squandering thousands in one step...

  • John Wells
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2003
      The inevitable happened, and I tripped over my cat-5 cable today, jerking
      my three-week old dell inspiron i8200 off a small table and onto the
      carpet. Approximately a 2 1/4 foot drop, and it probably hit the floor at
      a 45 degree angle.

      It was turned off at the time, but the screen was open and flipped all the
      way open (envision an open book) when it hit the floor.

      Anyway, this may sound silly, but I was wondering if I should be concerned
      at all. I'm doing a lot of *very* important work on this during the day,
      and often don't get to back up for 18 hours or so. Don't really know if
      these Dells, or any laptops these days, are really designed to take a blow
      and keep on ticking. I once had an old compaq that was a "rugged" model,
      designed for road use and the occasional spill, but this laptop is a
      "desktop replacement".

      I did opt for the 3 year warranty coverage, which is at least a tad
      reassuring.

      Any precautions I should take? Anything in particular I should check or
      be wary of? Everything seems to be running fine right now, and I assume
      that since it was off I probably avoided any damage, but for peace of mind
      thought I'd pose the question to the group.

      I appreciate any input.

      John
    • Dossy
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 28, 2003
        On 2003.01.28, John Wells <jb@...> wrote:

        > It was turned off at the time, but the screen was open and flipped all
        > the way open (envision an open book) when it hit the floor. [...] Any
        > precautions I should take? Anything in particular I should check or
        > be wary of?

        If it was powered down at the time, I wouldn't worry about the hard
        drive -- most laptop hard drives are rated at some ridiculous 320G of
        shock or some nonsense.

        What I'd worry about: pixel death. Losing individual pixels or whole
        horizontal rows and/or vertical columns of pixels. One or two might not
        seem so bad (especially at 1600x1200 -- you've got pixels to spare) but
        as the display deteriorates, it'll really annoy you.

        Good thing you were smart and got the 3 year warranty (I, myself, went
        with the 4-year CompleteCare). It's the one reason I bought and will
        continue to buy Dell product -- the incredible warranty. Especially
        since my laptop is for business use ... the on-site warranty service
        makes Dell the only choice for business-use computer product.

        I wish you the best of luck ... and hope you're lucky and you don't
        develop pixel death.

        -- Dossy

        --
        Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...
      • John Wells
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 28, 2003
          Dossy said:
          > Good thing you were smart and got the 3 year warranty (I, myself, went
          > with the 4-year CompleteCare). It's the one reason I bought and will
          > continue to buy Dell product -- the incredible warranty. Especially
          > since my laptop is for business use ... the on-site warranty service
          > makes Dell the only choice for business-use computer product.

          Precisely why I opted for Dell as well. I have 3-year
          CompleteCare...doesn't make sense to skimp on service for a laptop, imho.

          > I wish you the best of luck ... and hope you're lucky and you don't
          > develop pixel death.

          Thanks. None yet, but I'm not holding my breath. I wonder how long
          before I can breathe easy if none have developed?

          Thanks for your input! What a horror, dropping a three-week old,
          beautiful laptop ;-).

          John
        • Gregory Gulik
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 28, 2003
            When my laptop fell off a table onto a hard tile floor the display
            developed several vertical lines on the display immediately.

            Other than that the laptop was just fine even though it was turned on at
            the time.

            I too have the three year extended warranty (not completecare) and the
            laptop was repaired without a problem. Once I got an RMA I called
            Airborne Express and they came with a special box the same day.

            I got the repaired laptop back 6 days later.

            The only disappointment is that they upgraded my BIOS to one with the
            dreaded fans on full blast after a resume. I still need to fix that. 8^(

            John Wells wrote:
            > The inevitable happened, and I tripped over my cat-5 cable today, jerking
            > my three-week old dell inspiron i8200 off a small table and onto the
            > carpet. Approximately a 2 1/4 foot drop, and it probably hit the floor at
            > a 45 degree angle.
            >
            > It was turned off at the time, but the screen was open and flipped all the
            > way open (envision an open book) when it hit the floor.
            >
            > Anyway, this may sound silly, but I was wondering if I should be concerned
            > at all. I'm doing a lot of *very* important work on this during the day,
            > and often don't get to back up for 18 hours or so. Don't really know if
            > these Dells, or any laptops these days, are really designed to take a blow
            > and keep on ticking. I once had an old compaq that was a "rugged" model,
            > designed for road use and the occasional spill, but this laptop is a
            > "desktop replacement".
            >
            > I did opt for the 3 year warranty coverage, which is at least a tad
            > reassuring.
            >
            > Any precautions I should take? Anything in particular I should check or
            > be wary of? Everything seems to be running fine right now, and I assume
            > that since it was off I probably avoided any damage, but for peace of mind
            > thought I'd pose the question to the group.
            >
            > I appreciate any input.
            >
            > John

            Greg Gulik http://www.gulik.org/greg/
            greg@... http://www.drivingevents.com/
          • Uwe Walter
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 29, 2003
              On Mit, 2003-01-29 at 06:03, Gregory Gulik wrote:
              > The only disappointment is that they upgraded my BIOS to one with the
              > dreaded fans on full blast after a resume. I still need to fix that. 8^(

              Well, of course, you could flash an older version,
              but I hope you gave "Fn-Z" a try when the fans rev up after resume?

              Greetings, UW(e)
            • Uwe Walter
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 29, 2003
                On Mit, 2003-01-29 at 01:23, John Wells wrote:
                > Any precautions I should take? Anything in particular I should check or
                > be wary of?

                I would always put special attention to the HD, as your precious work
                finally resides on that.

                If it was off, it can really take a lot of Gs, so you could be save from
                that side.

                However, I would recommend any laptop-owner to install the "ide-smart"
                utility and put a few lines like the following in your
                /etc/init.d/boot.local script (replace with any script you like and your
                distro runs after booting, I was only too lazy to create a full blow
                startup-script):

                echo "boot.local: Checking smart status of hda:"
                /usr/sbin/ide-smart /dev/hda
                if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
                dialog --msgbox 'check ide-smart!' 5 25
                fi

                ("dialog" is just another program to display a nice dialog box, replace
                with any notify means you appreciate.)

                This checks the SMART status of your HD at each boot. I don't know if
                the BIOS already does that, but at least not that verbosely.

                Of course, this is in NO WAY any insurrance against a HD failure, but it
                MIGHT be possible that it gives you a few hours (!) until a few days
                pre-warning time.

                Greetings, UW(e)