Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: PCMCIA 802.11g - Linksys WPC54G

  • Dado Feigenblatt
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
      Oh, should I read in between the lines that not only there are no
      drivers for either of the linksys cards,
      but that there's no workaround to get them working?
      You said this card seems to be the big brother of the TrueMobile1180,
      which I though people managed to get working.
      What would be the recommended cards then? Any 802.11g in sight?
      I'm a little confused by your response.
      I'm sorry if my questions are too basic.
      I'm just starting to research this. Actually, come pointers would be
      very welcome.

      Anyway, do you mean that for the time being I should just forget about
      getting this card to work?

      Thanks.

      Mark Feit wrote:

      >Dado Feigenblatt writes:
      >

      >>Does anyone know if the new 802.11g PCMCIA cards from Linksys (model
      >>

      >WPC54G) work under RH8.0 ?
      >

      >>They are draft 802.11g and 801.11b backward compatible.
      >>Linksys offers a Linux driver for the WPC11 card, but only windows
      >>

      >drivers for the 54G.
      >
      >54g is Broadcom's trademark for its implementation of the 802.11g
      >draft. The Linksys cards appear to be using the BCM94306, which is
      >the bigger brother of the BCM94301 product that makes up the TrueMoble
      >1180 and Linksys WMP11. So odds are good getting Linux drivers will
      >be the same uphill battle as it is with their 802.11b designs.
      >
      >--Mark

    • Ryan Earl
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
        On Monday 03 February 2003 12:45 am, Dado Feigenblatt wrote:
        > Oh, should I read in between the lines that not only there are no
        > drivers for either of the linksys cards,
        > but that there's no workaround to get them working?

        You could decompile the Windows drivers for the unsupported cards and reverse
        engineer linux versions.

        > What would be the recommended cards then? Any 802.11g in sight?

        I was just attemping to get the new DLink 802.11g card (DWL-G650) to work.
        It's an Intersil chipset. Intersil used the Prism interface for all their
        old cards, but alas, the current prism drivers do not work with it.
        Apparently they haven't published programming details for their new 802.11g
        chipset. They may use a slightly altered interface requiring only a small
        update to the driver code.

        The best thing to do is to write Intersil and request specs on their 802.11g
        chipsets. Hopefully, if enough people ask they will rise to the occassion
        and release specs. Optionally you can ask Broadcom though they haven't been
        helpful in the past.

        -ryan
      • Dado Feigenblatt
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
          This sounds way out of my league.
          My C/C++ skills are very limited, and driver programming skills absolutelly
          nonexistent.
          As I don't have the time to delve into that right now, I'll have to lay low
          and wait for brighter minds to come forward.
          Meanwhile, you might have noticed this on another message to this list.

          http://www.petitiononline.com/BCM4301/petition.html

          Thanks for your help
          Dado Feigenblatt