slow dvd in i8200

  • g_neeraj <g_neeraj@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2003
      hi,
      i have a dell inspiron 8200 with suse 8.1. everything works fine. i
      have a cd-rw-dvd combo drive. is HL-DT-ST Gcc440 revision 100. vcd,
      svcd, mp3 everything plays well. dvd also plays but is choppy and
      has audio drops. the system does not access the drive continuousyly.
      this was not the case in windows XP. is there any fix for it. i have
      Xine installed.
      neeraj
    • W.K. Vladmir Ward
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2003
        I recommend installing Ogle - it's really the best DVD
        player I've used, even above Xine. Not sure what the
        site is, but do a google search (
        www.google.com/linux/ ) for 'ogle' and it should be
        the first page or so. Make sure you follow the
        instructions carefully; I couldn't get it to run
        correctly unless I installed everything in order.

        Hopefully that will help fix the problem :)

        --- "g_neeraj <g_neeraj@...>"
        <g_neeraj@...> wrote:
        > hi,
        > i have a dell inspiron 8200 with suse 8.1.
        > everything works fine. i
        > have a cd-rw-dvd combo drive. is HL-DT-ST Gcc440
        > revision 100. vcd,
        > svcd, mp3 everything plays well. dvd also plays but
        > is choppy and
        > has audio drops. the system does not access the
        > drive continuousyly.
        > this was not the case in windows XP. is there any
        > fix for it. i have
        > Xine installed.
        > neeraj

        =====

        "Walking side by side with death, the devil mocks their every step
        The snow drives back the foot that's slow, the dogs of doom are howling more
        They carry news that must get through, to build a dream for me and you
        They choose the path where no-one goes."

        -Led Zeppelin, "No Quarter"

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • g_neeraj <g_neeraj@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2003
          hi,
          i forgot to mention i have ogle and mplayer. but both of them have the
          same problem. i had slightly better results with xine. i had to
          increase priority of xine by using renice -10 xine_process_id , but
          was still choppy and slow.
          thanks,
          neeraj

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "W.K. Vladmir Ward"
          <web_raptor.geo@y...> wrote:
          > I recommend installing Ogle - it's really the best DVD
          > player I've used, even above Xine. Not sure what the
          > site is, but do a google search (
          > www.google.com/linux/ ) for 'ogle' and it should be
          > the first page or so. Make sure you follow the
          > instructions carefully; I couldn't get it to run
          > correctly unless I installed everything in order.
          >
          > Hopefully that will help fix the problem :)
          >

          > --- "g_neeraj <g_neeraj@y...>"
          > <g_neeraj@y...> wrote:
          > > hi,
          > > i have a dell inspiron 8200 with suse 8.1.
          > > everything works fine. i
          > > have a cd-rw-dvd combo drive. is HL-DT-ST Gcc440
          > > revision 100. vcd,
          > > svcd, mp3 everything plays well. dvd also plays but
          > > is choppy and
          > > has audio drops. the system does not access the
          > > drive continuousyly.
          > > this was not the case in windows XP. is there any
          > > fix for it. i have
          > > Xine installed.
          > > neeraj
          > >

          > =====
          >
          > "Walking side by side with death, the devil mocks their every step
          > The snow drives back the foot that's slow, the dogs of doom are
          howling more
          > They carry news that must get through, to build a dream for me and
          you
          > They choose the path where no-one goes."
          >
          > -Led Zeppelin, "No Quarter"

          > http://taxes.yahoo.com/
        • Stephen Lau
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2003
            hi neeraj,
            search through the archives and you'll see a lot of people have had this
            problem (which means i should probably add it to the faq). try enabling dma
            for the dvd drive with hdparm

            -steve

            --
            stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
            http://www.whacked.net/oss/ldl
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 2003
              might as well mention the rest while i'm at it.
              if that doesn't fix it. try disbaling any APM stuff that might be periodically
              polling.

              and make sure you're using Xv, not Xshm.

              make sure DRI is turned on. (not 100% sure if this is necessary- but its nice
              to have anyway)

              -steve