Re: [linux-dell-laptops] dell truemobile 1150 external antenna

  • Dave Edick
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2003
      Randy,

      Pry out the plastic circle, the jack is behind it.  The Orinoco cards are the same.

      /Dave Edick/

      On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 20:38, Randy Perkins wrote:
      hello
      i just go my truemobile 1150 wireless card

      it doesnt have a connection for an external antenna ?

      i thought it was the same as the orinoco gold,
      which i thought had an external antenna

      does anyone have a dell truemobile 1150 that has the
      external antenna connection

      mine has a little circle where the plastic could have been punched
      out and an antenna jack installed, but nothing is there

      i havent tried the card yet
      my access point hasnt arrived

      thanks

      randy

      --
      Randy Perkins <randyperkins@...>

    • Randy Perkins
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
        hey thanks
        i didnt want to pry around and break it before i got started

        wanna here something funny
        i called dell tech support
        and told them i had a question about truemobile 1150
        so i was transfered to a "wireless" support person

        i told him that the picture on the quick setup guide showed
        the antenna connection but that i didnt have one

        he said i dont need an antenna
        and that the truemobile 1150 cant use an external antenna
        and i believed him

        i think the card is configured right
        i just used the gui "redhat-config-network" under rh8
        the only file that was created was

        i have seen reference to /etc/pcmcia/hermes.conf
        but i dont have that file ??

        i guess i will have to wait for my access point to get here
        before i can do much else

        thanks again
        randy

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
          In one aspect, the Dell guy was probably right.  You won't need an external antenna to access an access point inside your house.  The range of this wireless stuff is pretty high.  You ought to be able to connect to the access point from at least 100 feet away.

          I didn't use the external antenna connection at all until I decided I wanted to try wardriving.  If you do use an external antenna, you'll probably find that you'll need a pigtail cable that adapts the tiny connector on the card over to a standard N type antenna connector.

          I did my wireless setup manually and all I did was create the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 file, so you're probably on the right track there.

          /Dave/

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
            yea i just wanted the external antenna jack in case i wanted to try
            something later.
            i felt sorta silly for not trying to pry it off,
            i did sorta "pick" at it a little
            but i have "pried" on things in the past and regretted it :)

            i got my access point
            and everything was easy
            the wireless setup worked fine after i set the card up for dhcp

            did have to change the /etc/resolv.conf due to the fact that the access
            point is providing the dns, when on eth0 i connect to my internal dns
            directly

            i see rh8 has "profiles" which can be set up for different network
            access scenarios .i will have to get something going so the system knows
            to access the network thru eth0 or eth1.

            havent messed with wep yet
            well off to work to pay for this stuff

            see ya
            randy