PCMCIA 802.11g - Linksys WPC54G

  • Dado Feigenblatt
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
      Does anyone know if the new 802.11g PCMCIA cards from Linksys (model WPC54G) work under RH8.0 ?
      They are draft 802.11g and 801.11b backward compatible.
      Linksys offers a Linux driver for the WPC11 card, but only windows drivers for the 54G.
      I'm planning on using it on a dual boot Inspiron 8200.

      Thanks.
      Dado Feigenblatt
    • Mark Feit <mfeit+linux-dell-laptops@noto
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
        Dado Feigenblatt writes:
        > Does anyone know if the new 802.11g PCMCIA cards from Linksys (model
        WPC54G) work under RH8.0 ?
        > They are draft 802.11g and 801.11b backward compatible.
        > Linksys offers a Linux driver for the WPC11 card, but only windows
        drivers for the 54G.

        54g is Broadcom's trademark for its implementation of the 802.11g
        draft. The Linksys cards appear to be using the BCM94306, which is
        the bigger brother of the BCM94301 product that makes up the TrueMoble
        1180 and Linksys WMP11. So odds are good getting Linux drivers will
        be the same uphill battle as it is with their 802.11b designs.

        --Mark
      • Dado Feigenblatt
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
          Oh, should I read in between the lines that not only there are no
          drivers for either of the linksys cards,
          but that there's no workaround to get them working?
          You said this card seems to be the big brother of the TrueMobile1180,
          which I though people managed to get working.
          What would be the recommended cards then? Any 802.11g in sight?
          I'm a little confused by your response.
          I'm sorry if my questions are too basic.
          I'm just starting to research this. Actually, come pointers would be
          very welcome.

          Anyway, do you mean that for the time being I should just forget about
          getting this card to work?

          Thanks.

          Mark Feit wrote:

          >Dado Feigenblatt writes:
          >

          >>Does anyone know if the new 802.11g PCMCIA cards from Linksys (model
          >>

          >WPC54G) work under RH8.0 ?
          >

          >>They are draft 802.11g and 801.11b backward compatible.
          >>Linksys offers a Linux driver for the WPC11 card, but only windows
          >>

          >drivers for the 54G.
          >
          >54g is Broadcom's trademark for its implementation of the 802.11g
          >draft. The Linksys cards appear to be using the BCM94306, which is
          >the bigger brother of the BCM94301 product that makes up the TrueMoble
          >1180 and Linksys WMP11. So odds are good getting Linux drivers will
          >be the same uphill battle as it is with their 802.11b designs.
          >
          >--Mark

        • Ryan Earl
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
            On Monday 03 February 2003 12:45 am, Dado Feigenblatt wrote:
            > Oh, should I read in between the lines that not only there are no
            > drivers for either of the linksys cards,
            > but that there's no workaround to get them working?

            You could decompile the Windows drivers for the unsupported cards and reverse
            engineer linux versions.

            > What would be the recommended cards then? Any 802.11g in sight?

            I was just attemping to get the new DLink 802.11g card (DWL-G650) to work.
            It's an Intersil chipset. Intersil used the Prism interface for all their
            old cards, but alas, the current prism drivers do not work with it.
            Apparently they haven't published programming details for their new 802.11g
            chipset. They may use a slightly altered interface requiring only a small
            update to the driver code.

            The best thing to do is to write Intersil and request specs on their 802.11g
            chipsets. Hopefully, if enough people ask they will rise to the occassion
            and release specs. Optionally you can ask Broadcom though they haven't been
            helpful in the past.

            -ryan
          • Dado Feigenblatt
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
              This sounds way out of my league.
              My C/C++ skills are very limited, and driver programming skills absolutelly
              nonexistent.
              As I don't have the time to delve into that right now, I'll have to lay low
              and wait for brighter minds to come forward.
              Meanwhile, you might have noticed this on another message to this list.

              http://www.petitiononline.com/BCM4301/petition.html

              Thanks for your help
              Dado Feigenblatt