Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: power up time?

  • jsc3@gtf.org
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 2, 2003
      Sudhakar Govindavajhala wrote:

      > while we are on the topic, is it possible to actually burn the computer?
      > as a part of my research, i am interested in writing a program that can
      > generate enuf heat that there is a bit error. i want to stress the hw
      > thru sw to make an error. does this sound too good to be true? any ideas
      > of how else i can stress hw? if u know someother m/c on which this may
      > work, just let me know.

      I don't know, but it is allegedly possible to burn one's self.

      I saw a bit on the CNN web page a few months ago about a guy who
      had left his laptop in his lap for a long time while doing some work
      and he managed to severely burn his private parts. I found it a
      bit incredulous, as I don't see how this could happen over time
      without becoming aware of it before such severe damage occurred
      (the description on CNN was quite specific).

      --
      John Cronin
    • W.K. Vladmir Ward
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003

        I've seen programs on the internet that throw numerous complex equations at the CPU -- I used these to test a machine a couple of times. After testing I popped the computer open and nearly scalded myself. Granted the tests were running for about 20 hours, but I think there's a good possibility you could blow out a CPU by throwing too much at it over a long enough period.

         Sudhakar Govindavajhala <sudhakar@...> wrote:

        > jsc3@g... writes:
        > >
        > > I have a 8000, it also gets hot, and I often leave it up for a week
        > or
        > > more.  The only ill effect I got was the battery went dead after
        > about
        > > two years of this.  This is a normal effect, in general.  Batteries
        > > work much better if you discharge them fully before charging, and
        > they
        > > don't generally do well if charged continuously with little or no
        > > discharging use.
        >
        > The Latitude my I4150 replaced was left running with the lid closed
        > for stretches of up to a couple of months with no adverse effects.
        > The only time it ever got warm was when it was being pushed hard, and
        > even then it wasn't  a big deal.

        while we are on the topic, is it possible to actually burn the computer?
        as a part of my research, i am interested in writing a program that can
        generate enuf heat that there is a bit error.  i want to stress the hw
        thru sw to make an error.  does this sound too good to be true?  any ideas
        of how else i can stress hw?  if u know someother m/c on which this may
        work, just let me know.

        Sudhakar.

        > To avoid damaging the battery, just pull it out; the laptop will run
        > fine without it.  If you want to fill the hole, Dell used to make a
        > plug that looks like a battery but doesn't have anthing in it.  (Or
        > you could just release the battery and leave it sticking out a quarter
        > inch.)
        >
        > -- Mark

        Sudhakar.

        Sudhakar Govindavajhala                        Department of Computer Science
        Graduate Student,                         Princeton University
        Ph : (c) +1 609 273 8407                  (o) +1 609 258 1763
                       http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~sudhakar

        "The clock strikes 12, and moondrops burst out at you from the hiding place.
        Miss Carrie Nurse and Susie Dear would find themselves at Four Winds Bar.
        It's the nexus of the crisis, and the origin of storms.
        Just the place to hopelessly encounter time...
        And then came me..."

        -Metallica, "Astronomy"

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Stephen Lau
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
          On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 12:25:07PM -0500, jsc3@... wrote:
          > I don't know, but it is allegedly possible to burn one's self.
          >
          > I saw a bit on the CNN web page a few months ago about a guy who
          > had left his laptop in his lap for a long time while doing some work
          > and he managed to severely burn his private parts. I found it a
          > bit incredulous, as I don't see how this could happen over time
          > without becoming aware of it before such severe damage occurred
          > (the description on CNN was quite specific).

          I saw the same article and I found it kind of incredulous as well. I don't know about
          y'all, but my private parts are pretty freaking sensitive. I'd notice even a slight
          warmth - let alone a full severe-burn. :-P

          But I suppose talking about private parts is a digression of the topic... :-P

          steve

          --
          stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
          http://www.whacked.net/oss/ldl
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
            can u be more specific as to what kinda things were exactly going on.
            what program is it? what machine is it? after all, i want to write such
            a program for my research!

            Sudahakr

            On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:

            > I've seen programs on the internet that throw numerous complex equations at the CPU -- I used these to test a machine a couple of times. After testing I popped the computer open and nearly scalded myself. Granted the tests were running for about 20 hours, but I think there's a good possibility you could blow out a CPU by throwing too much at it over a long enough period.
            > Sudhakar Govindavajhala <sudhakar@...> wrote:
            >
            > > jsc3@g... writes:
            > > >
            > > > I have a 8000, it also gets hot, and I often leave it up for a week
            > > or
            > > > more. The only ill effect I got was the battery went dead after
            > > about
            > > > two years of this. This is a normal effect, in general. Batteries
            > > > work much better if you discharge them fully before charging, and
            > > they
            > > > don't generally do well if charged continuously with little or no
            > > > discharging use.
            > >
            > > The Latitude my I4150 replaced was left running with the lid closed
            > > for stretches of up to a couple of months with no adverse effects.
            > > The only time it ever got warm was when it was being pushed hard, and
            > > even then it wasn't a big deal.
            >
            > while we are on the topic, is it possible to actually burn the computer?
            > as a part of my research, i am interested in writing a program that can
            > generate enuf heat that there is a bit error. i want to stress the hw
            > thru sw to make an error. does this sound too good to be true? any ideas
            > of how else i can stress hw? if u know someother m/c on which this may
            > work, just let me know.
            >
            > Sudhakar.
            >

