disk drive

  • Jim Diamond
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 25, 2003
      I have an I8K with a small and pathetically slow disk drive (I can't
      believe they stuck a drive with only a 768K buffer in this machine (I
      assume that is why it is so slow compared to disk access on other laptops
      I've used)), and I've decided to get a larger capacity one. Does anyone
      know any "gotchas" about the disk drive connections (or the mounting, or
      the ...) that I'd like to know sooner, rather than later?

      And while I'm on that topic, I can get what appears to be a good price on a
      Toshiba 40 GB (4200 RPM) disk drive. Anyone with any experience with
      Toshiba drives? (I know that for every drive out there, there exists a
      person with a horror story, but I can handle the odd horror story...)

      Thanks.

      Jim
    • Hydroceph
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 25, 2003
        Just wandering what others thought was the best Linux
        distro for Inspiron. So far I have had SuSE 8.1 and
        Redhat 8. Both have their ups and downs.

        http://platinum.yahoo.com
      • Randy Perkins
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 25, 2003

          > Just wandering what others thought was the best Linux
          > distro for Inspiron.  So far I have had SuSE 8.1 and

          hello

          just thought i would pass this along,
          may be interesting if you are a redhat user

          redhat is going from rh8 to rh9,
          and it is going to be real soon

          i guess the major revision jump it due to
          using different libraries and something about
          threads and binary compatabilities

          i had been waiting for 8.1
          but i guess i will settle for 9

          randy

          snippet from -------------------
          https://rhn.redhat.com/index.pxt
          ---------------------------

          Red Hat Linux 9 - Get it first!
          Exclusive! Beginning March 31st, paid subscribers to Red Hat Network will
          have access to Red Hat Linux 9 ISOs -- a full week before retail store and
          Red Hat FTP availability.
        • Hydroceph
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 25, 2003
            Thanks for the heads up. I know they left some things
            out of 8 because of possible copywrite protection
            bills that were dismissed sense the 8 was releases. I
            have always favored SuSE, but redhat has been getting
            me attention more with each release.

            --- Randy Perkins <randyperkins@...>
            wrote:

            > > Just wandering what others thought was the best
            > Linux
            > > distro for Inspiron.  So far I have had SuSE
            > 8.1 and
            >
            > hello
            >
            > just thought i would pass this along,
            > may be interesting if you are a redhat user
            >
            > redhat is going from rh8 to rh9,
            > and it is going to be real soon
            >
            > i guess the major revision jump it due to
            > using different libraries and something about
            > threads and binary compatabilities
            >
            > i had been waiting for 8.1
            > but i guess i will settle for 9
            >
            > randy
            >
            > snippet from -------------------
            > https://rhn.redhat.com/index.pxt
            > ---------------------------
            >
            > Red Hat Linux 9 - Get it first!
            > Exclusive! Beginning March 31st, paid subscribers to
            > Red Hat Network will
            > have access to Red Hat Linux 9 ISOs -- a full week
            > before retail store and
            > Red Hat FTP availability.

            http://platinum.yahoo.com
          • Philip Trickett
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 25, 2003
              There is a review here:

              HTH,

              Phil
            • Tom Allen
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 26, 2003
                Greetings Hydroceph <exhobo28@...>

                Can you please explain your ups and downs with
                SuSE and Red Hat....?
                I have tried Red Hat 8 on my Inspiron 8100 and it
                hates the modem/nic and as is normal with NVIDIA the
                GeForce 4 go doesn��t work. I am new to the whole
                Linux thing and still have yet to get a single NVIDIA
                card to work (heck for that matter I haven��t been
                able to get an XFREE86 upgrade to work yet)/on my
                desktop Red Hat 8 works well with the nic (still
                doesn��t like my modem...think it is a win modem..
                that��s good cuz I finally have an excuse to get rid
                of it), My sound blaster live doesn��t work (it is
                disabled and I cant figure out how to enable it)..as
                normal the NVIDIA card sits there and stares at me as
                it does NOTHING.

                I have been messing with Mandrake 9.1 and am
                thinking that is the distro I might start really
                working with....i.e...put my time in too. It has the
                most up to date versions of XFree86 and modzilla...and
                off a fresh install the nic was working (it was
                working REALLY slow...but working) so maybe with some
                tweaking it can work with whatever driver that drake
                installed or at the least be a starting point to get
                the modem/nic to work. As normal the NVIDIA card is
                rendered brain dead by installing Linux./on my desktop
                the everything works as much as can be expected for
                Linux. My sound blaster works right off the bat and
                the normal NVIDIA problems persist.

