Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Cannot change permissions on shared partition with WinXP

  • Genc B. Kastrati
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2003
      Antonincha,

      I fixed the problem, by adding the umask=0000 in the options in "fstab".

      It is working great now, I can write to it, I can read from it both as
      root and as a normal user.

      Thanks for the help :)
      --
      Genc B. Kastrati

      genck@... ; genckas@... ; genc@...
      Geneva(+41787351584) - Kosova(+38138227178)

      Prishtina Technology Group
      http://www.pr-tech.net
    • Kevin McKinley
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 5, 2003
        On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 17:58:23 -0000
        "Axe T. Groin" <axetogroin@...> wrote:

        > I've recently bought and installed Debian on a Inspiron 2650. I
        > have a few problems I'll be asking about shortly, but the biggest
        > problem right now is my shared partition.
        >
        > Before reinstalling everything, I partitioned using the gnu/linux
        > tools. I installed WinXP first, then Debian. After that, I went
        > back into WinXP to format the D: drive as a VFAT partition to be
        > shared by both operating systems. I mount this partition as /home
        > under Debian, but the permissions are set to 755 with root as the
        > owner. The line in my fstab is:

        VFAT doesn't support ownership or permissions. So a strategy of mounting a
        VFAT partition as /home is fundamentally flawed.

        On my system I have a 2Gb VFAT partition that Windows sees as D:. I mount
        this as /windata. You could mount it somewhere else, like
        /home/<you>/winfiles.

        Kevin