TrueMobile 1180

  • amiklas <public@mikl.as>
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2003
      Hi all,

      Like many of you, I've spent a bit of time unsuccessfully looking
      around for drivers for the TrueMobile 1180. It doesn't seem like
      any exist. However, with Broadcom's help, I'm sure this could be
      changed. I've been thinking about putting the following petition up
      on petitiononline.com:

      To whom it may concern,

      We, the undersigned, are Linux users who own or are considering the
      purchase of hardware that makes use of the Broadcom BCM4301 802.11b
      wireless chipset.

      These products include (but may not be limited to):

      Dell TrueMobile 1180
      Linksys WMP11 (rev. 2.7)

      However, as of yet, owners of these products (and possibly others)
      have not been able to make use their hardware under Linux. As the
      BCM4301 is integrated in future wireless products, the lack of Linux
      drivers will no doubt cause further inconvenience to many more Linux
      users.

      Therefore, we ask that Broadcom provide the public with Linux
      drivers for the BCM4301. Alternatively, Broadcom could provide
      technical assistance such as a driver development kit to parties
      interested in developing drivers for Linux and other operating
      systems.

      Intersil has been able to offer support for the development of Linux
      drivers for the Prism chipset without damaging their business model.
      Indeed, Linux support may have encouraged individuals to purchase
      products based around the Prism. Therefore, we are confident that
      releasing drivers for the Linux operating system and/or technical
      documentation will prove beneficial to both Broadcom and the users
      of products featuring the BCM4301.

      Do you believe that a large number of signatures on this petition
      would encorage Broadcom to at least help others support the BCM4301?

      Does anyone have any suggestions for this survey?

      Thanks for any input,

      Andrew Miklas
    • Dossy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2003
        On 2003.01.31, amiklas <public@...> <public@...> wrote:

        > Do you believe that a large number of signatures on this petition
        > would encorage Broadcom to at least help others support the BCM4301?

        I think you'd sooner get a driver written by reverse engineering the
        Windows XP drivers for the TrueMobile 1180 than you would by trying to
        get the petition signed.

        Has anyone reached out to Broadcom and asked for spec. documents?

        -- Dossy

        --
        Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...
      • Mark Feit <mfeit+linux-dell-laptops@noto
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 31, 2003
          Dossy writes:

          > I think you'd sooner get a driver written by reverse engineering the
          > Windows XP drivers for the TrueMobile 1180 than you would by trying
          > get the petition signed.

          Hm, I don't know if you're trying to say that Broadcom isn't going to
          be responsive or that nobody would sign the petition. Reverse
          engineering the Windows driver is possible, but violates the license
          agreement that comes with it. That approach won't make Broadcom want
          to help us, which does the Linux community more harm than good.

          The fact of life in the Linux world are that it takes awhile to get
          support for the latest and greatest devices developed. Except in
          situations where the vendor won't release a driver or the specs to
          write one, drivers for a device do eventually get written. The
          support we have now for other wireless chipsets took time, too. The
          driver situation now is very, very good compared to what it was when I
          started using Linux in 1994.

          (Also, see my comments in message 17366.)

          > Has anyone reached out to Broadcom and asked for spec. documents?

          I sent the technical contact listed in the press release for the
          product an email late last week and haven't heard back. If I don't
          hear anything by Monday, I'll go through other channels at Broadcom.

          -- Mark
        • amiklas <public@mikl.as>
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 31, 2003

            I've posted the petition at:

            http://www.PetitionOnline.com/BCM4301/petition.html

            I figure if we can show Broadcom that there _is_ interest in having
            drivers for Linux, it can only help. People contacting Broadcom
            privately for the spec can point to this petition to demonstrate
            that releasing the spec is worthwhile.

            -- Andrew

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Feit
            <mfeit+linux-dell-laptops@n...>" <mfeit+linux-dell-laptops@n...>