                Like I said ....so far Mandrake 9.1 (when it comes
                out) looks like it might be my friend, through out my
                adventures in Linux�K.mainly because it seems to have
                the least amount of issues ��out of the box�� and the
                fact that it has the latest version of XFree86 means
                that it one less thing to worry about on my way to
                Linux gaming. �� If someone could talk about their
                ups and downs with SuSE that would be great�K.should I
                try it? Or is it worse off then Red Hat? Thanks for
                your input.

                Cybercookie72@...

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 26, 2003
                  I will give mandrake a test run to see how I feel
                  about it, now that you brought it up. Well, Rehat is
                  good out of the box. The hardware monitors work fine.
                  The multimedia sux, but that is because of copywrite
                  laws that the mpaa and the riaa were trying to get
                  passed. But you can download rpms to get that
                  working. Doesn't work great though. Suse, the
                  hardware monitors are impossible to get working right.
                  I have built and rebuilt my kernels and still
                  nothing. I have activated everything remotely
                  hardware related and still nothing. I still like
                  suse. It gives you a ton of software in the 7 disc
                  set (2 are source code), so you don't have to download
                  much at all. Still haven't got my wireless nic to
                  work with redhat or suse, but it is a newer card.
                  As for installing the nvidia drivers, that doesn't
                  work really. What you have to do is swallow the
                  defalts during the install, then sign in root and
                  change the monitor *not graghics) to the xml driver.
                  It will work then,

                  http://platinum.yahoo.com
                • Ian Bell
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 26, 2003
                    On Tuesday 25 Mar 2003 10:58 pm, Hydroceph wrote:
                    > Just wandering what others thought was the best Linux
                    > distro for Inspiron. So far I have had SuSE 8.1 and
                    > Redhat 8. Both have their ups and downs.

                    I have an inspiron 2650. I run rh7.3 on it as I prefer it to 8.0 which looks
                    too much like XP for my liking. No problems with sound, NIC or video (though
                    you need to get the nVidia drivers for best performance).

                    Ian
                  • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 26, 2003
                      Am Mittwoch, 26. März 2003 19:09 schrieb Hydroceph:
                      > I will give mandrake a test run to see how I feel

                      If you have enough bandwidth, I recommend to test knoppix
                      (www.knoppix.org).
                      Runs completely from one CD including OpenOffice, networking,
                      mozilla and so on. The HW-detection is excellent, and there
                      is a script in Alpha-Stage on

                      sh /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall

                      so you can install. It's based on Debian.

                      I just at the moment installing it on an old computer, and
                      everything works fine. Browsing, NFS-Server...

                      Gruß / regards

                      ce

                      ======
                      SuSE 8.0 on a Dell Inspiron 8200:
                      http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
                      ======
                    • Hydroceph
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 26, 2003
                        I have the bandwidth and sadly I have a ton of time:).
                        I am getting it now. It says I can check it out w/o
                        installing, so I figure that will give me a good
                        enough look at it to see what it is like.

                        --- mchristoph.eckert@... wrote:
                        > Am Mittwoch, 26. M�rz 2003 19:09 schrieb Hydroceph:
                        > > I will give mandrake a test run to see how I feel
                        >
                        > If you have enough bandwidth, I recommend to test
                        > knoppix
                        > (www.knoppix.org).
                        > Runs completely from one CD including OpenOffice,
                        > networking,
                        > mozilla and so on. The HW-detection is excellent,
                        > and there
                        > is a script in Alpha-Stage on
                        >
                        > sh /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall
                        >
                        > so you can install. It's based on Debian.
                        >
                        > I just at the moment installing it on an old
                        > computer, and
                        > everything works fine. Browsing, NFS-Server...
                        >

                        > Gru� / regards
                        >

                        > ce
                        >
                        > ======
                        > SuSE 8.0 on a Dell Inspiron 8200:

                        http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
                        > ======

                        http://platinum.yahoo.com
                      • Hydroceph
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 26, 2003
                          Agree that 8 does look like xp. Redhat is saying that
                          in a few more releases, they will be as user friendly
                          as windows. When that happens, I will forever turn my
                          back on redhat. I spend my days building and
                          repairing PCs. I have learned that the average
                          windows user has no business owning a computer. MS
                          just made things too easy though extremely buggy.

                          http://platinum.yahoo.com