Have to install NVIDIA kernel every time to use X windows !?!

  • Axe T. Groin
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 30, 2003
      I've gotten X windows up and running after downloading and
      installing the NVIDIA drivers, but I have to reinstall the kernel
      module every time.

      i.e., When I type startx, I get a failure with the following lines:

      (EE) NVIDIA(0) Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!
      (EE) NVIDIA(0) *** Aborting ***
      (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

      All I have to do is cd into the NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123/ directory,
      make install, and then I can start X up just fine.

      I'm running on an Inspiron 2650 with Debian as my operating system.

      Thanx,
      msd
    • Alan Carter
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 30, 2003
        On Sunday 30 March 2003 7:06 pm, Axe T. Groin wrote:
        > I've gotten X windows up and running after downloading and
        > installing the NVIDIA drivers, but I have to reinstall the kernel
        > module every time.
        >
        > i.e., When I type startx, I get a failure with the following lines:
        >
        > (EE) NVIDIA(0) Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!
        > (EE) NVIDIA(0) *** Aborting ***
        > (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
        >
        > All I have to do is cd into the NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123/ directory,
        > make install, and then I can start X up just fine.

        you need to make sure that the module NVdriver.o is loaded before starting X,
        'insmod NVdriver.o'. This is acheaved differently on different distributions.

        Alan
      • Axe T. Groin
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 31, 2003
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alan Carter
          <a.carter@p...> wrote:
          > On Sunday 30 March 2003 7:06 pm, Axe T. Groin wrote:
          > > I've gotten X windows up and running after downloading and
          > > installing the NVIDIA drivers, but I have to reinstall the kernel
          > > module every time.
          > >
          > > i.e., When I type startx, I get a failure with the following
          lines:

          > > (EE) NVIDIA(0) Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!
          > > (EE) NVIDIA(0) *** Aborting ***
          > > (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
          > >
          > > All I have to do is cd into the NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123/
          directory,
          > > make install, and then I can start X up just fine.
          > >
          > you need to make sure that the module NVdriver.o is loaded before
          starting X,
          > 'insmod NVdriver.o'. This is acheaved differently on different
          distributions.

          > Alan

          If someone can give me VERY explicit instructions on how to do this
          with Debian, it would be most useful. No matter how hard I try, I
          cannot seem to figure out how to do this. I've looked about the net
          and found nothing that makes this point clear to me.

          Thanx,
          msd
        • Randy Perkins
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 31, 2003

            > > 'insmod NVdriver.o'. This is acheaved differently on different
            > distributions.
            > >
            > > Alan
            >
            > If someone can give me VERY explicit instructions on how to do this
            > with Debian, it would be most useful.  No matter how hard I try, I

            hello
            this isnt very explicit
            but my copy of the file /etc/modules.conf
            has the following line in it

            alias char-major-195 NVdriver

            note that i dont use debian i use redhat,
            and you will have to run a command to get
            the file reread ( modprobe /*) ??

            maybe someone else can give you the exact command.

            or i could give you some bad advice,
            put the line listed above in the file /etc/modules.conf
            and reboot

            sorry i couldnt be more explicit
            i hope this helps and doesnt make your situation worse

            see ya
            randy
          • Raju Kurunkad
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 31, 2003
              > > you need to make sure that the module NVdriver.o is loaded before
              > starting X,
              > > 'insmod NVdriver.o'. This is acheaved differently on different
              > distributions.
              > >
              > > Alan
              >
              > If someone can give me VERY explicit instructions on how to do this
              > with Debian, it would be most useful. No matter how hard I try, I
              > cannot seem to figure out how to do this. I've looked about the net
              > and found nothing that makes this point clear to me.

              Try adding NVdriver to /etc/modules

              Raju
            • ronin2@bellatlantic.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
                On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 22:28:29 -0800
                Raju Kurunkad <rajukv@...> wrote:

                > Try adding NVdriver to /etc/modules

                This will cause NVdriver to be inserted during startup.

                I'm skeptical of all this. I've been using NVIDIA for almost two years,
                and I've never been required to insert NVdriver before I startx. In fact
                inserting NVdriver is part of startx.

                I believe the problem is somewhere else, but I'll confess I don't know
                where.

