XFree86 4.3 rock!

  • Søren Madsen
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 3 11:01 PM
      Hi!

      I have just successfully installed the new XFree under mdk 9.0, and I
      just want to inform you that it works great. I have previously only
      been using the vesa-driver with my Radeon 9k, because of other driver
      crashing when suspending. But the new XFree86 works great with their
      "ati"-driver, so I guess I now finally have 2D-acceleration, YEAH!
      And it also solved my problem with other resultions than 1600x1200.
      <ctrl><alt><Fn><p/æ> works great now. And btw... The lower resolutions
      looks fine to me :)

      Over and out!

      Søren Madsen
    • Søren Madsen
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 4 12:54 AM
        Hi Again!

        It seems that i might have been a little bit enthusiastic there... The
        <Fn><d> does not work very well with the new ati driver. But, the
        problem can be solved by doing the usual "go to console and press
        <Fn><d>" thing...
        Otherwise it seems to work pertty well... Ie. no real crashes by now... :)

        Regards,
        Søren Madsen
      • grivell <grivell@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 4 10:53 AM
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Søren Madsen <Soeren@M...>
          <Soeren@M...> wrote:

          > I have just successfully installed the new XFree under mdk 9.0, and I
          > just want to inform you that it works great. I have previously only
          > been using the vesa-driver with my Radeon 9k, because of other driver
          > crashing when suspending. But the new XFree86 works great with their
          > "ati"-driver, so I guess I now finally have 2D-acceleration, YEAH!
          > And it also solved my problem with other resultions than 1600x1200.
          > <ctrl><alt><Fn><p/æ> works great now. And btw... The lower resolutions
          > looks fine to me :)

          Is it just 2D accel or can you run things like Foobillards, UT2k3, etc? An=
          y 3D
          support at all?

          Looking into buying a new i82k with Radeon, but if that isn't supported I'l=
          l have to
          go NVidia.

          Thanks.
        • W.K. Vladmir Ward
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 4 1:24 PM
            My two cents on ATI vs NV - nVidia seems to have
            substantially better linux support than ATI does.
            Their products have always worked much much better in
            various systems than ATI's for me. I have an ATI TV
            tuner that wouldn't run under Windows 2000 at all,
            runs marginally under linux.

            Speaking of that, does anyone know of any linux
            modules for an ATI TV Wonder? I'm using BTTV at the
            moment but I don't have access to the lower channels,
            and the display looks horrendous most of the time.
            Thanks

            --- "grivell <grivell@...>" <grivell@...>
            wrote:
            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, S�ren
            > Madsen <Soeren@M...>
            > <Soeren@M...> wrote:
            >
            > > I have just successfully installed the new XFree
            > under mdk 9.0, and I
            > > just want to inform you that it works great. I
            > have previously only
            > > been using the vesa-driver with my Radeon 9k,
            > because of other driver
            > > crashing when suspending. But the new XFree86
            > works great with their
            > > "ati"-driver, so I guess I now finally have
            > 2D-acceleration, YEAH!
            > > And it also solved my problem with other
            > resultions than 1600x1200.
            > > <ctrl><alt><Fn><p/�> works great now. And btw...
            > The lower resolutions
            > > looks fine to me :)
            >
            > Is it just 2D accel or can you run things like
            > Foobillards, UT2k3, etc? An=
            > y 3D
            > support at all?
            >
            > Looking into buying a new i82k with Radeon, but if
            > that isn't supported I'l=
            > l have to
            > go NVidia.
            >
            > Thanks.

            =====

            "Walking side by side with death, the devil mocks their every step
            The snow drives back the foot that's slow, the dogs of doom are howling more
            They carry news that must get through, to build a dream for me and you
            They choose the path where no-one goes."

            -Led Zeppelin, "No Quarter"

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          • Doug Campbell
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 4 9:03 PM
              > My two cents on ATI vs NV - nVidia seems to have
              > substantially better linux support than ATI does.

              In the case of graphics cards for Dell laptops,
              one could make the opposite case. Both nVidia
              and ATI supply their own drivers that do
              accelerated 2D, 3D, and XV. Neither seems
              clearly better than the other. However, ATI
              supplies specs on their cards unlike nVidia,
              resulting in such support appearing in the
              open source drivers (in XFree86 4.2 for the
              Radeon 7500 and now in XFree86 4.3 for the
              Radeon 9000).

              I doubt there are any scientific comparisons
              of these cards, however.

              Doug
            • yildi33
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 7 3:16 AM
                Hi Soeren,

                Could you tell me how you have installed XF 4.3 under MDK 9.0? I have
                tried the Cooker rpms but they need new glib and this conflicts with a
                whole bunch of other packages. I have also tried to compile the
                sources. But I have problems when I do make install. I am stuck with
                4.2 and the vesa driver for my Radeon (I have i8200).

                Also, I don't know if 4.3 solves this, but I have huge problems for
                using java programs like JBuilder. When I do some copy and paste the
                JVM just deadlocks it self untill a killall java :-((

                Thank you in advance for your help, it would be terribly appreciated.

