Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Help I just switched to LINUX on my dell 8100

  • Ian Bell
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 1 1:29 AM
      On Monday 31 Mar 2003 11:33 pm, knights252003 wrote:
      > Vladmir
      >
      > Unfortunately I dont have windows anymore. I did a clean install and
      > the laptop is strictly a LINUX box. I will try your suggestion when I
      > get home and see if that works. I guess the only reason why I ask is
      > beacuse the battery read up until I installed LINUX.

      This appears to be a common problem with Dell laptops. it is the same on my
      i2650 and is due apparently to a bug in the Dell bios. The laptop works fine
      though, you just cannot see the battery level.

      Ian
    • RwA
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 1 5:04 AM
        Randy,

        I would be interested to hear how you use the RR dial-up with linux.

        TIA,
        Ron...

        Randy Perkins wrote:
        >>I am familiar with Roadrunner people who I know who run with this
        >>service like it a lot. I will give it a try and dump my old ISP.
        >>

        > i have road runner cable modem at home
        > and it works,works real well.
        > it works better than either of the dsl setups i had had.
        > Telocity, and Earthlink.
        > Earthlink will not let you conect to any mail
        > server but their own, if that is important to you.
        > Telocity is outof business
        >
        > if you go with roadrunner and they offer roaming dial
        > up access, i have figured out how to get it to work
        > under linux, if you are interested
        >
        > see ya
        > randy

      • Modemjammer
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 1 6:47 AM
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, RwA <rauld2@c...> wrote:
          > Randy,
          >
          > I would be interested to hear how you use the RR dial-up with linux.
          >
          > TIA,
          > Ron...
          >
          > Randy Perkins wrote:
          > >>I am familiar with Roadrunner people who I know who run with this
          > >>service like it a lot. I will give it a try and dump my old ISP.
          > >>

          > > i have road runner cable modem at home
          > > and it works,works real well.
          > > it works better than either of the dsl setups i had had.
          > > Telocity, and Earthlink.
          > > Earthlink will not let you conect to any mail
          > > server but their own, if that is important to you.
          > > Telocity is outof business
          > >
          > > if you go with roadrunner and they offer roaming dial
          > > up access, i have figured out how to get it to work
          > > under linux, if you are interested
          > >
          > > see ya
          > > randy

          I never had a prob with my dell 3800 laptop with linux.

        • Randy Perkins
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 1 7:40 AM
            hello

            here is my previous post on the subject
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/message/18218

            in different parts of the country,
            you may have a slightly different setup
            the remote line responds to me with "ANSNet"
            yours may be different.

            i also had downloaded the windows executable,
            http://dialaccess.rr.com/dialers/dialers.html,
            to see their connect script in action.
            this is how i know that they have 3 or 4
            different options, depending on how the remote line
            sends its initial response

            i would run the setup i listed in the above link with a terminal window,
            if the first response they send is includes ANSNet
            you are home free.
            other choices are:
            Sprint-ip
            UU.net
            uqkt1
            uqkt2
            saturn.bbn
            most of them have different login sequences

            if it is something different,
            you will need to install the windows dialer on a windows system,
            to get access at the script
            to see what responses are expected out of you.
            or
            email me privately
            as i probably shouldnt publish their script.
            who knows what i agreed to to get it.

            you still have to divulge your credit card number,
            http://dialaccess.rr.com/drwelcome.html
            they say after 10 hours usage a month you have to pay
            when the trial is over,
            but it vaguely seems the trial has been extended
            i have never been charged but i dont use it much.

            my main gaol was to get my linmodem configured
            for linux so it was ready to go when i needed it,
            and also to have portable internet access.
            but i have moved up to a sierra 550 wireless card
            thru sprintpcs for portable internet access.
            now that is a story.

            i do believe that they have the ability to update their windows
            binary dialer configuration, so what may work today could
            become invalid in the future.  Even in windows though, if you
            set up the connect strings manually, you dont need to run their
            binary doodad/spyware?/whateverthey call it.

            i did verify that my username/password was accepted under windows,
            before i tackled the linux connection.
            ok, so i cheated a little .

            write back if you need more assistance

            see ya
            randy

            --
            Randy Perkins <randyperkins@...>
          • W.K. Vladmir Ward
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 1 9:12 AM

              I figured out how to get to other mail servers than Earthlink - we had to do this at work so our mobile users could connect. Unfortunately we had to use Outlook's settings to do this. I'll try to remember what we did, as it could be useful to someone else :)

               Randy Perkins <randyperkins@...> wrote:

              > I am familiar with Roadrunner people who I know who run with this
              > service like it a lot. I will give it a try and dump my old ISP.

              i have road runner cable modem at home
              and it works,works real well.
              it works better than either of the dsl setups i had had.
              Telocity, and Earthlink.
              Earthlink will not let you conect to any mail
              server but their own, if that is important to you.
              Telocity is outof business

              if you go with roadrunner and they offer roaming dial
              up access, i have figured out how to get it to work
              under linux, if you are interested

              see ya
              randy

              "Walking side by side with death, the devil mocks their every step
              The snow drives back the foot that's slow, the dogs of doom are howling more
              They carry news that must get through, to build a dream for me and you
              They choose the path where no-one goes."

              -Led Zeppelin, "No Quarter"

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • knights25 knights
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 1 3:19 PM

                No problem thanks for the input I appreciate it