Re: Help I just switched to LINUX on my dell 8100

  • Modemjammer
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 1, 2003
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, RwA <rauld2@c...> wrote:
      > Randy,
      >
      > I would be interested to hear how you use the RR dial-up with linux.
      >
      > TIA,
      > Ron...
      >
      > Randy Perkins wrote:
      > >>I am familiar with Roadrunner people who I know who run with this
      > >>service like it a lot. I will give it a try and dump my old ISP.
      > >>

      > > i have road runner cable modem at home
      > > and it works,works real well.
      > > it works better than either of the dsl setups i had had.
      > > Telocity, and Earthlink.
      > > Earthlink will not let you conect to any mail
      > > server but their own, if that is important to you.
      > > Telocity is outof business
      > >
      > > if you go with roadrunner and they offer roaming dial
      > > up access, i have figured out how to get it to work
      > > under linux, if you are interested
      > >
      > > see ya
      > > randy

      I never had a prob with my dell 3800 laptop with linux.

    • Randy Perkins
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 1, 2003
        hello

        here is my previous post on the subject
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/message/18218

        in different parts of the country,
        you may have a slightly different setup
        the remote line responds to me with "ANSNet"
        yours may be different.

        i also had downloaded the windows executable,
        http://dialaccess.rr.com/dialers/dialers.html,
        to see their connect script in action.
        this is how i know that they have 3 or 4
        different options, depending on how the remote line
        sends its initial response

        i would run the setup i listed in the above link with a terminal window,
        if the first response they send is includes ANSNet
        you are home free.
        other choices are:
        Sprint-ip
        UU.net
        uqkt1
        uqkt2
        saturn.bbn
        most of them have different login sequences

        if it is something different,
        you will need to install the windows dialer on a windows system,
        to get access at the script
        to see what responses are expected out of you.
        or
        email me privately
        as i probably shouldnt publish their script.
        who knows what i agreed to to get it.

        you still have to divulge your credit card number,
        http://dialaccess.rr.com/drwelcome.html
        they say after 10 hours usage a month you have to pay
        when the trial is over,
        but it vaguely seems the trial has been extended
        i have never been charged but i dont use it much.

        my main gaol was to get my linmodem configured
        for linux so it was ready to go when i needed it,
        and also to have portable internet access.
        but i have moved up to a sierra 550 wireless card
        thru sprintpcs for portable internet access.
        now that is a story.

        i do believe that they have the ability to update their windows
        binary dialer configuration, so what may work today could
        become invalid in the future.  Even in windows though, if you
        set up the connect strings manually, you dont need to run their
        binary doodad/spyware?/whateverthey call it.

        i did verify that my username/password was accepted under windows,
        before i tackled the linux connection.
        ok, so i cheated a little .

        write back if you need more assistance

        see ya
        randy

        --
        Randy Perkins <randyperkins@...>
      • W.K. Vladmir Ward
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 1, 2003

          I figured out how to get to other mail servers than Earthlink - we had to do this at work so our mobile users could connect. Unfortunately we had to use Outlook's settings to do this. I'll try to remember what we did, as it could be useful to someone else :)

           Randy Perkins <randyperkins@...> wrote:

          > I am familiar with Roadrunner people who I know who run with this
          > service like it a lot. I will give it a try and dump my old ISP.

          i have road runner cable modem at home
          and it works,works real well.
          it works better than either of the dsl setups i had had.
          Telocity, and Earthlink.
          Earthlink will not let you conect to any mail
          server but their own, if that is important to you.
          Telocity is outof business

          if you go with roadrunner and they offer roaming dial
          up access, i have figured out how to get it to work
          under linux, if you are interested

          see ya
          randy

          "Walking side by side with death, the devil mocks their every step
          The snow drives back the foot that's slow, the dogs of doom are howling more
          They carry news that must get through, to build a dream for me and you
          They choose the path where no-one goes."

          -Led Zeppelin, "No Quarter"

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • knights25 knights
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 1, 2003

            No problem thanks for the input I appreciate it