SOUND CARD

  • bdroundtree <BDROUNDTREE@COX.NET>
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2003
      I HAVE THE INSPIRON 8200.I USE REDHAT 8.0.I HAVE A DUEL BOOT SYS.I CAN
      GO TO WIN.XP OR REDHAT 8.0.I HAVE ALL THE SOUND IN WINXP,BUT IN REDHAT
      I CAN ONLY HEAR THE CD.I HAVE THE CRYSTAL CS4205.CAN ANYONE HELP MAKE
      THIS WORK.I NEED THE DRIVER.I ALSO HAVE THE LAPTOP IN A DOCKING
      BAY.CIRRUS DOSEN'T HAVE THE DRIVER AND MICROSOFT IS A JOKE.ANYWAY HOPE
      SOMEONE CAN HELP.THANX,BILL
    • Damon Davison <davison@uni-koeln.de>
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2003
        Hi Bill,

        First of all, you might want to take off the caps lock on your
        keyboard. It's considered rude on the internet to "yell" like that.
        It's also really hard to read (something to do with the way human eyes
        recognize letters). I figure you probably didn't know.

        As root, run the redhat-config-soundcard program and see whether the
        test gives you positive results. If you can hear your CD under
        GNU/Linux, then chances are your soundcard is working OK. Were you
        expecting sound from something else and didn't hear it? For example,
        if you want to play MP3s on your system, you need to install some
        additional software. Redhat left our MP3 support because of potential
        problems with licensing fees. You can get the RPM here:

        http://www.xmms.org/

        and more information on the entire issue here:

        http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_80mm.html

        There are also other things you can do, such as add volume control,
        etc. You can instrcutions for that on my home page:

        http://allolex.freeshell.org/

        Good luck!

        Damon

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "bdroundtree
        <BDROUNDTREE@C...>" <BDROUNDTREE@C...> wrote:
        > i have the inspiron 8200.i use redhat 8.0.i have a duel boot sys.i can
        > go to win.xp or redhat 8.0.i have all the sound in winxp,but in redhat
        > i can only hear the cd.i have the crystal cs4205.can anyone help make
        > this work.i need the driver.i also have the laptop in a docking
        > bay.cirrus dosen't have the driver and microsoft is a joke.anyway hope
        > someone can help.thanx,bill
      • BDROUND-TREE
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2003
          thanx for the response.i was unaware the caps were even on.i'd been working on this problem all day and night.wasen't even thinking of it.no disresect intended.thanx.bill