Re: roadrunner dialup on linux

  • Randy Perkins
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 1, 2003
      hello

      here is my previous post on the subject
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/message/18218

      in different parts of the country,
      you may have a slightly different setup
      the remote line responds to me with "ANSNet"
      yours may be different.

      i also had downloaded the windows executable,
      http://dialaccess.rr.com/dialers/dialers.html,
      to see their connect script in action.
      this is how i know that they have 3 or 4
      different options, depending on how the remote line
      sends its initial response

      i would run the setup i listed in the above link with a terminal window,
      if the first response they send is includes ANSNet
      you are home free.
      other choices are:
      Sprint-ip
      UU.net
      uqkt1
      uqkt2
      saturn.bbn
      most of them have different login sequences

      if it is something different,
      you will need to install the windows dialer on a windows system,
      to get access at the script
      to see what responses are expected out of you.
      or
      email me privately
      as i probably shouldnt publish their script.
      who knows what i agreed to to get it.

      you still have to divulge your credit card number,
      http://dialaccess.rr.com/drwelcome.html
      they say after 10 hours usage a month you have to pay
      when the trial is over,
      but it vaguely seems the trial has been extended
      i have never been charged but i dont use it much.

      my main gaol was to get my linmodem configured
      for linux so it was ready to go when i needed it,
      and also to have portable internet access.
      but i have moved up to a sierra 550 wireless card
      thru sprintpcs for portable internet access.
      now that is a story.

      i do believe that they have the ability to update their windows
      binary dialer configuration, so what may work today could
      become invalid in the future.  Even in windows though, if you
      set up the connect strings manually, you dont need to run their
      binary doodad/spyware?/whateverthey call it.

      i did verify that my username/password was accepted under windows,
      before i tackled the linux connection.
      ok, so i cheated a little .

      write back if you need more assistance

      see ya
      randy

      On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 08:04, RwA wrote:
      Randy,

      I would be interested to hear how you use the RR dial-up with linux.

      TIA,
      Ron...

      --
      Randy Perkins <randyperkins@...>
    • W.K. Vladmir Ward
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 1, 2003

        I figured out how to get to other mail servers than Earthlink - we had to do this at work so our mobile users could connect. Unfortunately we had to use Outlook's settings to do this. I'll try to remember what we did, as it could be useful to someone else :)

         Randy Perkins <randyperkins@...> wrote:

        > I am familiar with Roadrunner people who I know who run with this
        > service like it a lot. I will give it a try and dump my old ISP.

        i have road runner cable modem at home
        and it works,works real well.
        it works better than either of the dsl setups i had had.
        Telocity, and Earthlink.
        Earthlink will not let you conect to any mail
        server but their own, if that is important to you.
        Telocity is outof business

        if you go with roadrunner and they offer roaming dial
        up access, i have figured out how to get it to work
        under linux, if you are interested

        see ya
        randy

        "Walking side by side with death, the devil mocks their every step
        The snow drives back the foot that's slow, the dogs of doom are howling more
        They carry news that must get through, to build a dream for me and you
        They choose the path where no-one goes."

        -Led Zeppelin, "No Quarter"

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • knights25 knights
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 1, 2003

          No problem thanks for the input I appreciate it