Re: Suspend/resume problem (now works on L C840, sort of)

  • John R. Booker
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 27, 2003
      OOPS: The problem below was that an srpm often installs only a
      compressed tar of the source. You have to uncompress it! Live and
      learn.

      I did get the 2960 NVIDA src to compile with the FAQ modifications
      to prevent it from ignoring APM shutdown request and,
      suspend/resume works 99% of the time. I have used it successfuly with
      very large number-crunching programs running.

      However, today I was using the Gimp to do some image processing and
      had quite a few images open. My machine went to sleep OK, but when it
      woke up, the screen was complete garbage. The pointer was a colored
      square on a plain background of a different color suggesting that the
      screen was not in graphics mode. I had to reboot. Unfortunately, I
      forgot to look at the XFree log before X started on the re-boot
      to see if there was a clue as to what happened.

      Anyway, there is still a problem when lots of graphics memory is in
      use. Maybe the Geoforce 4 card has a problem re-starting when the
      accelerated graphics are off. Any ideas?

      My attempt to get the latest driver (4191) going was a
      qualified failure. It worked for a couple of suspend/resume cycles
      and then hung the machine. The code is slightly different and I
      changed it to do what is happening in 2960. But I guess the issue
      is more subtle.

      John

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "uwbooker" <booker@e...>