil"
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
                On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 10:55:30 +0800
                Adam Lowry <adam@...> wrote:

                > This is not entirely true. startx does not use insmod or modprobe; it
                > makes a request to the kernel module loader. If NVdriver is not loaded
                > at startup (which is perfectly acceptable and has no ill effects) then
                > it will look for the character device 195. If you're running the
                > nvidia driver 3123 or less, the line to add to modules.conf is
                > alias char-major-195 NVdriver
                > If you're using > 3123, use
                > alias char-major-195 nvidia
                > just like Mr. Trickett stated.

                What part of what I said do you believe to be wrong?

                I said loading NVdriver is part of startx. I said you don't need to load
                NVdriver before doing startx.

                Both of these are repeatably, verifiably correct.

                What you said about char-major is true but I didn't address that.

                Kevin