RE: [linux-dell-laptops] Left half of backlight dying after 15 minutes when plugged into AC

  • Steve Baldwin
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2003
      Did you try anyone else's AC adapter. That would possibly help isolate
      the problem. Did you run up the Dell diag's off CD. That would confirm
      that the problem is definitely *not* Linux related.

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2003
        On Monday 03 March 2003 12:09 am, Steve Baldwin wrote:
        > Did you try anyone else's AC adapter. That would possibly help isolate
        > the problem. Did you run up the Dell diag's off CD. That would confirm
        > that the problem is definitely *not* Linux related.

        checking with a friend's AC adapter tomorrow, cant find dell diagnostics cd :(
        maybe I could borrow that same friends' CD too :D

        Thanx for the prompt response :)

      • tomwwolf
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2003
          I have been fighting with dell on this on my system (i8k with 1600x1200 display) for the better part of 8 months. I am under warranty, and they still can't fix it.

          In terms of getting the attention of their service people, I had to verify that the problem existed in the bios screens before they would acknowledge it was a hardware issue.

          But anyway, so far they have replaced the display, the mobo, and they are replacing the video this week. There was only one suggestion at tech support that seemed to help for a while... He indicated that this is a design problem with the system (related to the backlight drive circuitry), and it could not be resolved, but it could be very  much improved if you went into bios and turned the display brightness down (and then don't mess with the brightness / contrast controls). Not a good solution, but it is a cheap solution.

          I hope to give you a better answer later this week, but I am not optimistic.

          tom w wolf

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          --Andrew
          PGP fingerprint:  A00A 1E75 3AB0 610E 2300  6855 1890 C61E E590 F777
          Link to PGP key:  http://linuxboy.dyndns.org/~andy/public_key.gpg

        • W.K. Vladmir Ward
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2003
            Never heard of anything like that happening. I think
            it may have something to do with the power supply...
            maybe it starts to thrash once it gets a little warm?
            Sorry I can't be of any more help.

            I thought Dell had lifetime tech support for any of
            their products, so that you could call in and figure
            out what the problem is, then see if it justifies
            spending the money to fix it. Call them again, and
            keep calling. Lie to them and tell them you're running
            Windows if you need to.

            --- Andrew <andy_b@...> wrote:
            > I know this sounds weird, but this is what happens:
            >
            > USUALLY (90% of the time) when my laptop is plugged
            > into AC power, within
            > 15-30 minutes, the left side of the backlight will
            > go very dim.
            >
            > the following are other symptoms:
            > * Changing contrast does not work
            >
            > the weird part is this: it only happens when the
            > laptop is plugged into AC
            > power, if I remove the power adapter, it works fine,
            > but then it's running on
            > battery power.
            >
            > I have called dell and all they have said is "We
            > don't support Linux".
            >
            > My laptop is not under warrenty any more :( so just
            > sending it back is not an
            > option.
            >
            > I can only think of 2 possible problems... the AC
            > adapter, or the circutry on
            > the motherboard that deals with the 20V comming from
            > the ac adapter... any
            > other ideas?
            >
            > I am HOPING this is only a $40 problem...
            > Thanx MUCH
            > --
            >
            > --Andrew
            > PGP fingerprint: A00A 1E75 3AB0 610E 2300 6855
            > 1890 C61E E590 F777
            > Link to PGP key:
            > http://linuxboy.dyndns.org/~andy/public_key.gpg

            =====

            "Walking side by side with death, the devil mocks their every step
            The snow drives back the foot that's slow, the dogs of doom are howling more
            They carry news that must get through, to build a dream for me and you
            They choose the path where no-one goes."

            -Led Zeppelin, "No Quarter"

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          • Andrew
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 4, 2003
              On Monday 03 March 2003 12:36 pm, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
              > Never heard of anything like that happening. I think
              > it may have something to do with the power supply...
              > maybe it starts to thrash once it gets a little warm?
              > Sorry I can't be of any more help.
              >
              > I thought Dell had lifetime tech support for any of
              > their products, so that you could call in and figure
              > out what the problem is, then see if it justifies
              > spending the money to fix it. Call them again, and
              > keep calling. Lie to them and tell them you're running
              > Windows if you need to.

              I have tried this to no avail, they like to read from a script :(
              anywho, does anyone know the specs for the backlight on the screen?
              my dad is going to take the power supply to work where one of the maintainence
              people said they'd take a look at it (god bless them and their superior
              equipment :D

              so I'll let you know what happens, I will be making a HOWTO on this if I ever
              get it fixed :\

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 8, 2003
                > I am HOPING this is only a $40 problem...
                > Thanx MUCH
                Good news :) my dad took my AC adapter to work to have one of the
                maintainence guys look at it. they put a load across the PSU and checked the
                voltage... it was fine, for about 5 minutes, then it slowly spiraled down to
                nothing LOL

                so it was the AC adapter afterall :)

                of course... now that I'm using my friend's I8200 battery and my orig. AC
                adapter, the screen is fine... GRRRR!!! I'll leave it on overnight :P

                oh well, I'm replacing the AC adapter anyways so we'll see what happens