Recognizing a hot-pluggable CDROM/floppy in RH8.0?

  • karikarhi <karhi@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2003
      I have a Dell Latitude CSx H laptop that I just installed with RH 8.0.
      The laptop has an external IDE port to which you can attach either a
      special CDROM or a floppy drive, both of which come with the laptop.
      On Win2000 the drives are hot-pluggable, so I only plugged them in
      when I needed one. With RH, if I do not have the device connected
      during boot, it won't recognize the drive. Also, if I remove the
      drive after boot and try to reconnect, the drive is not recognized any
      more.

      Is there some script or program I could run after connecting either
      drive, to have the system recognize it? I tried to read up about this
      and some document mentioned magicdev, but I can not find a man page on
      it and it does not seem to have any effect, at least not without
      arguments.
      Thx,
      Kari