silencing internal (motherboard) speaker

  • Eric Bourque
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1 5:18 PM
      Anyone have any idea how to silence the internal speaker (not the stereo
      speakers on the side, but the loud annoying one inside)? I would like
      the laptop to be silent even when it sends beeps due to suspend, etc. I
      didn't see any BIOS options for this, but I did set the click volume to
      "disabled".

      Cheers,

      Eric
    • Sudhakar Govindavajhala
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1 10:39 PM
        mute in aumix took care of this.

        On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Eric Bourque wrote:

        > Anyone have any idea how to silence the internal speaker (not the stereo
        > speakers on the side, but the loud annoying one inside)? I would like
        > the laptop to be silent even when it sends beeps due to suspend, etc. I
        > didn't see any BIOS options for this, but I did set the click volume to
        > "disabled".
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Eric

        Sudhakar.

        Sudhakar Govindavajhala Department of Computer Science
        Graduate Student, Princeton University
        Ph : (c) +1 609 273 8407 (o) +1 609 258 1763
        http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~sudhakar
      • Eric Bourque
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2 8:13 AM
          On Sun, 2003-02-02 at 01:39, Sudhakar Govindavajhala wrote:
          > mute in aumix took care of this.

          I guess I should have been more clear. I mean the sounds that come from
          the internal speaker (not the ones on the sides) regardless of the OS
          running. For example, when you reboot, there is a "beep" which is
          played. This happens even if you have headphones plugged in, so is
          unrelated to regular audio. How do I silence that so as not to disturb
          people during lectures, etc.

          Cheers,

          Eric
        • Andrew
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2 5:45 PM
            On Sunday 02 February 2003 11:13 am, Eric Bourque wrote:
            > On Sun, 2003-02-02 at 01:39, Sudhakar Govindavajhala wrote:
            > > mute in aumix took care of this.
            >
            > I guess I should have been more clear. I mean the sounds that come from
            > the internal speaker (not the ones on the sides) regardless of the OS
            > running. For example, when you reboot, there is a "beep" which is
            > played. This happens even if you have headphones plugged in, so is
            > unrelated to regular audio. How do I silence that so as not to disturb
            > people during lectures, etc.

            Soldering gun? :P
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Eric

            --Andrew
            PGP fingerprint: A00A 1E75 3AB0 610E 2300 6855 1890 C61E E590 F777
            Link to PGP key: http://linuxboy.dyndns.org/files/pubpgpkey.txt
            The previous link does not work. Mog, my server, is currently dead :(
          • Stephen Lau
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 3 9:01 AM
              You can do what I did - get one of those headphone adapters and just plug
              it in right when you boot so as to silence the motherboard speaker - then
              once the OS is booted - you can mute the PC speaker.
              not the most elegant solution - but it works.

              -steve

              On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 11:13:27AM -0500, Eric Bourque wrote:
              > On Sun, 2003-02-02 at 01:39, Sudhakar Govindavajhala wrote:
              > > mute in aumix took care of this.
              >
              > I guess I should have been more clear. I mean the sounds that come from
              > the internal speaker (not the ones on the sides) regardless of the OS
              > running. For example, when you reboot, there is a "beep" which is
              > played. This happens even if you have headphones plugged in, so is
              > unrelated to regular audio. How do I silence that so as not to disturb
              > people during lectures, etc.
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Eric

              stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
              http://www.whacked.net/oss/ldl
            • W.K. Vladmir Ward
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 3 1:19 PM

                Speaking of aumix, does someone have a link to get to the download for it? I deleted the old tarball off my drive and don't know where to go to get it again.

                Thanks

                 Sudhakar Govindavajhala <sudhakar@...> wrote:

                mute in aumix took care of this.

                On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Eric Bourque wrote:

                > Anyone have any idea how to silence the internal speaker (not the stereo
                > speakers on the side, but the loud annoying one inside)? I would like
                > the laptop to be silent even when it sends beeps due to suspend, etc. I
                > didn't see any BIOS options for this, but I did set the click volume to
                > "disabled".
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Eric

                Sudhakar.

                Sudhakar Govindavajhala                        Department of Computer Science
                Graduate Student,                         Princeton University
                Ph : (c) +1 609 273 8407                  (o) +1 609 258 1763
                               http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~sudhakar

                "The clock strikes 12, and moondrops burst out at you from the hiding place.
                Miss Carrie Nurse and Susie Dear would find themselves at Four Winds Bar.
                It's the nexus of the crisis, and the origin of storms.
                Just the place to hopelessly encounter time...
                And then came me..."

                -Metallica, "Astronomy"

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • James H. Cloos Jr.
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 3 1:24 PM

                  Eric> Anyone have any idea how to silence the internal speaker (not
                  Eric> the stereo speakers on the side, but the loud annoying one
                  Eric> inside)?

                  AFAICT, there is no interal speaker; the internal beeps are routed
                  though the sound card to the stereo speakers (or line out if something
                  is plugged in there.)

                  It definitely routes the system beeps via the headphones.

                  So muting in your favorite mixer should work, as someone else said.

                  -JimC
                • Eric Bourque
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 4 8:24 PM
                    On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 16:24, James H. Cloos Jr. wrote:
                    > AFAICT, there is no interal speaker; the internal beeps are routed
                    > though the sound card to the stereo speakers (or line out if something
                    > is plugged in there.)

                    That's what I had hoped, but it seems to not be the case. I muted the
                    sound, plugged in headphones, and then tried suspending. I heard beeps
                    from the computer which didn't seem to be coming from the speakers on
                    the side. I'm basically talking about the sound you get from ^G on the
                    console.

                    Cheers,

                    Eric
                  • Stephen Lau
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 4 10:13 PM
                      On my I8K - the pc speaker is definitely wired to the regular speakers.
                      Plugging in a set of headphones or a headphone adapter, or muting the sound
                      card stops all sound, including console beeps.

                      -steve