Re: [linux-dell-laptops] squandering thousands in one step...

  • Uwe Walter
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2003
      On Mit, 2003-01-29 at 01:23, John Wells wrote:
      > Any precautions I should take? Anything in particular I should check or
      > be wary of?

      I would always put special attention to the HD, as your precious work
      finally resides on that.

      If it was off, it can really take a lot of Gs, so you could be save from
      that side.

      However, I would recommend any laptop-owner to install the "ide-smart"
      utility and put a few lines like the following in your
      /etc/init.d/boot.local script (replace with any script you like and your
      distro runs after booting, I was only too lazy to create a full blow
      startup-script):

      echo "boot.local: Checking smart status of hda:"
      /usr/sbin/ide-smart /dev/hda
      if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
      dialog --msgbox 'check ide-smart!' 5 25
      fi

      ("dialog" is just another program to display a nice dialog box, replace
      with any notify means you appreciate.)

      This checks the SMART status of your HD at each boot. I don't know if
      the BIOS already does that, but at least not that verbosely.

      Of course, this is in NO WAY any insurrance against a HD failure, but it
      MIGHT be possible that it gives you a few hours (!) until a few days
      pre-warning time.

      Greetings, UW(e)