Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Left half of backlight dying after 15 minutes when plugged into AC

  • W.K. Vladmir Ward
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2003
      Never heard of anything like that happening. I think
      it may have something to do with the power supply...
      maybe it starts to thrash once it gets a little warm?
      Sorry I can't be of any more help.

      I thought Dell had lifetime tech support for any of
      their products, so that you could call in and figure
      out what the problem is, then see if it justifies
      spending the money to fix it. Call them again, and
      keep calling. Lie to them and tell them you're running
      Windows if you need to.

      --- Andrew <andy_b@...> wrote:
      > I know this sounds weird, but this is what happens:
      >
      > USUALLY (90% of the time) when my laptop is plugged
      > into AC power, within
      > 15-30 minutes, the left side of the backlight will
      > go very dim.
      >
      > the following are other symptoms:
      > * Changing contrast does not work
      >
      > the weird part is this: it only happens when the
      > laptop is plugged into AC
      > power, if I remove the power adapter, it works fine,
      > but then it's running on
      > battery power.
      >
      > I have called dell and all they have said is "We
      > don't support Linux".
      >
      > My laptop is not under warrenty any more :( so just
      > sending it back is not an
      > option.
      >
      > I can only think of 2 possible problems... the AC
      > adapter, or the circutry on
      > the motherboard that deals with the 20V comming from
      > the ac adapter... any
      > other ideas?
      >
      > I am HOPING this is only a $40 problem...
      > Thanx MUCH
      > --
      >
      > --Andrew
      > PGP fingerprint: A00A 1E75 3AB0 610E 2300 6855
      > 1890 C61E E590 F777
      > Link to PGP key:
      > http://linuxboy.dyndns.org/~andy/public_key.gpg

      =====

      "Walking side by side with death, the devil mocks their every step
      The snow drives back the foot that's slow, the dogs of doom are howling more
      They carry news that must get through, to build a dream for me and you
      They choose the path where no-one goes."

      -Led Zeppelin, "No Quarter"

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2003
        On Monday 03 March 2003 12:36 pm, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
        > Never heard of anything like that happening. I think
        > it may have something to do with the power supply...
        > maybe it starts to thrash once it gets a little warm?
        > Sorry I can't be of any more help.
        >
        > I thought Dell had lifetime tech support for any of
        > their products, so that you could call in and figure
        > out what the problem is, then see if it justifies
        > spending the money to fix it. Call them again, and
        > keep calling. Lie to them and tell them you're running
        > Windows if you need to.

        I have tried this to no avail, they like to read from a script :(
        anywho, does anyone know the specs for the backlight on the screen?
        my dad is going to take the power supply to work where one of the maintainence
        people said they'd take a look at it (god bless them and their superior
        equipment :D

        so I'll let you know what happens, I will be making a HOWTO on this if I ever
        get it fixed :\

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 8, 2003
          > I am HOPING this is only a $40 problem...
          > Thanx MUCH
          Good news :) my dad took my AC adapter to work to have one of the
          maintainence guys look at it. they put a load across the PSU and checked the
          voltage... it was fine, for about 5 minutes, then it slowly spiraled down to
          nothing LOL

          so it was the AC adapter afterall :)

          of course... now that I'm using my friend's I8200 battery and my orig. AC
          adapter, the screen is fine... GRRRR!!! I'll leave it on overnight :P

          oh well, I'm replacing the AC adapter anyways so we'll see what happens