            > > To avoid damaging the battery, just pull it out; the laptop will run
            > > fine without it. If you want to fill the hole, Dell used to make a
            > > plug that looks like a battery but doesn't have anthing in it. (Or
            > > you could just release the battery and leave it sticking out a quarter
            > > inch.)
            > >
            > > -- Mark

            Sudhakar.

            Sudhakar Govindavajhala Department of Computer Science
            Graduate Student, Princeton University
            Ph : (c) +1 609 273 8407 (o) +1 609 258 1763
            http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~sudhakar
          • John Wells
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
              I've used this one in the past:

              http://users.ev1.net/~redelm/

              Sudhakar Govindavajhala said:

              > can u be more specific as to what kinda things were exactly going on.
              > what program is it? what machine is it? after all, i want to write
              > such a program for my research!
              >
              > Sudahakr
            • Jim Diamond
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 at 09:30 (-0500), jsc3@... wrote:

                > I have a 8000, it also gets hot, and I often leave it up for a week or
                > more. The only ill effect I got was the battery went dead after about
                > two years of this. This is a normal effect, in general. Batteries
                > work much better if you discharge them fully before charging, and they
                > don't generally do well if charged continuously with little or no
                > discharging use.

                John (et al),

                I agree that NiCd batteries are much happier if you discharge them fully,
                but what I've read about Li-ion (and NiMH) batteries disagrees with that.
                From what I understand, they don't need the discharge cycle that NiCd
                batteries need.

                And, FWIW, the Dell docs said that the more discharge/charge experience the
                battery has, the more it wears out. This suggests to me one might to keep
                it charged up. So far (knock on wood) my battery seems fine.

                I'm sorry to hear that your battery went dead (especially that my I8K is
                coming up on 2 years this summer). Did you have an extrended warrantee?
                If so, is the battery covered? I got the 3 year warrantee, but I have this
                vague recollection of being unclear as to whether that covered the battery
                or not.

                Cheers.

                Jim
              • jsc3@gtf.org
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                  Sudhakar Govindavajhala wrote:

                  > can u be more specific as to what kinda things were exactly going on.
                  > what program is it? what machine is it? after all, i want to write such
                  > a program for my research!

                  Just look for any decent CPU benchmark, the net is full of them.

                  I did a Google search on "CPU stress test", and came up with the
                  following in about a minute:

                  http://users.bigpond.net.au/cpuburn/

                  http://kennethhunt.com/archives/000391.html

                  http://www.phystech.com/download/ubench.html

                  You really should learn to use Google and similar tools.

                  See my comments below about why you are unlikely to be able
                  to burn up a modern Intel CPU.

                  > On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
                  >

                  > > I've seen programs on the internet that throw numerous complex
                  > > equations at the CPU -- I used these to test a machine a couple
                  > > of times. After testing I popped the computer open and nearly scalded
                  > > myself. Granted the tests were running for about 20 hours, but I
                  > > think there's a good possibility you could blow out a CPU by throwing
                  > > too much at it over a long enough period.

                  Intel CPUs have had overheat protection for a long time, certainly all
                  P3s and P4s have it, and I think it went back to the Pentium. P3s hang,
                  but the CPU survives, and P4s actually slow down if they heat up too
                  much. AMD processors, on the other hand, will just burn right up if
                  left to their own devices. The newer Athlons do have some protection
                  circuitry but it requires support in the motherboard, and not many
                  motherboard manufacturers had bothered to implement it the last time
                  I looked. Thus the choice of a CPU fan and heatsink is crucial for
                  AMD Athlon, particularly if you intend to overclock.

                  Tom's Hardware, Anandtech, and other sites have more information
                  about CPU thermal protection. Some of these sites test by removing
                  the heatsink and fan, and seeing what happens. What I describe
                  above is what happens - it takes an Athlon less than 5 seconds
                  to just fry. P3 locks up, P4 slows down.

                  I seriously doubt you can damage the CPU in a Dell laptop, as they
                  all have Intel chips. You might be able to damage other components,
                  but Dell almost certainly runs programs similar to those I listed above
                  for a day or two on the final prototypes before they launch a new
                  laptop model.