                Murat

                <Soeren@M...> wrote:
                > Hi!
                >
                > I have just successfully installed the new XFree under mdk 9.0, and I
                > just want to inform you that it works great. I have previously only
                > been using the vesa-driver with my Radeon 9k, because of other driver
                > crashing when suspending. But the new XFree86 works great with their
                > "ati"-driver, so I guess I now finally have 2D-acceleration, YEAH!
                > And it also solved my problem with other resultions than 1600x1200.
                > <ctrl><alt><Fn><p/æ> works great now. And btw... The lower resolutions
                > looks fine to me :)
                >
                > Over and out!
                >
                > Søren Madsen
              • Søren Madsen
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 7 3:50 AM
                  > Could you tell me how you have installed XF 4.3 under MDK 9.0? I have
                  > tried the Cooker rpms but they need new glib and this conflicts with a
                  > whole bunch of other packages. I have also tried to compile the
                  > sources. But I have problems when I do make install. I am stuck with
                  > 4.2 and the vesa driver for my Radeon (I have i8200).

                  I have updated my mdk 9 with cooker periodically using urpmi, and it
                  has almost always worked great. If it fails after it has downloaded
                  some of the packages, then try to install them bit by bit. Ie. install
                  some of the deps before installing XFree86. This usually solves my
                  problems with urpmi.
                  Another problem is, that cooker-RPMs does not seem to have updated
                  dependencies. For example, when I last time updated my kde, it did not
                  install an updated kdelibs, and nothing worked, untill I found the
                  problem...
                  You could also wait for 9.1 to appear, which should have XFree86-4.3...

                  > Also, I don't know if 4.3 solves this, but I have huge problems for
                  > using java programs like JBuilder. When I do some copy and paste the
                  > JVM just deadlocks it self untill a killall java :-((

                  Well... Im always having problems with java applets going crazy. Both
                  on my past and my present computer, so my conclusion is that it is
                  caused by buggy java-runtime-envirements....

                  Hope it helps any... :)

                  Regards,
                  Søren Madsen
                • yildi33
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 7 4:48 AM
                    Thank you Soeren,

                    I was hoping that there was a way without installing the Cooker
                    packages :-( I will than rather wait for 9.1 that should be quickly
                    finalized now. Thank you for your help.

                    Regards,

                    Murat

                    wrote:

                    > > Could you tell me how you have installed XF 4.3 under MDK 9.0? I have
                    > > tried the Cooker rpms but they need new glib and this conflicts with a
                    > > whole bunch of other packages. I have also tried to compile the
                    > > sources. But I have problems when I do make install. I am stuck with
                    > > 4.2 and the vesa driver for my Radeon (I have i8200).
                    >
                    > I have updated my mdk 9 with cooker periodically using urpmi, and it
                    > has almost always worked great. If it fails after it has downloaded
                    > some of the packages, then try to install them bit by bit. Ie. install
                    > some of the deps before installing XFree86. This usually solves my
                    > problems with urpmi.
                    > Another problem is, that cooker-RPMs does not seem to have updated
                    > dependencies. For example, when I last time updated my kde, it did not
                    > install an updated kdelibs, and nothing worked, untill I found the
                    > problem...
                    > You could also wait for 9.1 to appear, which should have XFree86-4.3...
                    >
                    > > Also, I don't know if 4.3 solves this, but I have huge problems for
                    > > using java programs like JBuilder. When I do some copy and paste the
                    > > JVM just deadlocks it self untill a killall java :-((
                    > >

                    > Well... Im always having problems with java applets going crazy. Both
                    > on my past and my present computer, so my conclusion is that it is
                    > caused by buggy java-runtime-envirements....
                    >
                    > Hope it helps any... :)
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Søren Madsen
                  • Søren Madsen
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 8 12:39 AM
                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "yildi33" <yildi@w...>
                      wrote:
                      > Thank you Soeren,
                      >
                      > I was hoping that there was a way without installing the Cooker
                      > packages :-( I will than rather wait for 9.1 that should be quickly
                      > finalized now. Thank you for your help.

                      Maby Texstar have compiled the packages? You might try to check at
                      www.pclinuxonline.com and find their ftp-serber....

                      Regards,
                      Søren Madsen
                    • yildi33
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 17 8:09 PM
                        I have just installed Mandrake 9.1 RC2. Even if it is in the (last)
                        alpha state, it works very nicely on my I8200. It comes with XFree 4.3
                        and recognizes everything I use on this computer.. Thanks Mandrake,
                        very nice job!!! It even suspends when I close the lid (I have not
                        tested the ACPI support yet).

