Re: [linux-dell-laptops] dell truemobile 1150 external antenna

  • Dave Edick
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
      In one aspect, the Dell guy was probably right.  You won't need an external antenna to access an access point inside your house.  The range of this wireless stuff is pretty high.  You ought to be able to connect to the access point from at least 100 feet away.

      I didn't use the external antenna connection at all until I decided I wanted to try wardriving.  If you do use an external antenna, you'll probably find that you'll need a pigtail cable that adapts the tiny connector on the card over to a standard N type antenna connector.

      I did my wireless setup manually and all I did was create the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 file, so you're probably on the right track there.

      /Dave/

      On Sat, 2003-02-01 at 01:06, Randy Perkins wrote:
      hey thanks
      i didnt want to pry around and break it before i got started

      wanna here something funny
      i called dell tech support
      and told them i had a question about truemobile 1150
      so i was transfered to a "wireless" support person

      i told him that the picture on the quick setup guide showed
      the antenna connection but that i didnt have one

      he said i dont need an antenna
      and that the truemobile 1150 cant use an external antenna
      and i believed him

      i think the card is configured right
      i just used the gui "redhat-config-network" under rh8
      the only file that was created was

      i have seen reference to /etc/pcmcia/hermes.conf
      but i dont have that file ??

      i guess i will have to wait for my access point to get here
      before i can do much else

      thanks again
      randy

      On Sat, 2003-02-01 at 01:00, Dave Edick wrote:
      > Randy,
      >
      > Pry out the plastic circle, the jack is behind it.  The Orinoco cards
      > are the same.
      >
      > /Dave Edick/
      >

      > On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 20:38, Randy Perkins wrote:
      >         hello
      >         i just go my truemobile 1150 wireless card
      >
      >         it doesnt have a connection for an external antenna ?
      >
      >         i thought it was the same as the orinoco gold,
      >         which i thought had an external antenna
      >
      >         does anyone have a dell truemobile 1150 that has the
      >         external antenna connection
      >
      >         mine has a little circle where the plastic could have been
      >         punched
      >         out and an antenna jack installed, but nothing is there
      >

      >         i havent tried the card yet
      >         my access point hasnt arrived
      >
      >         thanks
      >
      >         randy
      >

      >         --
      >         Randy Perkins <randyperkins@...>
      >         Service.

      Randy Perkins <randyperkins@...>

    • Randy Perkins
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
        yea i just wanted the external antenna jack in case i wanted to try
        something later.
        i felt sorta silly for not trying to pry it off,
        i did sorta "pick" at it a little
        but i have "pried" on things in the past and regretted it :)

        i got my access point
        and everything was easy
        the wireless setup worked fine after i set the card up for dhcp

        did have to change the /etc/resolv.conf due to the fact that the access
        point is providing the dns, when on eth0 i connect to my internal dns
        directly

        i see rh8 has "profiles" which can be set up for different network
        access scenarios .i will have to get something going so the system knows
        to access the network thru eth0 or eth1.

        havent messed with wep yet
        well off to work to pay for this stuff

        see ya
        randy