Help I just switched to LINUX on my dell 8100

  • knights252003
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 30, 2003
      Hello I just switched to LINUX on my 8100. I am very new at this so
      please be patient. I installed Redhat 8.0 on my Inspirion 8100 (
      with a little help of course). It looks like all is working well
      except three minor problems ( at least the ones I can detect for
      now). The first one is my laptops power supply. I have to run it
      from an outlet because the laptop no longer detects the batteries.
      The batteries are fully charged and were working when I had Windows
      installed. How can I get my laptop to detect my batteries? Two the
      cooling system does not seem to be functioning properly as it did
      before. How can I fix that? Three I am having troube getting online.
      It seems like all my modem properties are properly set up. My ISP is
      MSN (56K). Would anyone know if MSN supports LINUX? If so how would
      I get the values to connect to the internet? I hope someone can help
      it would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying to get this
      working for sometime now with no success.

      Thank You
    • W.K. Vladmir Ward
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 31, 2003
        It's my belief that there are specific kernel modules
        for Dell laptops (not sure what for). Anyone?

        And, about the ISP, oh my god. If I recall correctly
        MSN needs a dialer program (probably to keep linux
        users from using their service!). If you want to spend
        your time looking to see if you can find a way to use
        your MSN dialer, feel free. I think someone was
        working on a way to dial MSN with a ppp dialer
        script...

        If you want my advice, get a real ISP! :)

        --- knights252003 <knights25@...> wrote:
        > Hello I just switched to LINUX on my 8100. I am very
        > new at this so
        > please be patient. I installed Redhat 8.0 on my
        > Inspirion 8100 (
        > with a little help of course). It looks like all is
        > working well
        > except three minor problems ( at least the ones I
        > can detect for
        > now). The first one is my laptops power supply. I
        > have to run it
        > from an outlet because the laptop no longer detects
        > the batteries.
        > The batteries are fully charged and were working
        > when I had Windows
        > installed. How can I get my laptop to detect my
        > batteries? Two the
        > cooling system does not seem to be functioning
        > properly as it did
        > before. How can I fix that? Three I am having troube
        > getting online.
        > It seems like all my modem properties are properly
        > set up. My ISP is
        > MSN (56K). Would anyone know if MSN supports LINUX?
        > If so how would
        > I get the values to connect to the internet? I hope
        > someone can help
        > it would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying
        > to get this
        > working for sometime now with no success.
        >
        > Thank You

        =====

        "Walking side by side with death, the devil mocks their every step
        The snow drives back the foot that's slow, the dogs of doom are howling more
        They carry news that must get through, to build a dream for me and you
        They choose the path where no-one goes."

        -Led Zeppelin, "No Quarter"

        http://platinum.yahoo.com
      • knights25 knights
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 31, 2003

          Thanks for the advice on the ISP...Is there one you would recommend for LINUX laptop and for my home PC which I run windows....Also if anyone has any advice on the first part of my question HELP :)

          Thanks

          >From: "W.K. Vladmir Ward"
          >To: linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Help I just switched to LINUX on my dell 8100
          >Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 13:11:35 -0800 (PST)

        • Randy Perkins
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 31, 2003
            hello

            let me ask you this,
            dont have the laptop plugged in,
            and
            when you hit the power on button does your laptop
            come on?

            if it doesnt,
            it has nothing to do with linux

            the computer has no idea what operating system
            is running until after the bios screen.

            since you also mentioned problems with cooling,
            i am guessing that you may have some kind of hardware problem

            good luck

            randy

            >> now). The first one is my laptops power supply. I

            > have to run it

            > from an outlet because the laptop no longer detects

            > the batteries.

            > The batteries are fully charged and were working

            > when I had Windows

            > installed. How can I get my laptop to detect my

            > batteries?

