Re: TrueMobile 1180

  • amiklas <public@mikl.as>
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2003

      I've posted the petition at:

      http://www.PetitionOnline.com/BCM4301/petition.html

      I figure if we can show Broadcom that there _is_ interest in having
      drivers for Linux, it can only help. People contacting Broadcom
      privately for the spec can point to this petition to demonstrate
      that releasing the spec is worthwhile.

      -- Andrew

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Feit
      <mfeit+linux-dell-laptops@n...>" <mfeit+linux-dell-laptops@n...>
      wrote:
      > Dossy writes:
      > >
      > > I think you'd sooner get a driver written by reverse engineering
      the
      > > Windows XP drivers for the TrueMobile 1180 than you would by
      trying
      > > get the petition signed.
      >
      > Hm, I don't know if you're trying to say that Broadcom isn't going
      > be responsive or that nobody would sign the petition. Reverse
      > engineering the Windows driver is possible, but violates the
      license
      > agreement that comes with it. That approach won't make Broadcom
      want
      > to help us, which does the Linux community more harm than good.
      >
      > The fact of life in the Linux world are that it takes awhile to
      get
      > support for the latest and greatest devices developed. Except in
      > situations where the vendor won't release a driver or the specs to
      > write one, drivers for a device do eventually get written. The
      > support we have now for other wireless chipsets took time, too.
      The