Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: wireless Netgear MA401 (& LinkSys WPC11 rev3) - using orinoco

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2003
      On Thursday 30 January 2003 7:31 pm, Ryan Earl wrote:
      > At 12:27 PM 1/30/2003 -0500, you wrote:
      > >If you want to avoid the hassle of installing wlan-ng drivers, you might
      > > be able to use orinoco/orinoco_cs with hermes out of the box
      > > (RedHat/Mandrake latest distros).
      >
      > Is it a hassle under RedHat/Mandrake? I haven't touched either of those
      > distributions in years. It was incredibly easy in Gentoo:
      >
      > emerge linux-wlan-ng
      >
      > Then if you have special WLAN settings:
      > edit /etc/conf.d/wlan.conf and to put in your SSID,
      > cp /etc/conf.d/wlancfg-DEFAULT /etc/conf.d/wlancfg-YOURSSID
      > edit YOURSSID cfg file with your network settings.
      > Otherwise the defaults will connect to any detected open network.
      >
      > /etc/init.d/wlan start
      > ifconfig wlan0 <settings> or dhcpcd wlan0
      >
      > >Note that these steps also work for a LinkSys WPC11 rev3 card as well
      > >
      > >(though I didn't try WEP on it, yet, as I only really need the one card
      > >right now).
      >
      > I was under the impression that WEP should work for any supported WLAN
      > adapter since the crypto functions were done in software with the crypto
      > libraries and not in hardware.
      >
      > -ryan

      IMHO, wlan-ng is ICKY!!

      I am using the kernel based orinoco drivers supplied with 2.4.20 and they work
      fine with the wpc11v3. only problem is that the encryption key seems to need
      to be 5 chars or more... so f00 doesn't work :-P

      anywho, if I can find it, I wrote a small howto on thje subject... but stay
      away from the wlan-ng drivers, they suck in my view... too confusing, and NO
      documentation that's worth a darn.

      --Andrew
      PGP fingerprint: A00A 1E75 3AB0 610E 2300 6855 1890 C61E E590 F777
      Link to PGP key: http://linuxboy.dyndns.org/files/pubpgpkey.txt
      The previous link does not work. Mog, my server, is currently dead :(