          • knights252003
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 31, 2003
              Hey Randy

              Thanks for getting back to me. I tried to run my laptop the first
              time the other day without the power cord the laptop came on and I
              was able to get to my KDE but only for a few seconds. A box appeared
              saying that my battery level was less than 1% and then it shut off.
              This is why I am assuming that LINUX is not reading my battery level.
              When I plug in the laptop to try to charge it the charging indicator
              does not light up and there is no indication it is charging when I am
              working on the laptop while plugged in...
              Thanks

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Perkins"
              <randyperkins@r...> wrote:
              > hello
              >
              > let me ask you this,
              > dont have the laptop plugged in,
              > and
              > when you hit the power on button does your laptop
              > come on?
              >
              > if it doesnt,
              > it has nothing to do with linux
              >
              > the computer has no idea what operating system
              > is running until after the bios screen.
              >
              > since you also mentioned problems with cooling,
              > i am guessing that you may have some kind of hardware problem
              >
              > good luck
              >
              > randy
              >

              > >> now). The first one is my laptops power supply. I
              >
              > > have to run it
              >
              > > from an outlet because the laptop no longer detects
              >
              > > the batteries.
              >
              > > The batteries are fully charged and were working
              >
              > > when I had Windows
              >
              > > installed. How can I get my laptop to detect my
              >
              > > batteries?

            • Sudhakar Govindavajhala
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 31, 2003
                On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 17:08, knights252003 wrote:
                > Hey Randy
                >
                > Thanks for getting back to me. I tried to run my laptop the first
                > time the other day without the power cord the laptop came on and I
                > was able to get to my KDE but only for a few seconds. A box appeared
                > saying that my battery level was less than 1% and then it shut off.

                do u really care about power management? u may want to just disable
                the power management on the laptop.

                /sbin/chkconfig --level 35 apmd off

                Sudhakar.

                > This is why I am assuming that LINUX is not reading my battery level.
                > When I plug in the laptop to try to charge it the charging indicator
                > does not light up and there is no indication it is charging when I am
                > working on the laptop while plugged in...
                > Thanks
                >

                > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Perkins"
                > <randyperkins@r...> wrote:
                > > hello
                > >
                > > let me ask you this,
                > > dont have the laptop plugged in,
                > > and
                > > when you hit the power on button does your laptop
                > > come on?
                > >
                > > if it doesnt,
                > > it has nothing to do with linux
                > >
                > > the computer has no idea what operating system
                > > is running until after the bios screen.
                > >
                > > since you also mentioned problems with cooling,
                > > i am guessing that you may have some kind of hardware problem
                > >
                > > good luck
                > >
                > > randy

                > > > have to run it
                > >
                > > > from an outlet because the laptop no longer detects
                > >
                > > > the batteries.
                > >
                > > > The batteries are fully charged and were working
                > >
                > > > when I had Windows
                > >
                > > > installed. How can I get my laptop to detect my
                > >
                > > > batteries?

                Sudhakar Govindavajhala Department of Computer Science
                Graduate Student, Princeton University
                Ph : (c) +1 609 273 8407 (o) +1 609 258 1763
                +1 609 258 1798
                http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~sudhakar
              • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 31, 2003
                  Well, I used to use ExecPc, which is just a local ISP
                  in Wisconsin I believe. But recently I've had
                  RoadRunner cable internet, and I've been very pleased.

                  I'd imagine Earthlink would be a good choice for
                  internet access, though it may be a bit pricey - we
                  use it for laptops here at work but I don't know how
                  much it costs.

                  And I've never used linux on a modem, either :) My
                  internet connections have always been through the LAN.
                  Makes it very nice, just having to load the NIC
                  modules.

                  ---------------------------------

                  linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com >To:
                  linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com >Subject: Re:
                  [linux-dell-laptops] Help I just switched to LINUX on
                  my dell 8100 >Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 13:11:35 -0800
                  (PST) >

                  Terms of Service.

                  =====

                  "Walking side by side with death, the devil mocks
                  their every step
                  The snow drives back the foot that's slow, the dogs of
                  doom are howling more
                  They carry news that must get through, to build a
                  dream for me and you
                  They choose the path where no-one goes."

                  -Led Zeppelin, "No Quarter"

                  Yahoo! Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, live
                  on your desktop!
                  http://platinum.yahoo.com

                  Terms of Service.

                  =====

                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 31, 2003
                    Ponder...

                    Do you still have a Windows partition on this machine?
                    If you do, does that see the battery/batteries?

