Kernel Modification

  • Sean
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2003
      Hello all,

      I recently decided to attempt to use my Linksys wireless card on my
      latitude. I've read all the sites and gor the info I need, but can
      someone point me in the direction of some documentation, that
      explains how to configure the kernel. I've got bits and pieces , but
      I really would like something a bit more detailed.

      Thanks,
      Sean
    • ronin2@bellatlantic.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2003
        On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 14:20:58 -0000
        "Sean" <seanbra@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I recently decided to attempt to use my Linksys wireless card on my
        > latitude. I've read all the sites and gor the info I need, but can
        > someone point me in the direction of some documentation, that
        > explains how to configure the kernel. I've got bits and pieces , but
        > I really would like something a bit more detailed.

        You'll need the pcmcia-cs package. Get it either from your distribution
        archives or from sourceforge.

        When you configure your kernel disable PCMCIA support. That's right,
        disable it. If you don't, pcmcia-cs will not build driver modules.

        In the Network Devices section, enable Wireless LAN but don't choose any
        devices.

        Build and install your kernel, and reboot to it.

        Go to /usr/src/modules/pcmcia-cs and do what the docs say about
        configuring and installing. I can't remember if it's "make configure &&
        make install" or "./configure && make install".

        Kevin