Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Display crashing when suspending in X

  • Uwe Walter
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2003
      On Fre, 2003-01-31 at 17:17, frank rulzmeister wrote:
      > for a bios/kernel solution. apparently dell has released an A07 bios
      > for the latitude C640 but it was not on their website yesterday.

      http://support.dell.com/us/en/filelib/results.asp?sid=LAT_PNT_P4N_C640&lang=EN&lib=0&os=BIOSA&searchtype=filter&devid=2652

      One issue with standby is mentioned, but at least for me this is not
      really fixed yet (and does of course only correspond to Windows):

      >7. Fixed intermittent failure in which the BIOS password screen will
      >appear blank when resuming from Standby.

      However, sometimes, they fix some problems without really mentioning
      them, so I give each new BIOS at least a try until I notice any new
      issues.

      (I'm wondering, why they skipped the A06 version. ;-))

      My current status with the C640, BIOS A07, XFree-4.2, SuSE distro and
      suspend is the following:

      - After suspend-to-RAM (I don't use suspend to disk) the laptop wakes up
      correctly into the former X screen (no garbage!).

      - If I blank the screen with Fn-D and press a key to activate it again,
      it returns garbled!

      In this case,
      Ctrl-Alt-F1 + Fn-D + space (or any key) + Alt-F7
      fixes my X screen for me!

      (Which equals going back to console, blank the screen again, wake it up
      = garbage is away, and go back to X)

      This means, blanking seems to work only on the console right now and not
      on X. I assume, this equals the blanking done by the BIOS when "Display
      Timeout" is set, which I have deactivated already so I never ran into
      this issue.

      Some other "funny" things I don't like are hopefully getting better with
      the next release of XFree-4.3 (due in the near future) which I am really
      looking forward to. The radeon driver is under HEAVY construction over
      there! (See http://www.xfree86.org/cvs/changes.html and search for
      "radeon".)
      But I would not bet, that it will solve the wakeup problems as they
      might be related to the laptop's BIOS.

      If you have any questions, go ahead.

      > pcmcia wireless "easily" did not work for us at all, probably because
      > it was missing that step about modules.conf - and because the chipset
      > for the Proxim/orinoco 802.11a/b cardbus gold is totally new - atheros
      > i believe and their is ZERO support for it.

      As far as I'm following the list, if you have the Truemobile 1180, there
      still is no linux solution (see current discussion about Broadcom in
      "TrueMobile 1180").

      The 1150 is basically an Orinoco clone and works fine.
      (At least for me.)

      Greetings, UW(e)