                    I'm thinking maybe your battery is bad if the charging
                    indicator doesn't come on and it doesn't seem to
                    charge while plugged in.

                    Try pressing the button on the back of the battery to
                    display it's charge level. If it's low, call up Dell
                    and tell them you can't charge your batteries. It
                    sounds to me very much like it's a problem with either
                    the battery/batteries or the charging system itself.
                    The OS generally has no control over this and only
                    knows what the APM bios tells it, if I'm not mistaken.

                    Thoughts, anyone?

                    =====

                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 31, 2003
                      Vladmir

                      I am familiar with Roadrunner people who I know who run with this
                      service like it a lot. I will give it a try and dump my old ISP.

                      Thanks

                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "W.K. Vladmir Ward"

                    • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 31, 2003
                        :) I switched over about nine months ago and I haven't
                        been disappointed at all. In fact, I'm disappointed
                        when I have to go mobile with my laptop through dialup
                        (on Windows XP to boot, ICK!)

> [...]
                        > dogs of
                        > > doom are howling more
                        > > They carry news that must get through, to build a
                        > > dream for me and you
                        > > They choose the path where no-one goes."
                        > >
                        > > -Led Zeppelin, "No Quarter"

                        > > Yahoo! Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness,
                        > live
                        > > on your desktop!
                        > > http://platinum.yahoo.com

                        > > Terms of Service.
                        > >

                        > > =====
                        > >
                        > > "Walking side by side with death, the devil mocks
                        > their every step
                        > > The snow drives back the foot that's slow, the
                        > dogs of doom are
                        > howling more
                        > > They carry news that must get through, to build a
                        > dream for me and
                        > you
                        > > They choose the path where no-one goes."

                        === message truncated ===

                        =====

                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 31, 2003
                          Vladmir

                          Unfortunately I dont have windows anymore. I did a clean install and
                          the laptop is strictly a LINUX box. I will try your suggestion when I
                          get home and see if that works. I guess the only reason why I ask is
                          beacuse the battery read up until I installed LINUX.

                          <web_raptor.geo@y...> wrote:
                          > Ponder...
                          >
                          > Do you still have a Windows partition on this machine?
                          > If you do, does that see the battery/batteries?
                          >
                          > I'm thinking maybe your battery is bad if the charging
                          > indicator doesn't come on and it doesn't seem to
                          > charge while plugged in.
                          >
                          > Try pressing the button on the back of the battery to
                          > display it's charge level. If it's low, call up Dell
                          > and tell them you can't charge your batteries. It
                          > sounds to me very much like it's a problem with either
                          > the battery/batteries or the charging system itself.
                          > The OS generally has no control over this and only
                          > knows what the APM bios tells it, if I'm not mistaken.
                          >
                          > Thoughts, anyone?
                          >

                          > --- knights252003 <knights25@m...> wrote:
                          > > Hey Randy
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for getting back to me. I tried to run my
                          > > laptop the first
                          > > time the other day without the power cord the laptop
                          > > came on and I
                          > > was able to get to my KDE but only for a few
                          > > seconds. A box appeared
                          > > saying that my battery level was less than 1% and
                          > > then it shut off.
                          > > This is why I am assuming that LINUX is not reading
                          > > my battery level.
                          > > When I plug in the laptop to try to charge it the
                          > > charging indicator
                          > > does not light up and there is no indication it is
                          > > charging when I am
                          > > working on the laptop while plugged in...
                          > > Thanks
                          > >

                          > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Randy
                          > > Perkins"
                          > > <randyperkins@r...> wrote:
                          > > > hello
                          > > >
                          > > > let me ask you this,
                          > > > dont have the laptop plugged in,
                          > > > and
                          > > > when you hit the power on button does your laptop
                          > > > come on?
                          > > >
                          > > > if it doesnt,
                          > > > it has nothing to do with linux
                          > > >
                          > > > the computer has no idea what operating system
                          > > > is running until after the bios screen.
                          > > >
                          > > > since you also mentioned problems with cooling,
                          > > > i am guessing that you may have some kind of
                          > > hardware problem
                          > > >
                          > > > good luck
                          > > >
                          > > > randy