                        MY

                        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "yildi33" <yildi@w...> wrote:
                        > Thank you Soeren,
                        >
                        > I was hoping that there was a way without installing the Cooker
                        > packages :-( I will than rather wait for 9.1 that should be quickly
                        > finalized now. Thank you for your help.
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        >
                        > Murat
                        >
                        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Søren Madsen <Soeren@M...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > Could you tell me how you have installed XF 4.3 under MDK 9.0? I
                        have
                        > > > tried the Cooker rpms but they need new glib and this conflicts
                        with a
                        > > > whole bunch of other packages. I have also tried to compile the
                        > > > sources. But I have problems when I do make install. I am stuck with
                        > > > 4.2 and the vesa driver for my Radeon (I have i8200).
                        > >
                        > > I have updated my mdk 9 with cooker periodically using urpmi, and it
                        > > has almost always worked great. If it fails after it has downloaded
                        > > some of the packages, then try to install them bit by bit. Ie. install
                        > > some of the deps before installing XFree86. This usually solves my
                        > > problems with urpmi.
                        > > Another problem is, that cooker-RPMs does not seem to have updated
                        > > dependencies. For example, when I last time updated my kde, it did not
                        > > install an updated kdelibs, and nothing worked, untill I found the
                        > > problem...
                        > > You could also wait for 9.1 to appear, which should have
                        XFree86-4.3...

                        > > > Also, I don't know if 4.3 solves this, but I have huge problems for
                        > > > using java programs like JBuilder. When I do some copy and paste the
                        > > > JVM just deadlocks it self untill a killall java :-((
                        > > >

                        > > Well... Im always having problems with java applets going crazy. Both
                        > > on my past and my present computer, so my conclusion is that it is
                        > > caused by buggy java-runtime-envirements....
                        > >
                        > > Hope it helps any... :)
                        > >
                        > > Regards,
                        > > Søren Madsen
                      • Søren Madsen
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 17 11:18 PM
                          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "yildi33" <yildi@w...> wrote:
                          > I have just installed Mandrake 9.1 RC2. Even if it is in the (last)
                          > alpha state, it works very nicely on my I8200. It comes with XFree 4.3
                          > and recognizes everything I use on this computer.. Thanks Mandrake,
                          > very nice job!!! It even suspends when I close the lid (I have not
                          > tested the ACPI support yet).

                          What kernel is included in 9.1?

                          Regards,
                          Søren Madsen
                        • yildi33
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 19 1:15 PM
                            I think 2.4.21 (I had to downgrade to 2.4.19 because of Win4Lin).

                            MY

                            wrote:
                            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "yildi33" <yildi@w...> wrote:
                            > > I have just installed Mandrake 9.1 RC2. Even if it is in the (last)
                            > > alpha state, it works very nicely on my I8200. It comes with XFree 4.3
                            > > and recognizes everything I use on this computer.. Thanks Mandrake,
                            > > very nice job!!! It even suspends when I close the lid (I have not
                            > > tested the ACPI support yet).
                            >
                            > What kernel is included in 9.1?
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            > Søren Madsen
                          • gregor318
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 20 1:22 AM

                              I'm trying to get XFree4.3 working on RH 8.0, and it would be very
                              helpful if you could run two tests for me:
                              - when you run "glxconfig", do you get a message that DRI is loaded?
                              - how many FPS does "glxgears" give?

                              Thanks
                              Gregor

                              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Søren Madsen <Soeren@M...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "yildi33" <yildi@w...>
                              wrote:
                              > > > I have just installed Mandrake 9.1 RC2. Even if it is in the (last)
                              > > > alpha state, it works very nicely on my I8200. It comes with
                              XFree 4.3
                              > > > and recognizes everything I use on this computer.. Thanks Mandrake,
                              > > > very nice job!!! It even suspends when I close the lid (I have not
                              > > > tested the ACPI support yet).
                              > >
                              > > What kernel is included in 9.1?
                              > >
                              > > Regards,
                              > > Søren Madsen
                            • Søren Madsen
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 20 4:53 AM
                                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "gregor318" <gregor@l...>
                                wrote:
                                > Hi,
                                >
                                > I'm trying to get XFree4.3 working on RH 8.0, and it would be very
                                > helpful if you could run two tests for me:
                                > - when you run "glxconfig", do you get a message that DRI is loaded?
                                > - how many FPS does "glxgears" give?

                                I think I got around 1300 fps with the ati driver, but Im currently
                                using the vesa driver(which gives around 200 fps :( ), because the ati
                                driver is buggy with respect to power management...
                                Anyways... I had to upgrade my kernel in order to get dri loaded,
                                because the radeon.o kernel module was too old. Im now running kernel
                                2.4.21, which has a newer radeon.o modeule. Maby this is your problem?
                                Try looking in the XFree log-file...

                                Hope it helps :)

                                Regards,
                                Søren Madsen
                              • gregor318
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 20 6:15 AM
                                  Søren,

                                  thanks for your answer. I also used the closed source ati drivers but
                                  went ahead and compiled XFree 4.3 from source (including a new
                                  radeon.o), but couldn't get DRI to work (maybe something to do with
                                  AGP). Before I compile my own kernel I'll follow your hint and try a
                                  kernel upgrade.

                                  Regards,
                                  Gregor