Re: Alps Glidepad/Stickpoint Touchpad Problem

  • mbrown56942003
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 6, 2003
      This is what I've got. I tried this alone without the section for the
      external mouse, that doesn't seem to fix it.

      Section "InputDevice"

      # Identifier and driver

      Identifier "Mouse0"
      Driver "mouse"
      Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
      Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
      Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
      Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"

      EndSection

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Sjoerd Mullender
      <Sjoerd.Mullender@c...> wrote:
      > I've seen this problem too. Do you use the IMPS/2 protocol for you
      > mouse in /etc/X11/XF86Config? When I had that I had this problem, but
      > when I changed it to plain PS/2 the problem went away. Of course, I
      > can't use the scroll wheel now. :-(
      >
      > On Thu, Mar 6 2003 "mbrown56942003" wrote:
      >
      > > I've installed Red Hat 8.0, XWindows and GNOME on my Dell Inspiron
      > > 8200.
      > > For the most part it runs great and I run it all the time. The
      > > machine is
      > > dual boot with WinXP Pro installed and I really can't remember the
      > > last
      > > time I ran Windows on it. :-) There is one nagging issue though.
      > > I have a problem with the Alps Glidepad/Stickpoint Touchpad. It works
      > > fine as long as I have an external PS/2 mouse plugged into the ps/2
      > > port.
      > > Without the external mouse the touchpad is unusable. As soon as the
      > > touchpad (or the stick) is touched the pointer heads for a corner of
      > > the
      > > screen and random windows start opening and/or closing. I have to do
      > > CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to quit Xwindows. I've listed my hardware below.
      > > The
      > > video driver I've installed is fglrx-glc22-4.2.0-2.5.1.i586.rpm. Any
      > > ideas would be greatly appreciated.
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > >
      > > Matt Brown
      > > mbrown@m...
      > >
      > > Dell Inspiron 8200
      > > Intel Pentium-4 2,0 GHz mobility CPU
      > > 384 Mb DDR-Ram
      > > 30 Gb harddrive
      > > Ati Radeon Mobility 9000 64 mb
      > > 8x DVD
      > > Alps Glidepad/Stickpoint Touchpad
      > > Integrated 3com 905C Ethernet controller
      > > Crystal 4205 soundchip
      > > Firewire: TI PCI4451
      > > USB: Intel 82801CA
      > > 15" UXGA (1600x1200) LCD Display
    • Pierre Lombard
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 6, 2003

        * mbrown56942003 <mbrown@...> [2003-03-06 16:59]:
        > This is what I've got. I tried this alone without the section for the
        > external mouse, that doesn't seem to fix it.
        >
        > Section "InputDevice"
        >
        > # Identifier and driver
        >
        > Identifier "Mouse0"
        > Driver "mouse"
        > Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
        > Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
        > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        > Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        >
        > EndSection

        FWIW, the only convenient "workaround" I found has been to use a USB mouse.
        There's no longer problem if I plug it before/after launching X or
        before/after booting my i8200. The wheel works fine and the touchpad is
        still fully usable.

        --
        Pierre
      • W.K. Vladmir Ward
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 6, 2003
          You're using the IMPS/2 protocol for your mouse device
          aren't you?

          --- mbrown56942003 <mbrown@...> wrote:
          > I've installed Red Hat 8.0, XWindows and GNOME on my
          > Dell Inspiron
          > 8200.
          > For the most part it runs great and I run it all the
          > time. The
          > machine is
          > dual boot with WinXP Pro installed and I really
          > can't remember the
          > last
          > time I ran Windows on it. :-) There is one nagging
          > issue though.
          > I have a problem with the Alps Glidepad/Stickpoint
          > Touchpad. It works
          > fine as long as I have an external PS/2 mouse
          > plugged into the ps/2
          > port.
          > Without the external mouse the touchpad is unusable.
          > As soon as the
          > touchpad (or the stick) is touched the pointer heads
          > for a corner of
          > the
          > screen and random windows start opening and/or
          > closing. I have to do
          > CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to quit Xwindows. I've listed my
          > hardware below.
          > The
          > video driver I've installed is
          > fglrx-glc22-4.2.0-2.5.1.i586.rpm. Any
          > ideas would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Matt Brown
          > mbrown@...
          >
          > Dell Inspiron 8200
          > Intel Pentium-4 2,0 GHz mobility CPU
          > 384 Mb DDR-Ram
          > 30 Gb harddrive
          > Ati Radeon Mobility 9000 64 mb
          > 8x DVD
          > Alps Glidepad/Stickpoint Touchpad
          > Integrated 3com 905C Ethernet controller
          > Crystal 4205 soundchip
          > Firewire: TI PCI4451
          > USB: Intel 82801CA
          > 15" UXGA (1600x1200) LCD Display

          =====

          "Walking side by side with death, the devil mocks their every step
          The snow drives back the foot that's slow, the dogs of doom are howling more
          They carry news that must get through, to build a dream for me and you
          They choose the path where no-one goes."

          -Led Zeppelin, "No Quarter"

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/
        • W.K. Vladmir Ward
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 6, 2003
            Spoke too soon before :)

            Try commenting out the ZAxisMapping line.

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 6, 2003
              Thanks for the idea, but it didn't seem to help. I was hopeful
              though. :-)

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "W.K. Vladmir Ward"

            • Stephen Lau
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 6, 2003
                What does /dev/mouse point to?
                And is GPM enabled or disabled?

                --
                stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
                http://www.whacked.net/oss/ldl
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 6, 2003
                  Well, I've tried it both with GPM enabled and GPM disabled with the
                  same results. /dev/mouse points to /dev/psaux Perhaps that should
                  be something else?

                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Lau <ldl@g...>

                • Stephen Lau
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 6, 2003
                    If it points to /dev/psaux, then GPM should definitely be disabled.

                    -steve

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 6, 2003
                      I have GPM enabled with my X pointing device as
                      /dev/mouse linked to /dev/psaux. Runs perfectly fine
                      for me.

                      =====

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 6, 2003
                        My setup's been working fine, actually... I think I'll
                        stay with it until I need to change something ;)

                        --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:
                        > Hrm...strange. If I have GPM enabled, I have to
                        > point it to use the gpmdata
                        > repeater device.
                        >
                        > -steve
                        >
                        > On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 01:49:43PM -0800, W.K.
                        > Vladmir Ward wrote:
                        > > I have GPM enabled with my X pointing device as
                        > > /dev/mouse linked to /dev/psaux. Runs perfectly
                        > fine
                        > > for me.
                        > >
                        > > --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:
                        > > > If it points to /dev/psaux, then GPM should
                        > > > definitely be disabled.
                        > > >
                        > > > -steve

                        > GPM
                        > > > disabled with the