                          > > detects

                          > =====
                          >
                          > "Walking side by side with death, the devil mocks their every step
                          > The snow drives back the foot that's slow, the dogs of doom are
                          howling more
                          > They carry news that must get through, to build a dream for me and
                          you
                          > They choose the path where no-one goes."
                          >
                          > -Led Zeppelin, "No Quarter"

                          > Yahoo! Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, live on your
                          desktop!
                          > http://platinum.yahoo.com
                        • knights252003
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 31, 2003
                            Very good I will get on that I am pretty PO'd with MSN anyway it is
                            def worth it

                            <web_raptor.geo@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                            > > their every step
                            > > > The snow drives back the foot that's slow, the
                            > > dogs of doom are
                            > > howling more
                            > > > They carry news that must get through, to build a
                            > > dream for me and
                            > > you
                            > > > They choose the path where no-one goes."
                            > > >
                            > > > -Led Zeppelin, "No Quarter"

                            > === message truncated ===
                            >

                            > =====
                            >
                            > "Walking side by side with death, the devil mocks their every step
                            > The snow drives back the foot that's slow, the dogs of doom are
                            howling more
                            > They carry news that must get through, to build a dream for me and
                            you
                            > They choose the path where no-one goes."
                            >
                            > -Led Zeppelin, "No Quarter"

                            > Yahoo! Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, live on your
                          • Randy Perkins
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 31, 2003

                              > I am familiar with Roadrunner people who I know who run with this
                              > service like it a lot. I will give it a try and dump my old ISP.

                              i have road runner cable modem at home
                              and it works,works real well.
                              it works better than either of the dsl setups i had had.
                              Telocity, and Earthlink.
                              Earthlink will not let you conect to any mail
                              server but their own, if that is important to you.
                              Telocity is outof business

                              if you go with roadrunner and they offer roaming dial
                              up access, i have figured out how to get it to work
                              under linux, if you are interested

                              see ya
                              randy
                            • Randy Perkins
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 31, 2003
                                this sounds like a hardware problem,

                                if the computer is turned off and you plug up the cord,
                                and it doesnt show it is charging,
                                tells me it is a hardware problem.

                                sorry i cant be of more help on this

                                see ya
                                randy

                                > the laptop to try to charge it the charging indicator does not light up
                                > and there is no indication it is charging when I am working on the
                                > laptop while plugged in...
                              • Ian Bell
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 1, 2003
                                  On Monday 31 Mar 2003 11:33 pm, knights252003 wrote:
                                  > Vladmir
                                  >
                                  > Unfortunately I dont have windows anymore. I did a clean install and
                                  > the laptop is strictly a LINUX box. I will try your suggestion when I
                                  > get home and see if that works. I guess the only reason why I ask is
                                  > beacuse the battery read up until I installed LINUX.

                                  This appears to be a common problem with Dell laptops. it is the same on my
                                  i2650 and is due apparently to a bug in the Dell bios. The laptop works fine
                                  though, you just cannot see the battery level.

                                  Ian
                                • RwA
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 1, 2003
                                    Randy,

                                    I would be interested to hear how you use the RR dial-up with linux.

                                    TIA,
                                    Ron...

                                    Randy Perkins wrote:
                                    >>I am familiar with Roadrunner people who I know who run with this
                                    >>service like it a lot. I will give it a try and dump my old ISP.
                                    >>

                                    > i have road runner cable modem at home
                                    > and it works,works real well.
                                    > it works better than either of the dsl setups i had had.
                                    > Telocity, and Earthlink.
                                    > Earthlink will not let you conect to any mail
                                    > server but their own, if that is important to you.
                                    > Telocity is outof business
                                    >
                                    > if you go with roadrunner and they offer roaming dial
                                    > up access, i have figured out how to get it to work
                                    > under linux, if you are interested
                                    >
                                    > see ya
                                    > randy

                                  • Modemjammer
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 1, 2003
                                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, RwA <rauld2@c...> wrote:
                                      > Randy,
                                      >
                                      > I would be interested to hear how you use the RR dial-up with linux.
                                      >
                                      > TIA,
                                      > Ron...
                                      >
                                      > Randy Perkins wrote:
                                      > >>I am familiar with Roadrunner people who I know who run with this
                                      > >>service like it a lot. I will give it a try and dump my old ISP.
                                      > >>