                Kevin
              • Philip Trickett
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
                  On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 18:03, ronin2@... wrote:
                  > On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 22:28:29 -0800
                  > Raju Kurunkad <rajukv@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Try adding NVdriver to /etc/modules
                  >
                  > This will cause NVdriver to be inserted during startup.
                  >
                  > I'm skeptical of all this. I've been using NVIDIA for almost two years,
                  > and I've never been required to insert NVdriver before I startx. In fact
                  > inserting NVdriver is part of startx.

                  Try putting this in your /etc/modules.conf

                  alias char-major-195 nvidia

                  That should fix it hopefully.

                  Phil
                • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003

                    There are two parts of the nvidia driver. One is the kernel module, which needs to be loaded before startx. The second is the X driver which is loaded in your XF86Config file.

                    Under slackware (which doesn't help much if you're using a different distro which basically sets everything up for you), you would add "/usr/sbin/modprobe nvidia" (I believe that's the path to modprobe...? not on a linux machine at the moment)

                    Probably doesn't help you too much though, sorry :(

                    Raju Kurunkad <rajukv@...> wrote:

                    > Try adding NVdriver to /etc/modules

                    This will cause NVdriver to be inserted during startup.

                    I'm skeptical of all this. I've been using NVIDIA for almost two years,
                    and I've never been required to insert NVdriver before I startx. In fact
                    inserting NVdriver is part of startx.

                    I believe the problem is somewhere else, but I'll confess I don't know
                    where.

                    Kevin

                    "Walking side by side with death, the devil mocks their every step
                    The snow drives back the foot that's slow, the dogs of doom are howling more
                    They carry news that must get through, to build a dream for me and you
                    They choose the path where no-one goes."

                    -Led Zeppelin, "No Quarter"

                    Do you Yahoo!?

                  • ronin2@bellatlantic.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
                      On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:32:47 -0800 (PST)
                      "W.K. Vladmir Ward" <web_raptor.geo@...> wrote:

                      > There are two parts of the nvidia driver. One is the kernel module,
                      > >which needs to be loaded before startx. The second is the X driver
                      > >>which is loaded in your XF86Config file.

                      The NVIDIA kernel module does NOT need to be loaded before startx. That
                      was the whole point of my message.

                      I just verified this by leaving the X environment and removing NVdriver
                      with rmmod. Then I did "startx" and it came up just fine.

                      Once again, NVdriver does NOT need to be loaded before starting X. If X
                      is properly configured loading the driver is part of starting X.

                      Kevin
                    • Adam Lowry
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
                        ronin2@... wrote:
                        > The NVIDIA kernel module does NOT need to be loaded before startx. That
                        > was the whole point of my message.
                        >
                        > I just verified this by leaving the X environment and removing NVdriver
                        > with rmmod. Then I did "startx" and it came up just fine.
                        >
                        > Once again, NVdriver does NOT need to be loaded before starting X. If X
                        > is properly configured loading the driver is part of starting X.
                        >
                        > Kevin

                        This is not entirely true. startx does not use insmod or modprobe; it
                        makes a request to the kernel module loader. If NVdriver is not loaded
                        at startup (which is perfectly acceptable and has no ill effects) then
                        it will look for the character device 195. If you're running the nvidia
                        driver 3123 or less, the line to add to modules.conf is

                        alias char-major-195 NVdriver

                        If you're using > 3123, use

                        alias char-major-195 nvidia

                        just like Mr. Trickett stated.

                        But loading the module at startup is not really a problem, in my opinion.

                        --
                        Adam Lowry adam at therobots dot org
                        "Irrationality is the square root of all evil"
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
                          On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 10:55:30 +0800
                          Adam Lowry <adam@...> wrote:

                          > This is not entirely true. startx does not use insmod or modprobe; it
                          > makes a request to the kernel module loader. If NVdriver is not loaded
                          > at startup (which is perfectly acceptable and has no ill effects) then
                          > it will look for the character device 195. If you're running the
                          > nvidia driver 3123 or less, the line to add to modules.conf is
                          > alias char-major-195 NVdriver
                          > If you're using > 3123, use
                          > alias char-major-195 nvidia
                          > just like Mr. Trickett stated.

                          What part of what I said do you believe to be wrong?

                          I said loading NVdriver is part of startx. I said you don't need to load
                          NVdriver before doing startx.

                          Both of these are repeatably, verifiably correct.

                          What you said about char-major is true but I didn't address that.

                          Kevin