                  --
                  John Cronin
                • jsc3@gtf.org
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                    Jim Diamond wrote:

                    > On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 at 09:30 (-0500), jsc3@... wrote:
                    >
                    > > I have a 8000, it also gets hot, and I often leave it up for a week or
                    > > more. The only ill effect I got was the battery went dead after about
                    > > two years of this. This is a normal effect, in general. Batteries
                    > > work much better if you discharge them fully before charging, and they
                    > > don't generally do well if charged continuously with little or no
                    > > discharging use.
                    >
                    > John (et al),
                    >
                    > I agree that NiCd batteries are much happier if you discharge them fully,
                    > but what I've read about Li-ion (and NiMH) batteries disagrees with that.
                    > From what I understand, they don't need the discharge cycle that NiCd
                    > batteries need.

                    Lithium Ion batteries are far less likely to suffer from this than
                    NiCad, or even NiMH, but they are not immune. I did some research on
                    the web, and survey says Lithium Ion batteries used as I described
                    will go toes up earlier than ones that are discharged and charged
                    more frequently.

                    > And, FWIW, the Dell docs said that the more discharge/charge experience the
                    > battery has, the more it wears out. This suggests to me one might to keep
                    > it charged up. So far (knock on wood) my battery seems fine.

                    How old is your system? Mine seemed fine until a couple of months ago.

                    > I'm sorry to hear that your battery went dead (especially that my I8K is
                    > coming up on 2 years this summer). Did you have an extrended warrantee?

                    Yes, I have the three year Complete Care.

                    > If so, is the battery covered? I got the 3 year warrantee, but I have this
                    > vague recollection of being unclear as to whether that covered the battery
                    > or not.

                    The battery is the ONLY component that is explicitly warranteed for ONLY
                    one year, no matter which plan you get.

                    --
                    John Cronin
                  • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                      Errr, I'd have to dig out the program again; it was a
                      Win32 app, running on a Dell GX1 (desktop). I know one
                      of them was calculating Pi, another one was some
                      number sequence... I have it on the server at work,
                      I'll check it out tomorrow and let you know.

                      --- Sudhakar Govindavajhala

                      =====

                      "The clock strikes 12, and moondrops burst out at you from the hiding place.
                      Miss Carrie Nurse and Susie Dear would find themselves at Four Winds Bar.
                      It's the nexus of the crisis, and the origin of storms.
                      Just the place to hopelessly encounter time...
                      And then came me..."

                      -Metallica, "Astronomy"

                      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                    • Jim Diamond
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 19, 2003
                        On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 at 17:34 (-0500), jsc3@... wrote:

                        > Jim Diamond wrote:
                        > >
                        > > On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 at 09:30 (-0500), jsc3@... wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > I have a 8000, it also gets hot, and I often leave it up for a week or
                        > > > more. The only ill effect I got was the battery went dead after about
                        > > > two years of this. This is a normal effect, in general. Batteries
                        > > > work much better if you discharge them fully before charging, and they
                        > > > don't generally do well if charged continuously with little or no
                        > > > discharging use.
                        > >
                        > > John (et al),
                        > >
                        > > I agree that NiCd batteries are much happier if you discharge them fully,
                        > > but what I've read about Li-ion (and NiMH) batteries disagrees with that.
                        > > From what I understand, they don't need the discharge cycle that NiCd
                        > > batteries need.
                        >
                        > Lithium Ion batteries are far less likely to suffer from this than
                        > NiCad, or even NiMH, but they are not immune. I did some research on
                        > the web, and survey says Lithium Ion batteries used as I described
                        > will go toes up earlier than ones that are discharged and charged
                        > more frequently.

                        I had read a detailed article by some people that appeared to have real
                        technical knowledge, and my recollection was that they denied this problem
                        with Li-ion batteries. The web site is http://www.buchmann.ca/ but they
                        have re-organized their documents since I last visited and I didn't
                        immediately see the part that I recalled. However, regardless of my
                        memory, I recommend this web site to any (layman) interested in the issues
                        of different battery types.

                        >> And, FWIW, the Dell docs said that the more discharge/charge experience the
                        >> battery has, the more it wears out. This suggests to me one might to keep
                        >> it charged up. So far (knock on wood) my battery seems fine.
                        > How old is your system? Mine seemed fine until a couple of months ago.
                        My system is now about 18 months old.

                        >> I'm sorry to hear that your battery went dead (especially that my I8K is
                        >> coming up on 2 years this summer). Did you have an extrended warrantee?
                        > Yes, I have the three year Complete Care.
                        >
                        >> If so, is the battery covered? I got the 3 year warrantee, but I have this
                        >> vague recollection of being unclear as to whether that covered the battery
                        >> or not.
                        >
                        > The battery is the ONLY component that is explicitly warranteed for ONLY
                        > one year, no matter which plan you get.
                        That's disappointing... I'm sure I read that Way Back When, but since I
                        haven't needed to know (knock on wood), I've forgotten the details.

                        Cheers.

                        Jim