                                      > > i have road runner cable modem at home
                                      > > and it works,works real well.
                                      > > it works better than either of the dsl setups i had had.
                                      > > Telocity, and Earthlink.
                                      > > Earthlink will not let you conect to any mail
                                      > > server but their own, if that is important to you.
                                      > > Telocity is outof business
                                      > >
                                      > > if you go with roadrunner and they offer roaming dial
                                      > > up access, i have figured out how to get it to work
                                      > > under linux, if you are interested
                                      > >
                                      > > see ya
                                      > > randy

                                      I never had a prob with my dell 3800 laptop with linux.

                                    • Randy Perkins
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 1, 2003
                                        hello

                                        here is my previous post on the subject
                                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/message/18218

                                        in different parts of the country,
                                        you may have a slightly different setup
                                        the remote line responds to me with "ANSNet"
                                        yours may be different.

                                        i also had downloaded the windows executable,
                                        http://dialaccess.rr.com/dialers/dialers.html,
                                        to see their connect script in action.
                                        this is how i know that they have 3 or 4
                                        different options, depending on how the remote line
                                        sends its initial response

                                        i would run the setup i listed in the above link with a terminal window,
                                        if the first response they send is includes ANSNet
                                        you are home free.
                                        other choices are:
                                        Sprint-ip
                                        UU.net
                                        uqkt1
                                        uqkt2
                                        saturn.bbn
                                        most of them have different login sequences

                                        if it is something different,
                                        you will need to install the windows dialer on a windows system,
                                        to get access at the script
                                        to see what responses are expected out of you.
                                        or
                                        email me privately
                                        as i probably shouldnt publish their script.
                                        who knows what i agreed to to get it.

                                        you still have to divulge your credit card number,
                                        http://dialaccess.rr.com/drwelcome.html
                                        they say after 10 hours usage a month you have to pay
                                        when the trial is over,
                                        but it vaguely seems the trial has been extended
                                        i have never been charged but i dont use it much.

                                        my main gaol was to get my linmodem configured
                                        for linux so it was ready to go when i needed it,
                                        and also to have portable internet access.
                                        but i have moved up to a sierra 550 wireless card
                                        thru sprintpcs for portable internet access.
                                        now that is a story.

                                        i do believe that they have the ability to update their windows
                                        binary dialer configuration, so what may work today could
                                        become invalid in the future.  Even in windows though, if you
                                        set up the connect strings manually, you dont need to run their
                                        binary doodad/spyware?/whateverthey call it.

                                        i did verify that my username/password was accepted under windows,
                                        before i tackled the linux connection.
                                        ok, so i cheated a little .

                                        write back if you need more assistance

                                        see ya
                                        randy

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 1, 2003

                                          I figured out how to get to other mail servers than Earthlink - we had to do this at work so our mobile users could connect. Unfortunately we had to use Outlook's settings to do this. I'll try to remember what we did, as it could be useful to someone else :)

                                           Randy Perkins <randyperkins@...> wrote:

                                          > I am familiar with Roadrunner people who I know who run with this
                                          > service like it a lot. I will give it a try and dump my old ISP.

                                          i have road runner cable modem at home
                                          and it works,works real well.
                                          it works better than either of the dsl setups i had had.
                                          Telocity, and Earthlink.
                                          Earthlink will not let you conect to any mail
                                          server but their own, if that is important to you.
                                          Telocity is outof business

                                          if you go with roadrunner and they offer roaming dial
                                          up access, i have figured out how to get it to work
                                          under linux, if you are interested

                                          see ya
                                          randy

                                          "Walking side by side with death, the devil mocks their every step
                                          The snow drives back the foot that's slow, the dogs of doom are howling more
                                          They carry news that must get through, to build a dream for me and you
                                          They choose the path where no-one goes."

                                          -Led Zeppelin, "No Quarter"

                                          Do you Yahoo!?

                                        • knights25 knights
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 1, 2003

                                            No problem thanks for the input I appreciate it